no diet soda

Options

Replies

• Scamd83
    Scamd83 Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    So much false science from the anti-diet coke side of the argument in this thread. If you want to avoid it, avoid it, but it just looks silly when people make false claims that it is some sort of evil that makes you gain weight. I keep hearing this BS from people I know claiming the diet coke I've been drinking for years will make me fat. The worst part of that is these people are themselves fat, and no, they don't drink diet coke. Weight gain can be blamed on literally anything someone has. It's definitely not a health drink, but it's useful if the rest of your diet is in check.

• Biggestloserlisa
    Biggestloserlisa Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Congrats. :)

Thank you
  • Biggestloserlisa
    Options
    Scamd83 wrote: »
    So much false science from the anti-diet coke side of the argument in this thread. If you want to avoid it, avoid it, but it just looks silly when people make false claims that it is some sort of evil that makes you gain weight. I keep hearing this BS from people I know claiming the diet coke I've been drinking for years will make me fat. The worst part of that is these people are themselves fat, and no, they don't drink diet coke. Weight gain can be blamed on literally anything someone has. It's definitely not a health drink, but it's useful if the rest of your diet is in check.
    Thank you. Yes the rest of my diet is in control ..
  • Biggestloserlisa
    Options
    Thank you
  • crb426
    crb426 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    sheclimber wrote: »
    Sheez people. Someone says they've accomplished something and that they are proud of themselves and it turns into a debate. Nothing in the OP, her very first post, was debatable and nowhere was she asking anyone's opinion of if this was a good thing to do or not. Whatever happened to saying... Congratulations. Nice Job. Way to go! and in general being supportive??? Inherent in her post is she thinks its a good thing and is simply looking for some recognition for a job well done. Instead she gets people with thousands of previous posts judging her. I'd love to see the people posting here try to go 5 days with adhering to the philosophy that if you have nothing nice to say, say nothing at all.

Nice job Lisa! Keep up the good work.

I'll go back to avoiding the forums again. Thanks for reminding me why I did in the first place.

That was my initial reaction as well. As soon as I saw what OP was excited about, I thought, "uh oh, here it comes..."

OP that's awesome about the soda. Congrats on your step-by-step changes. You got this! :)
  • Biggestloserlisa
    Options
    Thank you. ..
  • Biggestloserlisa
    Options
    I have not had any diet soda for 5days. Yay. So proud of myself...

Way to go! I believe diet sodas signal the body to replace the calories that are missing in the drink - has the opposite effect than marketing tells us it should have. Many studies show diet soda drinkers are more likely to gain weight.

This is a very good thing to do. Congrats, and keep it up!!!!

• Biggestloserlisa
    Options
    Thank you.
  • laurenbowen2904
    laurenbowen2904 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Awesome work Lisa!
    I stopped drinking soft drink at the start of December (I had a serious addiction to Diet Coke where I would have 2 - 3 cans a day.) I went through a hard detox (massive headaches for 4-5 days) but I made it through and you will too.
    Keep on going - you can do it!
    Lauren :-)
    P.S I'm still soft drink free - 6 weeks and going strong
  • lostinwebspace
    lostinwebspace Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Diet sodas have their detractors, rarely supporters. Bbbbuuutttt who am I to talk? I have it, probably way too much. No adverse effects. I'm not gaining any weight (which I should because I'm bulking, but that's another story). Still, even though it may or may not have any consequence to weight gain, I'd still say you're better off without it just for the chemicals alone! Go @Biggestloserlisa! Wish I could kick it. I've done two weeks, a week, four or five days, once a few months, but here I am still on it. :/
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

Way to go! I believe diet sodas signal the body to replace the calories that are missing in the drink - has the opposite effect than marketing tells us it should have. Many studies show diet soda drinkers are more likely to gain weight.

This is a very good thing to do. Congrats, and keep it up!!!!

you get that this is correlative and not causative

yaknow like

justinbeiber.jpg
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I am always intrigued in these diet soda threads by people who state things like, "I have read that diet soda may make you crave sweet foods or inhibit your satiety triggers causing you to overeat"

Why do you make a decision like this based on something you read? Does it make you crave sweet foods? Do you believe that by not drinking diet soda, suddenly cookies and brownies and ice cream won't still sound delicious? Because the aspartame is not what makes those foods sound delicious. They are delicious...

Been drinking Diet Coke for 25 years. Drank it when I was a scrawny 95 lb high school girl. Drank it in college and after when I was gaining weight. Drank it the last three years while I was losing weight and now maintaining. It doesn't make me crave food, I don't eat two Big Macs because my body doesn't understand that it's full since I drank a Diet Coke with the Big Mac.

Anyway OP, I do commend you for setting a goal and sticking with it. If you continue to keep it up because it's important to you, that's great.
  • 20months
    20months Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I drank 3-4 diet sodas a day and was 300+ pounds for over 25 years. I am down over 190 pounds and still drink 3-4 diet sodas a day. For me personally I see no negative effects.
  • Biggestloserlisa
    Options
    :)
  • Biggestloserlisa
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    I am always intrigued in these diet soda threads by people who state things like, "I have read that y do you make a decision like this based on something you read? Does it make you crave sweet foods? Do you believe that by not drinking diet soda, suddenly cookies and brownies and ice cream won't still sound delicious? Because the aspartame is not what makes those foods sound delicious. They are delicious...

Been drinking Diet Coke for 25 years. Drank it when I was a scrawny 95 lb high school girl. Drank it in college and after when I was gaining weight. Drank it the last three years while I was losing weight and now maintaining. It doesn't make me crave food, I don't eat two Big Macs because my body doesn't understand that it's full since I drank a Diet Coke with the Big Mac.

Anyway OP, I do commend you for setting a goal and sticking with it. If you continue to keep it up because it's important to you, that's great.

Thank you for your thought..
  • Biggestloserlisa
    Options
    Thank you for your thought
  • Biggestloserlisa
    Options
    Diet sodas have their detractors, rarely supporters. Bbbbuuutttt who am I to talk? I have it, probably way too much. No adverse effects. I'm not gaining any weight (which I should because I'm bulking, but that's another story). Still, even though it may or may not have any consequence to weight gain, I'd still say you're better off without it just for the chemicals alone! Go @Biggestloserlisa! Wish I could kick it. I've done two weeks, a week, four or five days, once a few months, but here I am still on it. :/

Well at least you've tried ..Thank you. .
  • Biggestloserlisa
    Options
    Awesome work Lisa!
    I stopped drinking soft drink at the start of December (I had a serious addiction to Diet Coke where I would have 2 - 3 cans a day.) I went through a hard detox (massive headaches for 4-5 days) but I made it through and you will too.
    Keep on going - you can do it!
    Lauren :-)
    P.S I'm still soft drink free - 6 weeks and going strong

Thats great.great jobLaurenBowen.and Thank you..
  • Biggestloserlisa
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    I am always intrigued in these diet soda threads by people who state things like, "I have read that diet soda may make you crave sweet foods or inhibit your satiety triggers causing you to overeat"

Why do you make a decision like this based on something you read? Does it make you crave sweet foods? Do you believe that by not drinking diet soda, suddenly cookies and brownies and ice cream won't still sound delicious? Because the aspartame is not what makes those foods sound delicious. They are delicious...

• Biggestloserlisa
    Options
    Thank you for your opinion