Who else doesn't eat pass 6 pm??

Options
I'm a true believer that not eating pass 6 is key to losing weight. I have been doing it for a few months and it does work. I was just wondering who else doesn't eat late?

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Timing has nothing to do with weight loss. Calories in and calories out unless you have GERD or acid reflux which makes sleeping difficult. I sometimes eat at 9pm because my son is done with karate practice by that time.
  • jessasweightlossjourney
    Options
    I don't either, unless it's a very small healthy snack. Dinner is at 5 and then I'm usually done for the day. :-)
  • cookielover_96
    cookielover_96 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    On school days dinner is around 5pm. Other than that I try not to eat past 8pm.
  • candacebattle2012
    candacebattle2012 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I think times matters a lot because most of the time when you eat late and go to bed the food doesn't get burned like it would during the day and it eventually turns into fat. Metabolism slows at night

• queenliz99
    Options
    I think times matters a lot because most of the time when you eat late and go to bed the food doesn't get burned like it would during the day and it eventually turns into fat. Metabolism slows at night

Nope, metabolism knows no such thing.
  • Bluwaves1
    Bluwaves1 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I don't think it matters if you eat before bed or not- as long as you log in what you ate.

I work 4-12, so I usually wake up between 9-10, drink coffee. go to the gym 11:30-2-2:30, then I have to rush to get to work. so my down time (lunch is around 5 pm to 6 pm) then I eat something small later in the shift and snack. but after 12:00 am I am done. In bed by 2 am- then repeat the cycle... It is awesome because I can plan what to bring to work and keep under my calories.

So basically if you allow yourself to eat for 8 hours a day, say 10 am to 6 pm for you, and you ate healthy food you would have a hard time getting the calories in!
  • candacebattle2012
    candacebattle2012 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    You guys mean to tell me that all this time I've been starving myself every evening when it actually doesn't matter what time I eat!?!
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    You guys mean to tell me that all this time I've been starving myself every evening when it actually doesn't matter what time I eat!?!

Yes.
  • neohdiver
    neohdiver Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I'm a true believer that not eating pass 6 is key to losing weight. I have been doing it for a few months and it does work. I was just wondering who else doesn't eat late?

Darn, I guess the 29 lbs I've lost since October are imaginary pounds. Just got done eating supper (it's about 10:30 PM here). That's an early supper for me.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options

Yep! Not eating in the evening works for some people, but it's because most people snack at night and when you don't eat at night, you don't eat those snack calories. If you ate at a calorie deficit, you could eat it all at 9 p.m. and still see weight loss.
  • melissalatzel25
    melissalatzel25 Posts: 148 Member
    Options

i used to be like that! but now im a flight attendnt and many times a month my working day starts at 11pm the night before and ends night time the next day, so im eating from midnight to midnight hahaha .... all i do is try keep to 2000 calories within any 24 hour timeframe, sticking to my homabase time in dubai.... and after 1 year i havnt gained a single kilogram :)
  • queenliz99
    Options
    YES
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Lost 25 lbs eating after 8 pm most nights.
    The time you consume your calories is just a preference. It might work better for some people to stop eating at 6 pm but if they aren't going over their calorie deficit it won't keep them from losing weight if they eat at midnight even.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,627 Member
    Options

Eating excess calories gets stored as fat. Your metabolism doesn't know what time it is.

It's great you've lost weight but don't confuse what time you ate with how much.

I eat right up until bedtime at 1 or 1:30 am (eating the bulk of my calories then, no less) and have lost over 100 lbs.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

Not true and there have been studies to prove that it doesn't matter what time you eat. Contrary to myth, the metabolism doesn't slow down at night (it runs 24 hours per day), and you don't have net fat storage no matter what you eat or what time you eat it as long as you're eating less than you're burning (caloric deficit). This is one of those old wives' tales that won't die.
  • pdxwine
    pdxwine Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I have lost 88 pounds...all while having dinner somewhere between 8-9 PM.

My typical day is:

Breakfast 8:30 or 9AM
    Mid-morning almonds 11AM
    Lunch around 1PM
    Afternoon hummus break 5 or 6PM
    Dinner between 8 and 9PM
  • xxgabriellaxxchanelxx
    xxgabriellaxxchanelxx Posts: 62 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    you burn 100 calories while sleeping, so if you eat just before bed, you wont lose as much as you could have otherwise. but, of course you can still lose plenty of weight no matter what the timing. its really more about calories. that being said, i usually try to stop eating before eight and go to bed at around 9:30 or 10 :)
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

Yup! I save a few calories and usually have either some ice cream or beer before bed. Lost 19lbs over 12 weeks. I think that's pretty good. Slowed down a bit over the holidays, but I wasn't working out as much. Back at it now.
  • harrybananas
    harrybananas Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Timing does not matter.

I lost weight when I used to weight train from 8:30-10:30pm, then devour a 1000 calorie meal shortly after, then sleep by midnight. I did this for months.

Meal timing has no effects on weight loss or gain. Though if the idea or thought of meal timing helps you lose weight, then by all means stick with it. Every body is different and as long as you're reaching your fitness goals, that's all that matters.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    you burn 100 calories while sleeping, so if you eat just before bed, you wont lose as much as you could have otherwise. i usually try to stop eating before eight and go to bed at around 9:30 or 10 :)

No. Also false.