There are 'BAD' foods

Options

Replies

• I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    alstin2015 wrote: »
    Because i prefer my food to be made of food

What part of the 100% beef McDonald's patty is not food? The beef or the beef?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

Are you implying that a grocery store tomato (it's a bit chilly for fresh garden tomatoes this time of year) is not food?

everyone knows those are fake...
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    potatosalad.jpg
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    i know that anything can be considered processing,(chopping, cooking, baking). i mean the heavy processing with tons of chemicals and additives that you wouldnt normally put on the food that you would cook at home, (McDonalds, cheetos, coke, candy, hot dogs)

Most (probably all) knew what you meant.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    i know that anything can be considered processing,(chopping, cooking, baking). i mean the heavy processing with tons of chemicals and additives that you wouldnt normally put on the food that you would cook at home, (McDonalds, cheetos, coke, candy, hot dogs)

And again...the important question is...why?

I mean if it's a choice you're making for yourself...I got no issues. But when making blanket recommendations for others to follow, the "why" suddenly becomes a lot more important.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

I don't know, but something isn't right for the patty to be cooked within 45 seconds (I've worked there so I know it cooks in that amount of time, and sometimes less). Yes it's high heat and the patty is very thin, but that's still an awfully short time. On the other hand, their sirloin burgers take 3-4 times as long to cook, and I'm not sure that the size difference justifies the difference in cooking time by that much of a factor.

• Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options

What are a few of these "tons of chemicals and additives" and why should I avoid them? How are they bad for me?

Are there legitimate proven health risks I should be made aware of or are you just put off by the scary made up stories of the big bad GMO that went Boo?
  • ndj1979
    Options

I don't know, but something isn't right for the patty to be cooked within 45 seconds (I've worked there so I know it cooks in that amount of time, and sometimes less). Yes it's high heat and the patty is very thin, but that's still an awfully short time. On the other hand, their sirloin burgers take 3-4 times as long to cook, and I'm not sure that the size difference justifies the difference in cooking time by that much of a factor.

here is your answer..

mcdonalds takes less time because super hot surface + thin burger..

8 ounce burger takes longer, because bigger..
    mystery solved...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    sullus wrote: »
    potatosalad.jpg

ha, I love the far side!
  • ndj1979
    edited January 2016
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

Are you implying that a grocery store tomato (it's a bit chilly for fresh garden tomatoes this time of year) is not food?

everyone knows those are fake...

wrong quote
  • ndj1979
    Options

@alstin2015 still waiting for your answer on this..
  • ndj1979
    Options

and what specific ingredients makes those foods bad..?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »

What are a few of these "tons of chemicals and additives" and why should I avoid them? How are they bad for me?

Are there legitimate proven health risks I should be made aware of or are you just put off by the scary made up stories of the big bad GMO that went Boo?

Would you eat anything without a "legitimate proven health risk"? For a risk to be proven wouldn't someone have to suffer? It's not as if previously approved as safe chemicals used in the food industry have never been repealed after being proven unsafe.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options

I see why people are hammering you a little bit. McDonalds is kind of a poor example. What's in a McDonald's burger that's not in a burger you make at home? Egg McMuffin's another example. The one I make at home is no different than the one McDonalds serves.

If you're excluding Hot Dogs, you'll also need to exclude deli meat.

Candy's just got a lot of sugar, but not a lot of heavy processing.

Protein shakes, bars and powders, definitely fit your version of "Bad" too.
  • Carlos_421
    Options

Density of meat is a big factor in cooking time.
  • Carlos_421
    Options

I mean if it's a choice you're making for yourself...I got no issues. But when making blanket recommendations for others to follow, the "why" suddenly becomes a lot more important.

I just trust food with less chemicals in it. I don't care if they haven't been proven harmful. I just trust that the closer food is to its natural form, the better it is for you, usually.( i know, meat, bread, juice, yadayada) absolutely not scientific in anyway, never claimed it was

Glad we got that settled.
  • ndj1979
    Options

I just trust food with less chemicals in it. I don't care if they haven't been proven harmful. I just trust that the closer food is to its natural form, the better it is for you, usually.( i know, meat, bread, juice, yadayada) absolutely not scientific in anyway, never claimed it was

so you don't eat strawberries and bananas then because chemicals, right?
  • juggernaut1974
    edited January 2016
    Options

Pure natural form:

poisonous-mushroom.jpg

Again...there's a HUGE difference between saying YOU choose not to eat things for personal reasons/beliefs and:
    Of course there are bad foods. Foods with artificial dyes, unnatural chemicals, cancer causing agents, artificial sweetners.some of these are bad at any amount.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

Pure natural form:

poisonous-mushroom.jpg

Again...there's a HUGE difference between saying YOU choose not to eat things for personal reasons/beliefs and:
    Of course there are bad foods. Foods with artificial dyes, unnatural chemicals, cancer causing agents, artificial sweetners.some of these are bad at any amount.

Are those mushrooms "food"?
  • juggernaut1974
    Options

Pure natural form:

poisonous-mushroom.jpg

Are those mushrooms "food"?

Most (probably all) know that people do eat mushrooms