Do you keep peanut butter in the house?

Options
Peanut butter is a bit of a trigger food for me. Have any PB lovers out there found success in eating this in moderation? What's your technique? Or have you found it is best to just keep it away?

Replies

• Veryana
    Veryana Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Hmm, I like PB but never liked it that much it would become a trigger food. But for other trigger foods I definitely can't keep them in house :s
  • Dreysander
    Dreysander Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Yep. I keep all kinds of stuff in the house. I eat PB every day and I measure what I eat.

My "trigger" stuff is chocolate, cookies, cake. We have that too, I just don't eat it.
  • Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Yes. I have a DH, a 20 yo son and a 17 yo son. All of whom eat like bottomless pits. I have to keep all sorts of foods in the house that are triggers for me. But thankfully PB isn't one of them.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter, almond butter, cashew butter. I like to vary them
  • ldemetro612
    ldemetro612 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Yes I keep PB in the house but I eat natural peanut butter and I measure mine also. I have it with my greek yogurt, about 40 grams 3X a week. But with my protein shakes I do use PB2 for those.
  • bubbajoe1066
    bubbajoe1066 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    It's in the house...i'm an all or nothing kind of guy...there is no moderation for me,that being said.. i just choose not to eat it.but i can't deny the rest of the family who don't have a weight problem.
  • Tobysgirl212
    Tobysgirl212 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Amazon has these 0.5 oz (96 calories) Skippy peanut butter cups. I'm wondering if I can try those as a starter before I trust myself with a whole jar. Of course, I could end up just opening a bunch of them and eating them all, lol. I've only been at MFP for just over a week, but I've been doing great. Maybe it's too soon to test myself. Or maybe things are different now that I've gotten into the habit of weigh and eat. Why is peanut butter of all things so addictive? I never feel compelled to overeat, say, steak!
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    hell yeah, I have about 15 here right now, get it on sale
  • dkingdom1
    dkingdom1 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    For me, PB was kind of a trigger food until I stopped eating it for a while (just because I would rather eat other foods than PB). Then a few days later, I tasted it and it tasted awkward. Now reduced fat peanut butter (if my mom accidentally buys any), I can't get my hands off of because the texture is much like nutella, which I like.

So yeah, you can try not eating it for a while but if you must have it, you can have a serving. If you have more than you should've, that's okay too. You're still learning. But just recognize that you did it.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    I keep it but I only eat it weighed & put on or with something... In other words, no eating off a spoon. That's one thing I noticed having other girls as roommates, ice cream & peanut butter are two foods people will mindlessly shovel in straight off a spoon and there's no keeping track that way. So maybe you need 'rules' around peanut butter and only eat it when it has something with it like apple slices, celery, prepped and ready to go.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    That's because steak is work, with all the chewing. You have time for the satiety message to get through. You need to slow down the peanut butter that same way!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,884 Member
    Options
    I just discovered two jars of it in the cupboard. They are my husband's and I have no desire whatsoever to try them. I have a mild allergy to peanuts that leaves me feeling extremely uncomfortable.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I have all kinds of trigger food in my house, I just decided that I'd stop binging on them, or I wouldn't be able to eat them at all anymore and it would be sad.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Yep. It's never been a problem for me. I weigh out a serving, spread it on some toast, and eat it.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I always have a jar or 2 of peanut butter. I don't have trouble moderating peanut butter.
    There are a few foods that I decided weren't worth buying because I would be tempted to overeat them and they wouldn't give me much more than calories- not very filling and not much nutrition. I'm not sad about it. I get to eat a lot of other things that I like.
  • spat095
    spat095 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I put ten grams in my oatmeal every morning. Very satisfying!
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    PB is not a trigger for me (in fact, I've only had it very rarely), but potato chips are. Those I could not keep in the house, probably ever.
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    I generally don't keep PB in the house. PB2 is here, but it doesn't trigger me. PB fudge doesn't either. Pure PB can be a problem, but it's less so in the last year. If I keep any nut butter in the house, it's almond, cashew, or sunflower, because none of those trigger me at all.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    No...causes cancer. Use almond butter instead.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i think i have some. i do love it....

i CANT keep peanut butter CUPS in the house.

not ever. NO restraint with those things lol