1505152535456»

Replies

• kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    kkenseth wrote: »
    vivmom2014 wrote: »
    Rice is so bland and chewy. Quinoa is so fluffy and stays fluffy for use in hot or cold dishes. There are so many ways to prepare it. So fast and easy to cook. Rice takes so long to cook.

Long grain white rice takes about 11-12 minutes to cook. But, whatever.
    The cooking time is influenced by the type of rice, as long grain brown rice takes longer.

Not THAT long. I mean, if 12 minutes is the cap on what you're willing to cook, you're doing it wrong.

12 minutes with kids bugging about when is dinner ready, is like 2 hours no kids time though.

That's for parboiled rice, "unprocessed", "clean" brown rice takes 45 or so.

I used to cook brown rice. Yes, that's what I meant. 45 minutes, not 12. I think it tastes better than white. But, I don't love rice. I do like quinoa very much. I was just surprised that people think it tastes like sadness.

I feel like it's a very divisive food...people either love it or hate it. I know people that eat it a ton and I just think it's...weird. I don't like the texture.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Rice is so bland and chewy. Quinoa is so fluffy and stays fluffy for use in hot or cold dishes. There are so many ways to prepare it. So fast and easy to cook. Rice takes so long to cook.

The cooking time is influenced by the type of rice, as long grain brown rice takes longer.

Not THAT long. I mean, if 12 minutes is the cap on what you're willing to cook, you're doing it wrong.

12 minutes with kids bugging about when is dinner ready, is like 2 hours no kids time though.

I used to cook brown rice. Yes, that's what I meant. 45 minutes, not 12. I think it tastes better than white. But, I don't love rice. I do like quinoa very much. I was just surprised that people think it tastes like sadness.

I feel like it's a very divisive food...people either love it or hate it. I know people that eat it a ton and I just think it's...weird. I don't like the texture.

Yeah, looks like it must just be a taste thing. To me rice doesn't even taste like food. It needs sauce on it. But, quinoa tastes really good. But, others like rice and not quinoa. I have eaten quinoa since I was a teen. So, maybe that's part of it.
  • darkchocthunda
    darkchocthunda Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    The food in and of itself isn't good or bad, its your choice that is. If your goal is maintain a heathy body composition then your choice to eat a certain food at a certain amount is good or bad. Thinking of it that way takes power away from the food.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options

_Terrapin_ wrote: »

I'd liked to live in peaceful harmony. With a smile.....and a coke for everyone. Anybody have a hillside in Cali we can film an ad? I have an incredible idea.

Plenty of lovely hillsides where I live in SoCal! :smiley:
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    richln wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Or you have a rice cooker and the time is zero.

Uncle Bens Ready Rice. 90 seconds. Ta da!

Oh wait. Bad because processed? Since it is in a bag? Even though regular rice is also in a bag? I've tried buying rice, quinoa and couscous not in bags or boxes but they are just so hard to get home in my pockets...

No, bad because it sticks together oddly; smells vaguely like a disused, disinfected but still faintly unpleasant rabbit hutch; and has a regrettably mooshy texture to the tooth compared to freshly-cooked. Just my opinion, though.

Although I disagree with your premise, I am nonetheless impressed with your colorful similes.

+1 Very creative.

Uncle Bens Ready Rice is awesome.

We buy the brown rice, the Basmati, and the Jasmine. 90 seconds AND nom!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

I still think this is reasonable...start it 45 mins before dinner. Problem solved.

Rice cooker. Perfect rice, no hassle.

Too bad I don't care about rice and mainly use my rice cooker for other things, but it makes cooking rice a pleasure.
  • mbhwhitney_rday
    mbhwhitney_rday Posts: 2 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I just came across this and there are some great points. Personally, I think the 'good' versus 'bad' debate is futile. Good and bad are moral issues and foods aren't inherently good or bad... our choices are.

When we have specific goals, there are certainly foods that can help facilitate those goals and some that just aren't going to, IIFYM or not. Moderation is key, and it's what we take in 90% of the time that matters when we have health and fitness goals (assuming anyone who is on this forum does).

If we don't care and don't have goals, we can eat 'unconsciously' - no harm, no foul. This all changes when we DO care about our health / wellness and the people we care about. It's all about context.

I actually wrote a blog post about this very topic earlier in January if anyone is interested: edited by staff

I'd love to hear what you think.