No more junk food in schools

Options
I just came across this interesting news. I think it's great! What are your thoughts?

The Obama administration is making more moves to prevent childhood obesity—a complete overhaul of the munchies and beverages sold outside of school cafeterias. The administration just released a new set of nutrition standards, which means no more cheese curls or sugar water. You can have fruit. A petite granola bar. Light popcorn. Water. Maybe some low fat tortilla chips, but watch that portion size because everything, according to the new standards, must be under 200 calories.
Changes will go into effect starting in the 2014-2015 school year. This is all part of the Healthy and Hunger-Free Kids Act of 2010, signed by Obama and endorsed by the First Lady. The administration has already required that all federally-subsidized school food be healthier.

The Centers for Disease Control reported that 18 percent of children ages 6 to 11 were obese in 2010—a seven percent increase from thirty years earlier. As of 2010's number, over a third of all adolescents are overweight/obese.

http://gawker.com/hey-kids-obama-is-removing-all-the-fun-junk-food-in-20-610367477

Replies

• Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m1psjcyZgK1qgcra2o1_500.gif
  • lilcassers
    lilcassers Posts: 163
    Options
    thank goodness!!!!!!!!! although my child will be sent with a school lunch. never will i allow them to purchase. But I understand the families that cannot afford it.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    So stupid...
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    I think only my gym classes prevent me from growing into a 5'1'' balloon with the way I ate at school. Chicken poppers, bosco sticks, giant bagels with lots of cream cheese. Om nom nom nom nom.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    In high school, I ate Little Debbie snacks and ice cream for munch, then fast food or pizza after school. I was 110 pounds and size 3.

You know what was different then? Gym class and not spending all day in front of video games and computers.

Get rid of all the junk, but as long as they keep getting rid of recess and PE, kids will be overweight. They aren't addressing the real issue.
  • explosivedonut
    explosivedonut Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Not too long ago, I probably would be upset. Blah blah blah, freedom of choice, blah blah. But now, I think it's a good idea. These aren't adults making poor choices about their health, these are children. People who can't understand what short term choices mean for their longevity. I seriously think this is a step in the right direction. We need to be healthier in this country. If we are healthier we are more productive, richer (less medical bills), and are able to do more. If parents won't teach healthy eating habits, then we should remove the temptation as much as possible.
  • RobynLB83
    RobynLB83 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I think the CA standards have been stricter than this for a long time now. You can't even send junk from home at a lot of schools. I tried to give my step-son a cookie for his snack, and he said they aren't allowed.
  • ClumsyArtist
    ClumsyArtist Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I think the CA standards have been stricter than this for a long time now. You can't even send junk from home at a lot of schools. I tried to give my step-son a cookie for his snack, and he said they aren't allowed.

Wow! Now that's going a bit too far..
  • SillaWinchester
    SillaWinchester Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I love the idea! I just graduated a year ago and I wish my school would of been a bit more strict with the snack machines.. However, they weren't as bad as some. We got baked chips, granola bars, water, and low cal fruit snacks. On the other hand, we had sugary drinks, candy bars and regular chips. It depended on the individual's choice.

Having fruit in the machines doesn't sound too sanitary though haha.
  • maisid
    maisid Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I think it is a great idea, I went to danish schools as a kid and in those schools it is not allowed to give the kid unhealthy food with them.
    Only fruits, veggies, water or milk, whole wheat bread should be in their lunch box. Kids are not allowed to bring candy, soda, ice tea, toast / sandwich bread, nutella, chips etc. with them to school.

Until a few years ago I worked as a teacher and I had a new kid in my first grade class. Her parents had told me in the beginning of the school year that their daughter was very hyper and they tried to control her, but had a hard time doing so. After seeing her lunch for a week I knew what was wrong with her, she only drank coke and ate candy!!! I actually made her drink water, she sure wasn't to happy about it.. LOL
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    I think it's great! Some kids don't get nutritious food at home, and have parents that don't teach them how to eat right. It's awesome that they're doing this in schools.

Besides... why would kids need to eat Snickers bars at school anyway?
  • RobynLB83
    RobynLB83 Posts: 626 Member
    Options

I thought so too. I was like... really? But this is a muscle cookie, and here this 7 year old is persisting, "No! No cookies!" Lol. I thought it was pretty funny. His teacher takes them to get slurpees once a week, so I guess they are teaching some sort of reasonable attitude about moderation. Works for me.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m1psjcyZgK1qgcra2o1_500.gif

Another reason I'm glad I moved to Canada. I'm also glad my daughter isn't in high school anymore.
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Most kids in in school eat food that tastes good. If schools hired cooks and invested in meals that were tasty and relatively healthy then it would be more effective than just removing junk food altogether. Raising awareness that an unhealthy school meal does not cause children to be overweight is also important. A diet that consists of poor food choices throughout the day and a lack of activity causes children to be overweight, not whether they had chose between a coke or a bottle of water at school.

Turning around and saying "ban junk food in school" will achieve nothing if everything else is out of place. We are all on this forum because, at one time or another, we were/are overweight, and throughout school our parents or teachers weren't helping us to learn about training or eating for fat loss. It was just a case of "we need to teach xyz according to the state law".
  • ClumsyArtist
    ClumsyArtist Posts: 40 Member
    Options

I thought so too. I was like... really? But this is a muscle cookie, and here this 7 year old is persisting, "No! No cookies!" Lol. I thought it was pretty funny. His teacher takes them to get slurpees once a week, so I guess they are teaching some sort of reasonable attitude about moderation. Works for me.

Oh ok yeah that makes sense. I wish at 7 years old I would have said no cookies! lol
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I was wondering when someone would post about this. Since it allows diet drinks I expected the "artificial sweeteners are evil" crowd to be all over it.

I think it's a sadly good step. I grew up in the 60'and 70's. We had soda and chips and candy machines in every school. And school lunches were fatty cheap foods. Very, very few of us were fat. Schools didn't cause this problem, but maybe they can help solve it.
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I don't know. When I went to school, the kids who had money just ran to the store across the street before school because they could get all their snacks for cheaper than the vending machine. I think the Whatchamacallits were all dusty by the end of a school year, because no one used the snack machines.

Those of us who didn't have money, of course ate whatever our parents had paid for in the school cafeteria. Or brought a home lunch which was probably full of Wonderbread and snack packs.

Teach the kids moderation in all things, and or they'll just eat junk elsewhere.

(Funniest family argument I ever heard was when a bunch of us were standing at the bus stop, and the family in the house by the bus stop were all arguing over the last Twinkie. I think the dad won. Looking back now, it's actually kind of sad.)
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    ProhibitionPoster.jpg
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I think it's probably best thing for them to do but now it's up to the parents to not buy it at the store and send it with them to school. Some parents will give in to whatever their kids want
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I think it's great! Some kids don't get nutritious food at home, and have parents that don't teach them how to eat right. It's awesome that they're doing this in schools.

Besides... why would kids need to eat Snickers bars at school anyway?
    Why do they need to eat a Snickers bar anywhere? Why do you need to eat one at home or at work or anywhere else?