no diet soda

Options

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »
    I have not had any diet soda for 5days. Yay. So proud of myself...

Way to go! I believe diet sodas signal the body to replace the calories that are missing in the drink - has the opposite effect than marketing tells us it should have. Many studies show diet soda drinkers are more likely to gain weight.

This is a very good thing to do. Congrats, and keep it up!!!!

Are you talking about the food reward pathways? http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2892765/

If so/he is then that study talks of correlations and states

" Increasing evidence suggests that artificial sweeteners do not activate the food reward pathways in the same fashion as natural sweeteners. Lack of caloric contribution generally eliminates the postingestive component. Functional magnetic imaging in normal weight men showed that glucose ingestion resulted in a prolonged signal depression in the hypothalamus. This response was not observed with sucralose ingestion [50]. Natural and artificial sweeteners also activate the gustatory branch differently. "
  • shrcpr
    shrcpr Posts: 885 Member
    Options

Congratulations! I have to give it up periodically as well because I end up drinking so much it makes my stomach hurt. As you can tell by that comment I don't have that great of success in staying off it! Hope you find success for whatever reason you've given it up.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Way to go! I believe diet sodas signal the body to replace the calories that are missing in the drink - has the opposite effect than marketing tells us it should have. Many studies show diet soda drinkers are more likely to gain weight.

Are you talking about the food reward pathways? http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2892765/

" Increasing evidence suggests that artificial sweeteners do not activate the food reward pathways in the same fashion as natural sweeteners. Lack of caloric contribution generally eliminates the postingestive component. Functional magnetic imaging in normal weight men showed that glucose ingestion resulted in a prolonged signal depression in the hypothalamus. This response was not observed with sucralose ingestion [50]. Natural and artificial sweeteners also activate the gustatory branch differently. "

It also states in the next paragraph down:
    "These pilot investigations are consistent with a revised hypothesis: Sweetness decoupled from caloric content offers partial, but not complete, activation of the food reward pathways. Activation of the hedonic component may contribute to increased appetite. Animals seek food to satisfy the inherent craving for sweetness, even in the absence of energy need. Lack of complete satisfaction, likely because of the failure to activate the postingestive component, further fuels the food seeking behavior. Reduction in reward response may contribute to obesity."

That seems consistent with anecdotal evidence shared by people in the community here about craving sweet stuff after having a diet soda. Cravings -> Overeating -> Obesity, if this is in fact what that user was talking about. I know I've seen the idea posited in the media, just can't remember when or where, about diet soda leading to overeating.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I personally wanna quit because Im so dependent on diet coke and drink tons, but I wanna do it because Id rather have all my teeth at 30 ;)

All things in moderation. If you are having liters of pop everyday, then by all means find a way to cut back. Drink 1 diet soda, then 1 equal serving of cold water. No one needs to taste something sweet all day long.

I have 1 or 2 (12 oz) diet root beers everyday. Still have all my teeth - and I'm over 50!
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    sheclimber wrote: »
    Sheez people. Someone says they've accomplished something and that they are proud of themselves and it turns into a debate. Nothing in the OP, her very first post, was debatable and nowhere was she asking anyone's opinion of if this was a good thing to do or not. Whatever happened to saying... Congratulations. Nice Job. Way to go! and in general being supportive??? Inherent in her post is she thinks its a good thing and is simply looking for some recognition for a job well done. Instead she gets people with thousands of previous posts judging her. I'd love to see the people posting here try to go 5 days with adhering to the philosophy that if you have nothing nice to say, say nothing at all.

Nice job Lisa! Keep up the good work.

I'll go back to avoiding the forums again. Thanks for reminding me why I did in the first place.

Just for clarity, was this your something nice to say?

And who says we're not helping the OP (and a bunch more people lurking?). If someone is white knuckling it to reach a goal, my hope is that they understand whether or not it's actually necessary, or if it's just their preference. If you want unconditional "Great Job"s, post to your friend list or a "quit soda" challenge group and delete anyone that says otherwise. This is the "General weight loss forum" and many of us Come here for factual information. If I can't do that for you, I'd indeed be happy to say nothing at all

And, no judgement to the OP. If quitting diet soda is what you want to do, great job, go for it, keep it up

I agree with your statement @JaneiR36
    I think the forums are a good place to dispell myths and learn about the facts. If we didn't question things then all the misinformation would slip through. I think its a great thing that we can discuss these topics and try to bring out the truth . there are many people who lurk on these boards without ever posting. They deserve to read factual information. That's how people learn .
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Rabbitjb writes:
    I have yet to see a study that can prove otherwise but have seen millions of weblogs and media articles that spin a correlation into a causative effect

"millions of weblogs"?? Really??? Sounds like someone who is trying to sound like an expert. Diet Soda is dangerous for human beings for quite a number of reasons. It may be worthwhile for someone like Rabbitjb do offer the science rather than the reference to "millions of weblogs". Any one else think this way???

Please can you offer the science that shows that "Diet Soda is dangerous for human beings for quite a number of reasons."

Thanks.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Rabbitjb writes:
    I have yet to see a study that can prove otherwise but have seen millions of weblogs and media articles that spin a correlation into a causative effect

"millions of weblogs"?? Really??? Sounds like someone who is trying to sound like an expert. Diet Soda is dangerous for human beings for quite a number of reasons. It may be worthwhile for someone like Rabbitjb do offer the science rather than the reference to "millions of weblogs". Any one else think this way???

I'm sure some people may think or feel that way but there's also people that believe in all sorts of twaddle through fear and ignorance.
    Let's see your science - hope it's not a study on mice genetically modified to be susceptible to cancer though.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Rabbitjb writes:

heheheh.. the irony is strong

OK @slimming4life, you got me on the hyperbole of 'millions' .. I thought that was a clear grammatical construct for effect but clearly not.. apologies I don't have a count.

I've already posted some studies upthread .. perhaps you have some that will refute these? Shall we start there?

And I am by no means an expert, just an interested amateur and I'm always happy to learn from people who can clearly construct an argument with supporting studies (agree with Sijomial re rodent studies though, absolutely irrelevant to humans on this issue)

Here - these are the studies I've already brought into this thread
    I used to have the occasional Diet Coke or Coke Zero. Chewed a lot of sugar free gum. Choose sugar free syrups or packets in my coffee. I gave up sugar free stuff the day I started this.

I noticed my blood sugar has regulated. I hardly ever get hungry. I used to be ravenous between meals and I couldn't figure out why, as I was eating enough calories. I don't know if one's stomach can shrink in just a few weeks or what, but I feel GREAT.

I have heard that synthetic sugar releases insulin from the pancreas, but that could be woo.

This is just what worked for me. I won't turn back now!

Aspartame does not cause an insulin response, this study shows that protein does though

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1946186

Same thing, no response

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/49/3/427.full.pdf

And again

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9734727
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

"These pilot investigations are consistent with a revised hypothesis: Sweetness decoupled from caloric content offers partial, but not complete, activation of the food reward pathways. Activation of the hedonic component may contribute to increased appetite. Animals seek food to satisfy the inherent craving for sweetness, even in the absence of energy need. Lack of complete satisfaction, likely because of the failure to activate the postingestive component, further fuels the food seeking behavior. Reduction in reward response may contribute to obesity."

That seems consistent with anecdotal evidence shared by people in the community here about craving sweet stuff after having a diet soda. Cravings -> Overeating -> Obesity, if this is in fact what that user was talking about. I know I've seen the idea posited in the media, just can't remember when or where, about diet soda leading to overeating.

Anecdotes are a dime a dozen. The only thing diet soda makes me crave is diet soda.
  • tara_means_star
    tara_means_star Posts: 957 Member
    Options

Anecdotes are a dime a dozen. The only thing diet soda makes me crave is diet soda.

You and me both.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Doesn't make me crave anything.
  • Biggestloserlisa
    Biggestloserlisa Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much..
  • Biggestloserlisa
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    Job well done. :)

Thank you
  • Biggestloserlisa
    Options
    Thank you
  • Biggestloserlisa
    Options

Thank you. I just wanted to quit drinking it all together and better my health..
  • Biggestloserlisa
    Options
    Thank you I judt wanted to quit drinking all the aspartame and better my health. .
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1308408/why-aspartame-isnt-scary

A thread on Aspartame that people might like to read.
  • kristikitter
    kristikitter Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Good job OP :smiley: I have the same goal as fizzy drinks of any kind bloat my stomach. So well done, it can be difficult to give up!
  • Biggestloserlisa
    Options
    Yes it can be difficult. .good luck.