There are 'BAD' foods

Options

Replies

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Twi5ted wrote: »
    As a new starter I'd like to thank you all

It's been such a funny topic to see people arguing in ( a few sad posts regarding conditions) but mainly brilliant.

I can finally fully understand how so many people come to have massive breakdowns whilst on diets and how so many people fall into the traps of "bad food" labels ( a good friends oh works with these people daily)

I'm amazed at some of the posts from the "bad food" side and as this is so high on the forum I'm saddened by how many vaunrable people may get hold of some of the missinformation

O well keep up the discussion some of us can atleast enjoy the petty squabble between adults ......

Always glad to hear from people who are just starting out, or who are usually lurking on the forums - that these petty squabbles really do resonate with some folks. It is for people like you that many continue to try to dispel a lot of the woo and misinformation that abounds on the forums, or just make sure to offer alternative perspectives so that people are aware that you losing weight doesn't have to feel like punishment.

Good luck - and if you haven't already, you should give the "Most Helpful Posts" threads a read at the top of each forum section - there is lots of great info there. Welcome to the site!
  • angelamy1977
    angelamy1977 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Unrefrigerated foods left out on the counter are bad and may make you sick. Food past their expiration date can be bad. Food dropped on the floor not so bad, if you use the 4 second rule.

ETA: Fricken commas, I hate them.

Best response ever :smile: lol
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I like quinoa fine -- slightly more than rice, which I don't care about and rarely eat at home. I feel the same way about normal-sized couscous, but I really like the Israeli couscous (this is the same as pearled, right?). I guess size matters.
  • Twi5ted
    Twi5ted Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Twi5ted wrote: »
    As a new starter I'd like to thank you all

It's been such a funny topic to see people arguing in ( a few sad posts regarding conditions) but mainly brilliant.

I can finally fully understand how so many people come to have massive breakdowns whilst on diets and how so many people fall into the traps of "bad food" labels ( a good friends oh works with these people daily)

I'm amazed at some of the posts from the "bad food" side and as this is so high on the forum I'm saddened by how many vaunrable people may get hold of some of the missinformation

O well keep up the discussion some of us can atleast enjoy the petty squabble between adults ......

Always glad to hear from people who are just starting out, or who are usually lurking on the forums - that these petty squabbles really do resonate with some folks. It is for people like you that many continue to try to dispel a lot of the woo and misinformation that abounds on the forums, or just make sure to offer alternative perspectives so that people are aware that you losing weight doesn't have to feel like punishment.

Good luck - and if you haven't already, you should give the "Most Helpful Posts" threads a read at the top of each forum section - there is lots of great info there. Welcome to the site!

Thank you for the welcome
    I'm of the lucky group of people that don't really care if I lose any weight or not (or it's a lack of determination) I'm more interested in getting back into physically demanding sports I enjoy ( snowboarding, mountain biking, skateboarding) and require a bit of a tuneup after a spat of depression and inactivity.

The way I see it if I cut all the food I enjoy that people class as "bad" and never have it because it's classed as so, I might as well be six ft under (what's the point in being healthy, thin etc if you aren't enjoying any pleasures in food!)

I'll check out the posts, but don't hold much hope for me posting my miracle results like I said I don't hold much value in dieting, I do however like some of the supportive and positive posts I've seen around the majority make up a nice friendly community which is always good to be a part of
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    kkenseth wrote: »
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    How do you pronounce quinoa? Sounds like one of those disgusting fake chemical ingredients.

It's pronounced "sád-ness". Which, coincidentally enough, is exactly what it tastes like.

Yeah, most disappointing non-rice ever.

Finally. I thought I was the only person in the world that didn't love the stuff. I prefer cous cous.

Yea, but can you pronounce it?
  • suziecue20
    suziecue20 Posts: 567 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    How do you pronounce quinoa? Sounds like one of those disgusting fake chemical ingredients.

It's pronounced "sád-ness". Which, coincidentally enough, is exactly what it tastes like.

Finally. I thought I was the only person in the world that didn't love the stuff. I prefer cous cous.

Yea, but can you pronounce it?

• BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Rice is so bland and chewy. Quinoa is so fluffy and stays fluffy for use in hot or cold dishes. There are so many ways to prepare it. So fast and easy to cook. Rice takes so long to cook.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    Rice is so bland and chewy. Quinoa is so fluffy and stays fluffy for use in hot or cold dishes. There are so many ways to prepare it. So fast and easy to cook. Rice takes so long to cook.

Long grain white rice takes about 11-12 minutes to cook. But, whatever.

• ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    vivmom2014 wrote: »

The cooking time is influenced by the type of rice, as long grain brown rice takes longer.

• senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Or you have a rice cooker and the time is zero.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options

The cooking time is influenced by the type of rice, as long grain brown rice takes longer.

Not THAT long. I mean, if 12 minutes is the cap on what you're willing to cook, you're doing it wrong.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options

Not THAT long. I mean, if 12 minutes is the cap on what you're willing to cook, you're doing it wrong.

12 minutes with kids bugging about when is dinner ready, is like 2 hours no kids time though.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    the wheels on the bus go round and round...

and-now-for-something-completely-different-1.jpg

Squared wheels?!? Small rocks?!? The Black Knight?!?!?!?

• _Terrapin_
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

I think both quinoa and cous cous would be the closest I would come to admitting there is bad food. :sick:
    Did we know each other? Key Know Wah is food of the Gods. These Gods live on mountain tops and like crappy food too.
  • _Terrapin_
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I like quinoa fine -- slightly more than rice, which I don't care about and rarely eat at home. I feel the same way about normal-sized couscous, but I really like the Israeli couscous (this is the same as pearled, right?). I guess size matters.

Quinoa is great until you have a package you can't open and it rips open and those little suckers go everywhere. And yes, size matters. #Gotpackageandsizemattersinoneresponse
  • kk_inprogress
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »

12 minutes with kids bugging about when is dinner ready, is like 2 hours no kids time though.

More reasons I don't have kids...
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

That's for parboiled rice, "unprocessed", "clean" brown rice takes 45 or so.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Or you have a rice cooker and the time is zero.

Uncle Bens Ready Rice. 90 seconds. Ta da!

Oh wait. Bad because processed? Since it is in a bag? Even though regular rice is also in a bag? I've tried buying rice, quinoa and couscous not in bags or boxes but they are just so hard to get home in my pockets...
  • _Terrapin_
    Options

More reasons I don't have kids...
    *ahem* you're doing it wrong.
  • kk_inprogress
    Options

That's for parboiled rice, "unprocessed", "clean" brown rice takes 45 or so.

I still think this is reasonable...start it 45 mins before dinner. Problem solved.