There are 'BAD' foods

Options

Replies

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    As for preservatives and other additives that commercial companies add to foods, there is no guarantee that over the course of one's lifetime, absolutely no DNA damage will occur. Meaning, there is no 100% certainty that with the processing the body has to do with that stuff, eventually some cells may become a bit damaged. That's not to say that one's lifespan would be drastically affected, but you can't guarantee that there's no harm at all being done.

The same damage can happen when you live in a bubble. And if it's small enough to not be able to be traced back to a source, it's meaningless. You probably get more DNA damage by going to the pool in summer.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    As for preservatives and other additives that commercial companies add to foods, there is no guarantee that over the course of one's lifetime, absolutely no DNA damage will occur. Meaning, there is no 100% certainty that with the processing the body has to do with that stuff, eventually some cells may become a bit damaged. That's not to say that one's lifespan would be drastically affected, but you can't guarantee that there's no harm at all being done.

The same damage can happen when you live in a bubble. And if it's small enough to not be able to be traced back to a source, it's meaningless. You probably get more DNA damage by going to the pool in summer.

Is that what they mean by "damaged gene pool"?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

If you're advocating that we should avoid all things that don't come with a 100% guarantee of safety, then I can only say I strongly disagree with that.
    No, but why take the risk? I'm not saying that people should never eat anything that has other additives, but rather why not try to minimize consumption of those foods, just in case?

I agree that you should make choices based on a risk assessment.

I just disagree that the risk is anywhere near the degree where most people, given all known relevant information, would come to the same conclusion.

And ETA: Isn't minimizing (ie - moderating) what many of us have been advocating for all through the thread? It's those that are arguing elimination that are getting the push back.
    I think part of the problem though is that not everyone is on the same page with what constitutes a nutrient dense/healthy food.

Nutrient dense is a little vague, because how nutrient dense do you need to be? Vegetables, sure, but what about higher fat meat or cheese? How about rice and bread and pasta? Is the pasta saved (praise the Lord!) if I eat it with vegetables and lean meat, or is it bad food eaten with good food?

All that aside, I really do prefer discussing nutrient content and don't really see much of a disagreement about that, just people drawing lines in different places. Some will insist that they don't eat "bad foods" and yet eat a whole lot of foods I consider not nutrient dense and which I personally don't eat (usually I also don't like them much), which always just demonstrates to me again that people have different standards and this is all somewhat subjective.
  • stevencloser
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    stealthq wrote: »
    alstin2015 wrote: »
    Because i prefer my food to be made of food

What part of the 100% beef McDonald's patty is not food? The beef or the beef?

lol. i used to sell natures harvest bread. 100% whole wheat. here are the ingredients

Whole wheat flour, water, cracked wheat, yeast, wheat gluten, sugar, wheat bran, soybean oil, honey, molasses, raisin juice concentrate, salt, mono- and diglycerides, datum, calcium propionate (preservative), grain vinegar, calcium sulfate, monocalcium phosphate, cornstarch, soy lecithin, citric acid, whey, soy flour, nonfat milk.

how is that 100% whole wheat? well, the whole wheat that is in it is 100% whole wheat. lol im sure that the beef in the mcdonalds patty is 100% beef. that doesnt mean its not full of other things

Actually it's just beef, salt and pepper.
    A lot of places have secret ingredients in their food that aren't disclosed to the public. I have my doubts that beef, salt, and pepper are the only ingredients in McDonald's beef patties.

Secret ingredients? Care to elaborate? What are they, who uses them, how do you know? Just a hunch? I don't think a company like McDonald's would risk the lawsuit by lying to their billions of customers world wide.

I don't know if you'd call ammonia an ingredient, but I'd call it a factor if you put it in your mouth.

http://www.medicaldaily.com/mcdonalds-use-ammonium-hydroxide-wash-meat-angers-chef-jamie-oliver-theyre-not-only-249387

If I wash an apple with a bit of soap, I still don't include soap in my recipe for apple butter - even though it includes the peel.

The ammonia is a processing agent, and doesn't stick around at levels high enough to be an issue. It's used by most meat processing plants, not just the ones supplying McDonalds.

Even the ones providing grass-fed beef for my homemade burgers on bakery baked bread cooked over non-carcinogenic flames???

Ah, but you see, grass-fed beef contains transfats.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    Because i prefer my food to be made of food

What part of the 100% beef McDonald's patty is not food? The beef or the beef?

lol. i used to sell natures harvest bread. 100% whole wheat. here are the ingredients

Whole wheat flour, water, cracked wheat, yeast, wheat gluten, sugar, wheat bran, soybean oil, honey, molasses, raisin juice concentrate, salt, mono- and diglycerides, datum, calcium propionate (preservative), grain vinegar, calcium sulfate, monocalcium phosphate, cornstarch, soy lecithin, citric acid, whey, soy flour, nonfat milk.

how is that 100% whole wheat? well, the whole wheat that is in it is 100% whole wheat. lol im sure that the beef in the mcdonalds patty is 100% beef. that doesnt mean its not full of other things

Actually it's just beef, salt and pepper.
    A lot of places have secret ingredients in their food that aren't disclosed to the public. I have my doubts that beef, salt, and pepper are the only ingredients in McDonald's beef patties.

Secret ingredients? Care to elaborate? What are they, who uses them, how do you know? Just a hunch? I don't think a company like McDonald's would risk the lawsuit by lying to their billions of customers world wide.

I don't know if you'd call ammonia an ingredient, but I'd call it a factor if you put it in your mouth.

http://www.medicaldaily.com/mcdonalds-use-ammonium-hydroxide-wash-meat-angers-chef-jamie-oliver-theyre-not-only-249387

If I wash an apple with a bit of soap, I still don't include soap in my recipe for apple butter - even though it includes the peel.

The ammonia is a processing agent, and doesn't stick around at levels high enough to be an issue. It's used by most meat processing plants, not just the ones supplying McDonalds.

Even the ones providing grass-fed beef for my homemade burgers on bakery baked bread cooked over non-carcinogenic flames???

Ah, but you see, grass-fed beef contains transfats.

Scared-Cat.jpg
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    im sure that the beef in the mcdonalds patty is 100% beef. that doesnt mean its not full of other things

Apparently a lot of other people share your question. Here's the answer.
    Our food. Your questions. Is McDonald's beef real?
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

If you're advocating that we should avoid all things that don't come with a 100% guarantee of safety, then I can only say I strongly disagree with that.
    No, but why take the risk? I'm not saying that people should never eat anything that has other additives, but rather why not try to minimize consumption of those foods, just in case?
    Please...demonstrate that the risk even exists.

If we're going to live by every possible "just in case" that we can conceive, then where's my portable bubble?
    Prior to the past 100 years (and certainly 200 years), none of our ancestors ate foods like that. So that's a huge chunk of mankind that has never eaten foods with that kind of stuff. Even if science hasn't definitively proven that those things are harmful for us, logically it makes sense to me that maybe we shouldn't be eating artificial stuff manufactured just to enhance the color or flavor of something.

And they died younger, had more diseases and nutritional deficiencies.
    I'm currently explaining some of the effects of vitamin c deficiency to my ex because she's readying an account of how an 18th century shipping vessel returned with no sign of scurvy. A rare phenomenon. Perhaps you can try what was generally done back then rather than eating sprayed fruit. Want to prevent scurvy like an 18 century sailor? Eat rats.
    That's right. Rats fix vitamin C naturally. Now you can avoid those chemicals used to protect and bring fruit to market. Yum yum.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Ok. So nobody has any objections at all whatsoever to chemical additives in food?

What specific ones are you interested in an opinion on?
  • juggernaut1974
    Options
    Ok. So nobody has any objections at all whatsoever to chemical additives in food?

En masse? no.

We can talk about specific additives - some of which are surely harmful (and have thusly been banned/eliminated); others which aren't or don't appear to be.

Again...it's not just simple "yes/no" "good/bad" thinking.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options

Did you know baking soda is a chemical additive? It's "real" name is sodium bicarbonate. Chemists reference it as as NaHCO3. Table salt is really sodium chloride, and its a food additive. Baking powder is 30% sodium bicarbonate, 5-12% monocalcium phosphate, and 21-26% sodium aluminium sulfate.

When I add eggs to a recipe, I'm really after an emulsifier and utilizing a lecithin in the eggs for this purpose. I could use lecithin from soy or sunflowers or another source, but eggs are cheap and readily available. If I was running a large baking operation, though, I might want to use another source because they are more stable over time, and often have fewer allergy problems for some people.

If I make a yeast-raised bread (leavened), then I need to add sugar. Not for "sweetness" but because the yeast are living microorganisms. They eat the sugar, then fart out carbon dioxide, giving me little bubbles of "air" in my bread that makes it fluffy. (That'd be Saccharomyces cerevisiae in my bread, by the way, the yeast; although some breads are made with Clostridium perfringens. Sourdough utilizes latobacillicus. )

People with gluten intolerance wind up adding a lot of other things like xantham gum to their food to get thickening. You might use corn starch or flour for the same purpose. Agar, Carageenan, Pectin, Locus Bean Gum, Gelatin, Alginic Acid (and all its derivatives, like sodium alginate) are all thickening "additives" that are from plants. Why are these things "bad"?

• juggernaut1974
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

no specific ones. when you see something like this. do you give it a second thought?

Not unless I see a specific ingredient that gives me cause for concern (which I don't)

• Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options

Which ones? Not all chemicals are equal and just because it's technically a chemical doesn't mean it's bad.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

no specific ones. when you see something like this. do you give it a second thought?

“Chicken Stock, Carrots, Potatoes (With Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate To Protect Color), Peas, Heavy Cream, Modified Food Starch, Contains 2% Or Less Of Wheat Flour, Salt, Chicken Fat, Dried Dairy Blend (Whey, Calcium Caseinate), Butter (Cream, Salt), Natural Chicken Flavor With Other Natural Flavors (Salt, Natural Flavoring, Maltodextrin, Milk Solids, Nonfat Dry Milk, Chicken Fat, Beef Extract, Ascorbic Acid [To Help Protect Flavor]), Monosodium Glutamate, Liquid Margarine (Vegetable Oil Blend [Liquid Soybean, Hydrogenated Cottonseed, Hydrogenated Soybean], Water, Vegetable Mono And Diglycerides, Beta Carotene [Color]), Roasted Garlic Juice Flavor (Garlic Juice, Salt, Natural Flavors), Gelatin, Roasted Onion Juice Flavor (Onion Juice, Salt, Natural Flavors), Chicken Pot Pie Flavor (Hydrolyzed Corn, Soy And Wheat Gluten Protein, Salt, Vegetable Stock [Carrot, Onion, Celery], Maltodextrin, Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Flavors, Dextrose, Chicken Broth), Chicken Stock, Sugar, Mono and Diglycerides With Citric Acid to Protect Flavor, Spice, Seasoning (Soybean Oil, Oleoresin Turmeric, Spice Extractives), Parsley, Citric Acid, Caramel Color, Yellow 5. Enriched Flour (Bleached Wheat Flour, Niacin, Ferrous Sulfate, Thiamin Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Hydrogenated Palm Kernel Oil, Water, Nonfat Milk, Maltodextrin, Salt, Dextrose, Sugar, Whey, Natural Flavor, Butter, Citric Acid, Dough Conditioner, L-Cysteine Hydrochloride, Potassium Sorbate and Sodium Benzoate (Preservatives), Colored With Yellow 5 & Red 40. Fresh Chicken Marinated With: Salt, Sodium Phosphate and Monosodium Glutamate. Breaded With: Wheat Flour, Salt, Spices, Monosodium Glutamate, Leavening (Sodium Bicarbonate), Garlic Powder, Natural Flavorings, Citric Acid, Maltodextrin, Sugar, Corn Syrup Solids, With Not More Than 2% Calcium Silicate Added as an Anti Caking Agent OR Fresh Chicken Marinated With: Salt, Sodium Phosphate and Monosodium Glutamate. Breaded With: Wheat Flour, Salt, Spices, Monosodium Glutamate, Corn Starch, Leavening (Sodium Bicarbonate), Garlic Powder, Modified Corn Starch, Spice Extractives, Citric Acid, and 2% Calcium Silicate added as Anticaking Agent OR Fresh Chicken Marinated With: Salt, Sodium Phosphate and Monosodium Glutamate. Breaded With: Wheat Flour, Sodium Chloride and Anti-caking Agent (Tricalcium Phosphate), Nonfat Milk, Egg Whites, Colonel’s Secret Original Recipe Seasoning OR Potato Starch, Sodium Phosphate, Salt, Breaded With: Wheat Flour, Sodium Chloride and Anti-caking agent (Tricalcium Phosphate), Nonfat Milk, Egg Whites, Colonel’s Secret Original Recipe Seasoning OR Potato Starch, Sodium Phosphate, Salt, Breaded With: Wheat Flour, Salt, Spices, Monosodium Glutamate, Leavening (Sodium Bicarbonate), Garlic Powder, Natural Flavorings, Citric Acid, Maltodextrin, Sugar, Corn Syrup Solids, With Not More Than 2% Calcium Silicate Added as an Anti Caking Agent OR Potato Starch, Sodium Phosphate, Salt, Breaded With: Wheat Flour, Salt, Spices, Monosodium Glutamate, Corn Starch, Leavening (Sodium Bicarbonate), Garlic Powder, Modified Corn Starch, Spice Extractives, Citric Acid, and 2% Calcium Silicate Added As Anticaking Agent OR Seasoning (Salt, Monosodium Glutamate, Garlic Powder, Spice Extractives, Onion Powder), Soy Protein Concentrate, Rice Starch and Sodium Phosphates. Battered With: Water, Wheat Flour, Leavening (Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate, Sodium Bicarbonate, Monocalcium Phosphate), Salt, Dextrose, Monosodium Glutamate, Spice and Onion Powder. Predusted With: Wheat Flour, Wheat Gluten, Salt, Dried Egg Whites, Leavening (Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate, Sodium Bicarbonate), Monosodium Glutamate, Spice and Onion Powder. Breaded With: Wheat Flour, Salt, Soy Flour, Leavening (Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate, Sodium Bicarbonate), Monosodium Glutamate, Spice, Nonfat Dry Milk, Onion Powder, Dextrose, Extractives of Turmeric and Extractives of Annatto. Breading Set in Vegetable oil.”

No. And I've been pretty open in this thread about my previous experiences and why I don't label foods as good/bad.

Do you have the same reaction to this as you do to the above?

fabtoxphpgnk.png
  • juggernaut1974
    Options

“Chicken Stock, Carrots, Potatoes (With Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate To Protect Color), Peas, Heavy Cream, Modified Food Starch, Contains 2% Or Less Of Wheat Flour, Salt, Chicken Fat, Dried Dairy Blend (Whey, Calcium Caseinate), Butter (Cream, Salt), Natural Chicken Flavor With Other Natural Flavors (Salt, Natural Flavoring, Maltodextrin, Milk Solids, Nonfat Dry Milk, Chicken Fat, Beef Extract, Ascorbic Acid [To Help Protect Flavor]), Monosodium Glutamate, Liquid Margarine (Vegetable Oil Blend [Liquid Soybean, Hydrogenated Cottonseed, Hydrogenated Soybean], Water, Vegetable Mono And Diglycerides, Beta Carotene [Color]), Roasted Garlic Juice Flavor (Garlic Juice, Salt, Natural Flavors), Gelatin, Roasted Onion Juice Flavor (Onion Juice, Salt, Natural Flavors), Chicken Pot Pie Flavor (Hydrolyzed Corn, Soy And Wheat Gluten Protein, Salt, Vegetable Stock [Carrot, Onion, Celery], Maltodextrin, Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Flavors, Dextrose, Chicken Broth), Chicken Stock, Sugar, Mono and Diglycerides With Citric Acid to Protect Flavor, Spice, Seasoning (Soybean Oil, Oleoresin Turmeric, Spice Extractives), Parsley, Citric Acid, Caramel Color, Yellow 5. Enriched Flour (Bleached Wheat Flour, Niacin, Ferrous Sulfate, Thiamin Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Hydrogenated Palm Kernel Oil, Water, Nonfat Milk, Maltodextrin, Salt, Dextrose, Sugar, Whey, Natural Flavor, Butter, Citric Acid, Dough Conditioner, L-Cysteine Hydrochloride, Potassium Sorbate and Sodium Benzoate (Preservatives), Colored With Yellow 5 & Red 40. Fresh Chicken Marinated With: Salt, Sodium Phosphate and Monosodium Glutamate. Breaded With: Wheat Flour, Salt, Spices, Monosodium Glutamate, Leavening (Sodium Bicarbonate), Garlic Powder, Natural Flavorings, Citric Acid, Maltodextrin, Sugar, Corn Syrup Solids, With Not More Than 2% Calcium Silicate Added as an Anti Caking Agent OR Fresh Chicken Marinated With: Salt, Sodium Phosphate and Monosodium Glutamate. Breaded With: Wheat Flour, Salt, Spices, Monosodium Glutamate, Corn Starch, Leavening (Sodium Bicarbonate), Garlic Powder, Modified Corn Starch, Spice Extractives, Citric Acid, and 2% Calcium Silicate added as Anticaking Agent OR Fresh Chicken Marinated With: Salt, Sodium Phosphate and Monosodium Glutamate. Breaded With: Wheat Flour, Sodium Chloride and Anti-caking Agent (Tricalcium Phosphate), Nonfat Milk, Egg Whites, Colonel’s Secret Original Recipe Seasoning OR Potato Starch, Sodium Phosphate, Salt, Breaded With: Wheat Flour, Sodium Chloride and Anti-caking agent (Tricalcium Phosphate), Nonfat Milk, Egg Whites, Colonel’s Secret Original Recipe Seasoning OR Potato Starch, Sodium Phosphate, Salt, Breaded With: Wheat Flour, Salt, Spices, Monosodium Glutamate, Leavening (Sodium Bicarbonate), Garlic Powder, Natural Flavorings, Citric Acid, Maltodextrin, Sugar, Corn Syrup Solids, With Not More Than 2% Calcium Silicate Added as an Anti Caking Agent OR Potato Starch, Sodium Phosphate, Salt, Breaded With: Wheat Flour, Salt, Spices, Monosodium Glutamate, Corn Starch, Leavening (Sodium Bicarbonate), Garlic Powder, Modified Corn Starch, Spice Extractives, Citric Acid, and 2% Calcium Silicate Added As Anticaking Agent OR Seasoning (Salt, Monosodium Glutamate, Garlic Powder, Spice Extractives, Onion Powder), Soy Protein Concentrate, Rice Starch and Sodium Phosphates. Battered With: Water, Wheat Flour, Leavening (Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate, Sodium Bicarbonate, Monocalcium Phosphate), Salt, Dextrose, Monosodium Glutamate, Spice and Onion Powder. Predusted With: Wheat Flour, Wheat Gluten, Salt, Dried Egg Whites, Leavening (Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate, Sodium Bicarbonate), Monosodium Glutamate, Spice and Onion Powder. Breaded With: Wheat Flour, Salt, Soy Flour, Leavening (Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate, Sodium Bicarbonate), Monosodium Glutamate, Spice, Nonfat Dry Milk, Onion Powder, Dextrose, Extractives of Turmeric and Extractives of Annatto. Breading Set in Vegetable oil.”

when i see this, i skip. i dont need to know if the ingredients are safe or not. there are enough things in there that i dont recognize that id rather stay away

And I'll repeat myself yet again.

Saying YOU choose to do something for YOURSELF is different than saying everyone should do so.
  • stevencloser
    Options

when i see this, i skip. i dont need to know if the ingredients are safe or not. there are enough things in there that i dont recognize that id rather stay away

Fear of the unknown, got it.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options

Not unless I see a specific ingredient that gives me cause for concern (which I don't)

"Chicken Pot Pie Flavor" concerns me a little. :o
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    well, if im not sure whats in it, id rather not eat it. call me crazy, but i like knowing whats in my food without having to research it

That's like choosing not to fly because you don't understand the Bernoulli equation that allows an airfoil to create lift...lol
  • stevencloser
    Options
    well, if im not sure whats in it, id rather not eat it. call me crazy, but i like knowing whats in my food without having to research it

Do you know what's in an apple? What causes some people to be allergic to peanuts? I bet you a lot of money, if peanuts weren't a "natural" food, people would petition for them to be banned.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

No. And I've been pretty open in this thread about my previous experiences and why I don't label foods as good/bad.

Do you have the same reaction to this as you do to the above?

fabtoxphpgnk.png

I could almost guarantee that the answer would be yes if the banana wasn't pictured.
  • juggernaut1974
    Options
    "The basic step involved in fighting the fear is to educate oneself "

http://www.healthguidance.org/entry/14229/1/Fear-of-the-Unknown-How-Can-I-Overcome-It.html