There are 'BAD' foods

Options

Replies

• HillSlug98239
    HillSlug98239 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I agree with Matt Fitzgerald: there's no bad food. It's fuel, not poison. Under the right circumstances, a can of Diet Coke and a handful of Oreos could save your life.

Fuel your body. If you want performance, fuel it with high quality stuff. Although I cannot think of any good reason to drink diet soda or eat anything with trans fats, the occasional indulgence - and by occasional, I mean infrequently and not a lot - is not going to a person undue harm.

Eat what you want. I won't pontificate to you about food choices, and I ask that you treat me with the same respect.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    argieroj wrote: »
    I think that something like diet soda is bad because it has no nutritional value and has chemical and acid which are harmful.

Which chemical are harmful? In which ways are they harmful?

My grandson's orthopedist says that soda is bad for bones.

Bad for bones how?
    In what dosage?
    My son drinks almost exclusively milk and water. He has a root beer about once a week. Are his bones in danger?

He told my daughter he recommends no soda for children. He actually thinks no one should drink soda ever, but especially not those with growing bones.

Pediatrician used to - actually, plenty still do because doctors don't always bother to keep their education up - believe that coffee was similar. Something in it, possibly the caffeine would leach calcium was the thought. It is absolutely not true, and there has never been shown that there is any trend in difference height or bone density between children given coffee versus ones not.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I think that something like diet soda is bad because it has no nutritional value and has chemical and acid which are harmful.

Bad for bones how?
    In what dosage?
    My son drinks almost exclusively milk and water. He has a root beer about once a week. Are his bones in danger?

He told my daughter he recommends no soda for children. He actually thinks no one should drink soda ever, but especially not those with growing bones.

For what reason?

Um, because it's bad for their bones. I don't think my daughter quizzed him for study links, if that's what you mean. ;)

But again, why? Is it because the assumption is that if they are drinking soda they are not getting enough calcium? Because a kid who drinks soda must be drinking only soda? If that's the case, I would put that not on the soda, but on the parents...

• tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options

Bad for bones how?
    In what dosage?

For what reason?

Um, because it's bad for their bones. I don't think my daughter quizzed him for study links, if that's what you mean. ;)

See, my dentist gave me info about soda and enamel decay. I then asked follow-up questions, so he pointed me to information that helped me understand it. A nurse practitioner told me to stop drinking soda because sugar will "rot your gut." When she was unable to provide specifics, I discounted her advice.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options

Bad for bones how?
    In what dosage?

For what reason?

See, my dentist gave me info about soda and enamel decay. I then asked follow-up questions, so he pointed me to information that helped me understand it. A nurse practitioner told me to stop drinking soda because sugar will "rot your gut." When she was unable to provide specifics, I discounted her advice.

Okay.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options

Oh that was debunked quite a while back. It was something to do with the carbonation. But yeah, no.

No, it's not the carbonation. Other carbonated drinks are okay. It's the acid, I believe.

Here is what I found at this site...

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/healthy-drinks/soft-drinks-and-disease/

Seems to be geared toward children and adolescents.

Soft drinks and bones

Soda may pose a unique challenge to healthy bones.

Soda contains high levels of phosphate.

Consuming more phosphate than calcium can have a deleterious effect on bone health. (54)

Getting enough calcium is extremely important during childhood and adolescence, when bones are being built.

Soft drinks are generally devoid of calcium and other healthful nutrients, yet they are actively marketed to young age groups.

Milk is a good source of calcium and protein, and also provides vitamin D, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, and other micronutrients.

There is an inverse pattern between soft drink consumption and milk consumption – when one goes up, the other goes down.

• Zaftique
    Zaftique Posts: 599 Member
    Options

Bad for bones how?
    In what dosage?

For what reason?

But again, why? Is it because the assumption is that if they are drinking soda they are not getting enough calcium? Because a kid who drinks soda must be drinking only soda? If that's the case, I would put that not on the soda, but on the parents...

I believe it had to do with the phosphoric acid. Of course, it's the whole Paracelsus law of toxicity: Sola dosis facit venenum, or "The dose makes the poison." Drink liters of pop a day, and guess what? That's gonna be bad for ya!! Crazy, I know!! Whereas the merest snoot of ricin will kill you dead.

But yeah, the only bad food is Hákarl. And probably century eggs.

blurgh.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    There is still substantive discussion occurring. A discussion does not lose its merit by length. Another thread asked why so many people buy into junk science ; impatience with arguments certainly plays into that.

Is important to take a long - term viewpoint when engaging in difficult topics. Opinions and viewpoints are affected slowly over time, exposure and thought. And there is value in publicly engaging those whose viewpoints are immutable, as it exposes to all who view the exchange the strengths and weaknesses of all arguments presented.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Really, phosphates just need to be balanced out with calcium. Kids still need phosphates (how much depends on the age) and a soda only contains like 30mg per serving. Not that much and not that hard to balance out, especially when you consider milk has 200+mg per serving.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Really, phosphates just need to be balanced out with calcium. Kids still need phosphates (how much depends on the age) and a soda only contains like 30mg per serving. Not that much and not that hard to balance out, especially when you consider milk has 200+mg per serving.

You and your silly facts.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    phyllis731 wrote: »
    I make it a point to stay away from processed and fast food. If I can't say the ingredients, I assume it's not in my best interest to put it into my body.

12227801_1653944808221290_2561059390114624698_n.jpg?oh=39b5c0463fd5871cc60c656553441ed4&oe=56E570B0

#ftmfw
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    phyllis731 wrote: »
    I make it a point to stay away from processed and fast food. If I can't say the ingredients, I assume it's not in my best interest to put it into my body.

So when I'm in Thailand I should stick to McDonalds and the restaurants which do Western style food because I don't know how to say Kaeng phanaeng or Pla nueng manao?
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options

100% true. That said, I don't like giving small children soda because they only drink so much in a day. Actually, I stay away from feeding them non-milk caloric beverages (even limiting juice to twice a day) because I've noticed that if they drink too many of their calories they are far more likely to be impossible about eating meals.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »

100% true. That said, I don't like giving small children soda because they only drink so much in a day. Actually, I stay away from feeding them non-milk caloric beverages (even limiting juice to twice a day) because I've noticed that if they drink too many of their calories they are far more likely to be impossible about eating meals.

My 7 year old even tends to fill up on milk, he is a scrawny little thing so we don't let him have unlimited milk anymore because he won't eat as many regular foods.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    How do you pronounce quinoa? Sounds like one of those disgusting fake chemical ingredients.

It's pronounced "sád-ness". Which, coincidentally enough, is exactly what it tastes like.
  • Carlos_421
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    How do you pronounce quinoa? Sounds like one of those disgusting fake chemical ingredients.

It's pronounced "sád-ness". Which, coincidentally enough, is exactly what it tastes like.

Yeah, most disappointing non-rice ever.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »

Finally. I thought I was the only person in the world that didn't love the stuff. I prefer cous cous.
  • Carlos_421
    Options
    kkenseth wrote: »

Finally. I thought I was the only person in the world that didn't love the stuff. I prefer cous cous.

Never had cous cous.
    If presented with the opportunity, I'm not sure I could get past is funny sounding name. Lol
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    kkenseth wrote: »

Never had cous cous.
    If presented with the opportunity, I'm not sure I could get past is funny sounding name. Lol

It's fantastic. I prefer the pearled variety, but both are pretty stellar.