5ft 2 ladies ....it's not fair being Petit!

Options

Replies

• MichelleMcRoy
    MichelleMcRoy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi All,

5'2 and 169 @ 45 yrs old but just started last week on the Body for Life. Did this about 7 years ago and went from 195 to 135. Short girl problems number 1 - 10lbs looks like 20lbs on us! LOL Gained the weight back to due going back to school and working a full time job - not much time for taking care of myself properly.
  • keekeepop5
    keekeepop5 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I love this thread. I wish I was as tall as all you guys. I'm at 5'. I love my height but it is definitely a challenge with weight....I'm back on mfp since Dec. I've been on before...up and down with my weight. I'm slightly older (55) and have found it not as easy to lose the lbs...but it does work. Counting calories and some exercise I'm down 7 lbs with 20 more to go....LETS DO IT!
  • tiffinfilion
    tiffinfilion Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    5"2"/154/35 ;) My beef with being short is that when you're trying to lose weight, you can't do it through food or MFP yells at you. It won't let you go under 1200. How lame is that? We're smaller, we need less calories.
  • 3AAnn3
    3AAnn3 Posts: 3,054 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2, currently 118, coming off of a bulk, looking to get back to 110. My highest weight was 140, 12 years ago when I was very sick and semi bed-bound. I have found you have to change your thinking, think positively, work hard, and be grateful. I used to think negatively and always experienced life negatively. There will always be those that have it way easier than you, but also those who have it much much more difficult. You have control of your own destiny. Work out like a beast, and there will be days you can eat 2500 cals and be in a deficit.
  • raekim808
    raekim808 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1" and need to lose 20-30 pounds. I'm a mum of three children (gained and kept 10 pounds for each child).

I have a really hard time staying within my 1200-1500 cal/day range without feeling hungry (and grumpy). I try to drink water and tea all day long .
  • krustyoldhag
    krustyoldhag Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I'm 4'9".
    I'd kill someone to be 5'2"!
    Be thankful for the height you have.

I agree, the smaller you are, the less calories you need. Think of it this way... You wouldn't feed a child of my height 1200 calories a day. (well, some people do - hence the childhood obesity problem)

I'm small and I don't exercise like a mad man, so lower calories it is.
    MFP will let you set your calorie goal under 1200, but when you log and try to finish out your day, it ill tell you how horrible you are for eating 900-1000 cals! LOL :s
    Plus, it won't show your logged day on your news feed. So, it can be done - you just wont get credit for it. :p
  • daltonjsmom
    daltonjsmom Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1.5"--I am committed to a healthy lifestyle for good, after years of binge eating and unhealthy habits. I am always looking for more, supportive friends. Feel free to add me if you like!
  • ColoradoGrl
    ColoradoGrl Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Likewise 5'2" and working hard to maintain my current weight (125 pounds/ approx 8.9 stone--or so google tells me, LOL) after more than 60 pound weight loss (over about 14 months). Extra weight shows up immediately on short folks, but now that I can wear my clothes comfortably, I don't mind so much being a "shortie". But, 25% of my success has been intensive exercise (fitness walking 7 days/week 5-10 miles) and try hard to stay on a moderate carb diet to keep the cravings under check (NET carbs = total minus fiber total 70-80 grams). I too like my wine, but had almost none for the first year of efforts and now will occasionally measure out 5-6 ounces or a hearty cabernet, put it in a small bottle and drink it on a late evening fitness walk with my dog. Does wonders for warding off the cold and giving me a little "spring in my step"! There are days when I am just flat out hungry, but those are not the usual for me now and I do try to make up for any bad days with extra exercise. You can do it! We shorties have an extra challenge, but it isn't bad when folks talk about how "small" you are--something they are unlikely to do for taller (thin)) people!
  • grace42d
    grace42d Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I'm 4'9".

I agree, the smaller you are, the less calories you need. Think of it this way... You wouldn't feed a child of my height 1200 calories a day. (well, some people do - hence the childhood obesity problem)

MFP will let you set your calorie goal under 1200, but when you log and try to finish out your day, it ill tell you how horrible you are for eating 900-1000 cals! LOL :s
    Plus, it won't show your logged day on your news feed. So, it can be done - you just wont get credit for it. :p

Exactly! And that is why I don't use MFP to log what I eat. Every time I fall under 1200 MFP gives me a lecture. Hrmmmph
  • RPG9
    RPG9 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Tell me about it. Starting this app with my bf and he can pretty much eat 1000 calories more! We do the same workout and he burns double the calories. I might be short but I could still eat him under the table :( just polished off an 80g bar of dark chocolate...told myself it's healthier than milk chocolate haha
  • shellybelly395
    shellybelly395 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Im 5 1 feel free to add me

Will do
  • shellybelly395
    Options
    RPG9 wrote: »
    Tell me about it. Starting this app with my bf and he can pretty much eat 1000 calories more! We do the same workout and he burns double the calories. I might be short but I could still eat him under the table :( just polished off an 80g bar of dark chocolate...told myself it's healthier than milk chocolate haha

Same here. My husband can seem to eat loads. And of the wrong foods. If I ate what he ate the scales would be screaming at me haha. I love large portions... Especially take outs....but so far this year I've only had one.
    I've added you as a friend
  • rkd2610
    rkd2610 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hey! I'm 5"2 still struggling to lose the baby weight....15 months on!! feel free to add me ladies :D
  • shellybelly395
    Options
    Likewise 5'2" and working hard to maintain my current weight (125 pounds/ approx 8.9 stone--or so google tells me, LOL) after more than 60 pound weight loss (over about 14 months). Extra weight shows up immediately on short folks, but now that I can wear my clothes comfortably, I don't mind so much being a "shortie". But, 25% of my success has been intensive exercise (fitness walking 7 days/week 5-10 miles) and try hard to stay on a moderate carb diet to keep the cravings under check (NET carbs = total minus fiber total 70-80 grams). I too like my wine, but had almost none for the first year of efforts and now will occasionally measure out 5-6 ounces or a hearty cabernet, put it in a small bottle and drink it on a late evening fitness walk with my dog. Does wonders for warding off the cold and giving me a little "spring in my step"! There are days when I am just flat out hungry, but those are not the usual for me now and I do try to make up for any bad days with extra exercise. You can do it! We shorties have an extra challenge, but it isn't bad when folks talk about how "small" you are--something they are unlikely to do for taller (thin)) people!

Your story is amazing. Well done for losing all the weight and maintaining it too. That's my downfall keeping the weight off. I've logged into mfp for over 20 days now and it's keeping me on track....even on the wine days haha
  • shellybelly395
    Options
    I'm 5'1.5"--I am committed to a healthy lifestyle for good, after years of binge eating and unhealthy habits. I am always looking for more, supportive friends. Feel free to add me if you like!

I'm a binge eater.... Once I start I have to eat it till its gone. But....I've been logging for over 20 days now and I'm still committed and getting results.... Been hard this week but still on the right track. I've lost 7lbs...so really pleased
  • shellybelly395
    Options
    I'm 4'9".

Thank you for the calorie advice. Mine is set at 1290 calories per day. I'm keeping within my allowance but it's not been easy haha
    Added you as a friend
  • shellybelly395
    Options
    raekim808 wrote: »
    I'm 5'1" and need to lose 20-30 pounds. I'm a mum of three children (gained and kept 10 pounds for each child).

I have a really hard time staying within my 1200-1500 cal/day range without feeling hungry (and grumpy). I try to drink water and tea all day long .

Oh my...you sound like me haha
    I've added you as a friend. Hopefully we can keep each motivated haha
  • shellybelly395
    Options
    3AAnn3 wrote: »
    I'm 5'2, currently 118, coming off of a bulk, looking to get back to 110. My highest weight was 140, 12 years ago when I was very sick and semi bed-bound. I have found you have to change your thinking, think positively, work hard, and be grateful. I used to think negatively and always experienced life negatively. There will always be those that have it way easier than you, but also those who have it much much more difficult. You have control of your own destiny. Work out like a beast, and there will be days you can eat 2500 cals and be in a deficit.

Your story is such a positive one. I'm currently at 140 lbs and now feel confident to start exercising again. I'm taking it step by step as I want to make it part of my lifestyle forever and not just a fad. I've lost 7lbs so far...so feeling really in control and motivated.
    Added you as a friend
  • shellybelly395
    Options
    5"2"/154/35 ;) My beef with being short is that when you're trying to lose weight, you can't do it through food or MFP yells at you. It won't let you go under 1200. How lame is that? We're smaller, we need less calories.

Mine is set at 1290 I'm struggling to keep within it but managing too. I must have really been stacking the calories in before I started logging into mfp.
    Added you as a friend
  • soniaf
    soniaf Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I am 5'2" and 86 kg or 189 pounds. I was 90kg or 198 lb a month ago.
    I have been very good all week and just drank lots of wine and now want to eat my head off!!
    I would like to be 70 kg or 154 lb. I am aiming for 1000 cal/day at the moment. I am a single parent, work full time, 3 kids, and at uni, yada yada. My youngest is now 7 and I am starting to leave her with my 15 year old which helps, so I can go to the gym to do Pump. I ride my bike to work too.