Who else doesn't eat pass 6 pm??

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    You guys mean to tell me that all this time I've been starving myself every evening when it actually doesn't matter what time I eat!?!
    Yep. Metabolism is consistent. Believe it or not, you burn more body fat resting and sleeping than you would doing an hour of cardio. Why? Because body fat is the primary fuel source at rest whereas glycogen is the primary fuel when doing physical activity.
    The whole myth about this was because people would REACH there calorie limits by 6-7pm, then KEEP EATING. That's why they got overweight. If you have calories to spare after 6pm, eating them won't result in added fat.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    nickmomrik wrote: »
    you burn 100 calories while sleeping, so if you eat just before bed, you wont lose as much as you could have otherwise. but, of course you can still lose plenty of weight no matter what the timing. its really more about calories. that being said, i usually try to stop eating before eight and go to bed at around 9:30 or 10 :)

You burn a lot more than 100 calories when you sleep. For example, say my Basal metabolic rate (BMR, which is the amount of energy expended while at rest in a neutrally temperate environment) is 2,000 calories per day. Divided by 24 hours my body burns over 80 calories an hour if I don't do anything at all. If you exercise, your body burns even more throughout the day repairing and building. Sleep for 8 hours @ 80 calories/hour and that's burning 640 calories. #science

very true and you can get lab test for that too..( sleeping test)

wish mine was 80 lol
    But i do know my average is around 62 calories an hour.

95069916.png
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    you burn 100 calories while sleeping, so if you eat just before bed, you wont lose as much as you could have otherwise. but, of course you can still lose plenty of weight no matter what the timing. its really more about calories. that being said, i usually try to stop eating before eight and go to bed at around 9:30 or 10 :)
    Lol, nope. BMR is rest rate and let's just say 1/3 of it is sleeping. So if someone's BMR is even 1000 (which is pretty low), then 333 calories of it is from sleeping alone. Don't know where you're getting your info from, but you need a better resource.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• heidicarlstedt
    heidicarlstedt Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Living with a mother who had a so many answers AND solutions (many people have all the answers but the wrong solutions), it is best not to eat 2 hours before you sleep- usually not after 8:00 p.m. . Why? because your body, when you sleep should be in the DETOX mode (even when you work the graveyard shift). When you eat, it instead goes into the DIGESTIVE mode. It is long-term healthier for the body, to not eat late. This is from a master herbalist, RN, and biochemist who spent a life time in incredible health by living what makes sense. At the cell level, most people's bodies work the same. - To your health!
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    maybe the myth wont die because its not a myth…..? i've looked at countless forums with people saying that they do, in fact burn 100 calories while asleep. perhaps it depends on the person.
    Learning from people who are unknowledgeable on the subject doesn't mean it's true.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Lol, nope. BMR is rest rate and let's just say 1/3 of it is sleeping. So if someone's BMR is even 1000 (which is pretty low), then 333 calories of it is from sleeping alone. Don't know where you're getting your info from, but you need a better resource.

"Countless forums", according to a previous post.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Living with a mother who had a so many answers AND solutions (many people have all the answers but the wrong solutions), it is best not to eat 2 hours before you sleep- usually not after 8:00 p.m. . Why? because your body, when you sleep should be in the DETOX mode (even when you work the graveyard shift). When you eat, it instead goes into the DIGESTIVE mode. It is long-term healthier for the body, to not eat late. This is from a master herbalist, RN, and biochemist who spent a life time in incredible health by living what makes sense. At the cell level, most people's bodies work the same. - To your health!

Science disagrees with the modes, timing, etc.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

Mucho nope.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options

Nope!
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    So why did i lose all my weight while i eat 60 to 70% of my calories after 8PM? Every night! ( i am an evening snacker)

95069916.png
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Best? Nah. "Detoxing" is a myth and you won't find peer reviewed clinical studies that support they are useful. You do realize that it takes 6-8 hours for food to pass through the digestive system? So even if you did stop 2 hours before bed, you're STILL in the digestive mode. Humans adapt to behavior and environment around them quite easy. The body doesn't distinguish what is optimal time to eat based on time.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    I think times matters a lot because most of the time when you eat late and go to bed the food doesn't get burned like it would during the day and it eventually turns into fat. Metabolism slows at night

It will get burned later. If it works for you, awesome. If I tried it, I'd be back up at 4 am raiding the fridge, going back to sleep, then waking up later wondering how all the food wrappers got in my bed.

82173306.png
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I'm enjoying sitting here at 10:20 pm eating a hard boiled egg, string cheese and salted caramel greek yogurt as I read this thread. LOL.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    You guys mean to tell me that all this time I've been starving myself every evening when it actually doesn't matter what time I eat!?!

Yup. Sorry. But hey, now you know and don't have to do it any more!
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    I'm enjoying sitting here at 10:20 pm eating a hard boiled egg, string cheese and salted caramel greek yogurt as I read this thread. LOL.

Nice. I have a 1am trip to Wendy's planned after I get out of work.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    I think times matters a lot because most of the time when you eat late and go to bed the food doesn't get burned like it would during the day and it eventually turns into fat. Metabolism slows at night

False false false false false false false and otherwise untrue.
  • Carlos_421
    Options

Correct. What matters is how much you eat.
    If not eating past six has caused you to lose weight it's because it's caused you to eat less and resulted in a calorie deficit (eating fewer calories than you burn).
    You could take the same amount of food that you're eating between breakfast and 6pm, stretch it out between breakfast and bedtime and get the exact same results.
  • Carlos_421
    Options
    Bluwaves1 wrote: »
    well eating right before you go to bed can cause heartburn, so it is better to eat 30-45 minutes before bed. That is a fact. But whatever you take in has the same weight no matter when.

Can't really say it's a fact if it isn't true for everyone.
    It may give you heartburn but it doesn't give me heartburn.
    And even if it did, I'd still eat and just pop a Rolaid.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    The whole idea behind not eating after a certain time is that it's easy to mindlessly snack in the evenings, when you are tired/distracted, etc, and consume more calories than you burn. All the so-called "science" behind food turning straight to fat when you sleep or whatever is bunk.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

None of this is true

At all

Get your mother to name these toxins and why the liver, kidneys and respiratory systems change modes and how
    Get her to explain this "digestive mode" when food takes 24-48 hours to pads through digestive system

Weird old world