Do you keep peanut butter in the house?

Options

Replies

• vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    I buy the 2 pack of large jars of Smuckers natural peanut butter (ingredients: peanuts & salt) at BJs. I use peanut butter on toast or to make peanut butter cookies. My husband makes peanut butter sandwiches sometimes. It takes a while to go through both jars. My son isn't into it at all.
  • agirlcalledrinn
    agirlcalledrinn Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I love my PB, but I buy the packets made by Justins (usually hidden in the organic food section, but Target now carries them in the normal pb aisle), because yes, I too will eat the whole jar. I tried the PB and PB2 but hated them. If you have someone to get a sample from, it's worth trying though. I have a friend who adores them.
  • HeidiGrrrl
    HeidiGrrrl Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Only because my daughter is on WIC. We have about 10 jars of the crap. Can't stand it, though, so I don't know what we're going to do with it. I'm thinking food shelf.
  • shathaway123
    shathaway123 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I don't keep it in the house, peanut butter or any nut butter is my kryptonite. It calls to me, and I eat it by the spoonfulls.
  • sunandmoons
    sunandmoons Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Of couse. P2P and natural peanut butter. Just good stuff p2p is lower in calories. I really dont have a trigger food, with the exception of hot chocolate. I will get over that too once spring is here. I fit it in with my daily caloric limit.
  • stranger2310
    stranger2310 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    It's dangerous, but I couldn't be without it! I eat it by the spoonful, put it on toast, put it in Eastern Asian dressings. I need it more than I know I shouldn't have it. :naughty:
  • BuddhaB0y
    BuddhaB0y Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I'm being lazy, what things do you make with PB2??
  • toe1226
    toe1226 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    The only times I've had a problem with peanut butter was when I was undereating and craving fat. That being said, it is pretty easy for me to put 15 grams into my yogurt and then go back and wipe the lid off for a few extra tastes! One counter-intuitive thing that has helped me is to buy Justin's peanut butter cups - regulars or mini's, they are decicious and peanut buttery and I allot myself one, instead of opening a whole jar full of opportunity.
  • agirlcalledrinn
    agirlcalledrinn Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    HeidiGrrrl wrote: »
    Only because my daughter is on WIC. We have about 10 jars of the crap. Can't stand it, though, so I don't know what we're going to do with it. I'm thinking food shelf.

Heidi, I don't know where you live, but the local pantry, women's shelter, and if you have a college campus there's generally a college pantry, and some of the churches too. I work for one of the pantries, and something like 10 jars of PB would let us make an awesome dessert even for our big dinner. And the kid's faces in the kitchen just light up like it's Christmas. <3
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    BuddhaB0y wrote: »
    I'm being lazy, what things do you make with PB2??
    Everything. Flavor cakes/pancakes/waffles, sauces (peanut sauce), stir into yogurt/cottage cheese, mix with water and put on crackers/fruit/veggies/rice cakes, I'm tempted try sprinkling some on frozen fruit.
  • truelight_photo_craig
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    I love my peanut butter, I buy it in half kilo tubs.
    Depriving myself of food or drink I enjoy isn't enjoyable or sustainable for me.

Think ahead to maintenance - are you going to avoid it for life or learn moderate/control your intake?

This is my take as well. I love peanut butter, but i measure my portions and eat in moderation.
  • rad2b1
    rad2b1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    PB and triggers are not issues for me. My problem is food including PB as a "reward". I grew up in a home with a Depression Era mom who always said "clean your plate or...." Food was always a reward with her, so it became for me. The quality of any accomplishment qualifies the food reward. Thank goodness, PB is lower on that hierarchy of rewards. I am learning that I have to seek rewards differently, other than food of any variety, and yes, we stock all the foods that I love and my family loves, which are not good for me on any level, for any reward. So, I just eat 1 tablespoon of PB on one slice of multigrain bread with 16 oz of water and an orange. I have had to learn that this more than reward enough for me, only when it is time for my snack, not a trigger, not a reward. PB is better than ice cream, any day. Yes, I weigh all my foods all the time, except PB. I have had to retrain my brain, and it is a work in progress, with or without PB.
  • SweetestLibby
    SweetestLibby Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Yep. Peanut butter, almond butter, cookie butter, pb2, all of it!

Lost 95 pounds while eating them and gained 25ish back while eating them. Now I'm losing again and still eating them. Enjoy them too much so I had to learn moderation...and when I'm sick sometimes it's the only thing I'll eat
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I make my own with a food processor. Peanuts, a little oil and honey and it makes a really tasty treat. I only use about .5-1 tablespoon a day bc I spread it on a serving or two of Stacey's Cinnamon Sugar pita chips. It's delightful.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Yep.
    I love to snack on PB so I freeze weighed-out servings.
    I haven't tried PB2 though...I would like to.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    Yes I do. Just bought a case of 12 jars, in fact. There are 5 other people here with larger/different nutritional needs than I. A stack of PBJ sandwiches keep the the kids/teens from the after school "hangries."

And I eat it, too. Not like I used to eat it. It gets weighed and logged and savored. Not mindlessly eaten by spoonfuls at each kitchen visit.
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter is a bit of a trigger food for me. Have any PB lovers out there found success in eating this in moderation? What's your technique? Or have you found it is best to just keep it away?

If you find that certain foods are really difficult for you to eat in moderation and you don't HAVE to have them around (i.e. kids or S.O. aren't demanding them), I would just not keep them onhand. Buy them only when needed.

Peanut butter, while delicious, isn't something I tend to gorge on. I do NOT keep ice cream onhand though for that reason...or candy (I ask my kids/wife to keep them out of sight for my benefit). If I have to make a special trip when I have a hankering, about 75% of the time I'll decide it's too much trouble...the other 25% I go and get just enough...meaning I buy a single scoop cone instead of a pint of Ben and Jerry's which is invariably eaten in a single sitting.
  • GBrady43068
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    I love my peanut butter, I buy it in half kilo tubs.
    Depriving myself of food or drink I enjoy isn't enjoyable or sustainable for me.

Think ahead to maintenance - are you going to avoid it for life or learn moderate/control your intake?

Agreed. You have to think about something you will be able to do for the long-term.
  • GBrady43068
    edited January 2016
    Options
    BuddhaB0y wrote: »
    abatonfan wrote: »
    I keep both regular PB and PB2. I typically use a mix of both when using peanut butter, but the ratio of each depends on my calorie and fat needs (Really under my calorie and fat goals, I use more regular PB. If I want the PB taste with fewer calories, I use more PB2).

Sorry what's PB2??

@BuddhaB0y: I haven't used it myself but this is mentioned frequently. It's powdered peanut butter that many here use in place of the fattier actual PB (if they don't have the calories to spare for it). It comes in powder form I believe. Many here have mentioned adding it to banana protein powder smoothies for an "Elvis style" post-lifting drink. Use the "search" button above and keep in PB2 and you'll see lots of threads it has shown up in before.
  • besee_2000
    besee_2000 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    sabified wrote: »
    I love peanut butter. I buy a new jar before I'm done the old one to make sure I always have some.

A neat little PB trick (or any nut butters, I guess) is to dilute it with a bit of milk. Like 2 or 3 tbsp of milk to 1 of pb, then heat it up in the microwave and mix. Doesn't dilute the taste, but gives you more pb for whatever you want.

I have done this with apple sauce and pumpkin puree. I call it fluffing.