no diet soda

Options
I have not had any diet soda for 5days. Yay. So proud of myself...

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Well if it's something you challenged yourself to do and you have managed to do it then good for you :)

Accepting, of course, that diet soda, having minimal calories will not directly affect your weight or fitness goals
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Job well done. :)
  • matty_1981
    matty_1981 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Some scientific studies suggest that cutting out sweetened fizzy drink is a good thing, as your body still reacts the same way that it does to taking on sugar.
  • stazed657
    stazed657 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    First few days are the hardest! I'm now no Diet Coke for over a year! And minimal diet soda of any sort in that time other than a couple of glasses in the last few days but can really take it or leave it now! It doesn't change weight loss I don't think but I do feel better for it!
  • monetfuge
    monetfuge Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    You're off the "not a real food but a chemical" addiction Step 1. Great Job!!! Keep it up. That's nothing but good.

Maybe organic or whole foods is in your eye for the future?
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,767 Member
    Options
    Well, if you want to because you don't like the taste or something that's great.

*reading thread while cheerfully sipping diet coke, 21lbs lighter, no cancers/whatever nonsense they claim it causes...*
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Great improvement in your health!!! Now cut the Bread and the Cow's Milk!! :)
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    misskarne wrote: »
    Well, if you want to because you don't like the taste or something that's great.

*reading thread while cheerfully sipping diet coke, 21lbs lighter, no cancers/whatever nonsense they claim it causes...*

yeah 70 pounds here perfect health and i drink diet coke or coke zero or sprite zero every day ;)
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Good for you? How are you feeling? Any headaches from the reduced caffeine?
  • flabassmcgee
    flabassmcgee Posts: 659 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I used to have the occasional Diet Coke or Coke Zero. Chewed a lot of sugar free gum. Choose sugar free syrups or packets in my coffee. I gave up sugar free stuff the day I started this.

I noticed my blood sugar has regulated. I hardly ever get hungry. I used to be ravenous between meals and I couldn't figure out why, as I was eating enough calories. I don't know if one's stomach can shrink in just a few weeks or what, but I feel GREAT.

I have heard that synthetic sugar releases insulin from the pancreas, but that could be woo.

This is just what worked for me. I won't turn back now!
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    I used to have the occasional Diet Coke or Coke Zero. Chewed a lot of sugar free gum. Choose sugar free syrups or packets in my coffee. I gave up sugar free stuff the day I started this.

I noticed my blood sugar has regulated. I hardly ever get hungry. I used to be ravenous between meals and I couldn't figure out why, as I was eating enough calories. I don't know if one's stomach can shrink in just a few weeks or what, but I feel GREAT.

I have heard that synthetic sugar releases insulin from the pancreas, but that could be woo.

Aspartame does not cause an insulin response, this study shows that protein does though

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1946186

Same thing, no response

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/49/3/427.full.pdf

And again

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9734727
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Same here! I used to have a serious Diet Pepsi addiction. I thought it was healthy because it has zero calories. Was I ever wrong! The chemicals in it are so harmful to your body an brain. I haven't had a pop in 2.5 years and I'm so glad I quit. Good for you!!!

In what way are the "chemicals" harmful to body and brain please?
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    monetfuge wrote: »
    You're off the "not a real food but a chemical" addiction Step 1. Great Job!!! Keep it up. That's nothing but good.

Maybe organic or whole foods is in your eye for the future?

How is it not a real food? Which chemical in it is proven to harm me?

I love my very, very low calorie dandelion and burdock and unless it is provn to be harmful to me, I'll keep drinking it :)

Good luck with your challenge though.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options

It depends on the sweetener. I think sucralose has an effect, and that's what they are using in Diet Pepsi now. Not sure about Diet Coke, I think there is a version with aspartame but another one with sucralose. I'm not familiar with the Coca-Cola family of products.
  • jlisah
    jlisah Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I stopped drinking diet soda because I read/heard that the taste of artificial sweetener made you crave sweets, and because soda leaches calcium from your body. I'll have a diet coke occasionally when I'm eating out as a treat. I like fizzy drinks though, so I drink more plain seltzer, which has the same effect on the body's calcium. I also brew my own kombucha and make natural soda using a ginger bug. That works, but it's not low cal.
  • Scamd83
    Scamd83 Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    I'm going to drink a can of diet coke to toast your success in your personal challenge.
  • Sued0nim
    edited January 2016
    Options
    jlisah wrote: »
    I stopped drinking diet soda because I read/heard that the taste of artificial sweetener made you crave sweets, and because soda leaches calcium from your body. I'll have a diet coke occasionally when I'm eating out as a treat. I like fizzy drinks though, so I drink more plain seltzer, which has the same effect on the body's calcium. I also brew my own kombucha and make natural soda using a ginger bug. That works, but it's not low cal.

I seem to recall that the leaching calcium from your body was unsubstantiated ...but that possibly it was a result of not eating enough calcium in the diet...eg those who drink a lot of soda are less likely to have a nutritious diet . I don't think the link is correlative from what I remember ...I need to read up on this ...got any sources?

• flabassmcgee
    flabassmcgee Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Aspartame does not cause an insulin response, this study shows that protein does though

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1946186

Same thing, no response

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/49/3/427.full.pdf

And again

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9734727

So it's woo. Got it.

Either way, again, my body is sensitive to sugar free products. Therefore, I cut em out. Makes me feel good.
  • jlisah
    jlisah Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    @ rabbitjb - You may be right. I worked with WebMD/CafeWell last year for my "get healthy" insurance incentive ($200) and the health coaches there said that seltzer was no better than soda as far as the calcium. I did not do my own research. Either way, it doesn't do anything for you nutritionally.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    jlisah wrote: »
    @ rabbitjb - You may be right. I worked with WebMD/CafeWell last year for my "get healthy" insurance incentive ($200) and the health coaches there said that seltzer was no better than soda as far as the calcium. I did not do my own research. Either way, it doesn't do anything for you nutritionally.

In that case, neither does water, really. If I'm getting a diet pop, I either want the caffeine, or a tasty cold drink to enjoy when I'm hungry or thirsty, and without the calories.