No more junk food in schools

Options

Replies

• Alwayssohungry
    Alwayssohungry Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    So stupid...

If an individual school wants to do it one their own that is great, if they don't fine. Why the hell does it have to be government regulated ?
  • brixtonbanner
    brixtonbanner Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    The world turns and changes

Earlier posters mention that they ate crap at an earlier age but were active
    I weighed the same at 10 as I did at 49
    140lbs
    but as a kid my social media was jumping on my bike cycling five miles to ask my mate "are you playing?" and if not cycle home again. Then working till 49 I was climbing around arena roofs pulling hoists into the air easily burning off the diet of Full fat cola, mars bars and 30 cigarettes a day

Nowadays
    By the time kids check all their e-mail, Facebook, beebo, Linkedin, MSN, Google+ etc. etc. have they time to get out and burn calories off?
    Are we "grown ups" any better? most of us are affluent enough to own a car, we can afford to buy sweeties (candies) whenever we want whereas our parents probably couldn't . (Maybe thats why many of us associate sweets, the odd glass of wine and all that other stuff with being "A treat") and many of us lunch off supermarket bought mass produced white bread sandwiches

Is it right the USA Government should have to do this? Probably not
    Is it the best they can do at the time? Possibly yes
  • talk2elles
    talk2elles Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I think this is a great idea. My daughter is 7 and in her school (UK ages 4-7) they allow no 'junk' food, no fizzy drinks and will confiscate any food that isn't allowed. Parents are aware of this before they start school. Also, during their break time a big bucket of fruit/veg is delivered and the children get to pick which type they would like to eat. They also help grow and look after their own vegetable and fruit garden and pick and wash them when they are done. I have yet to meet a child at her school who doesn't love sitting on their carpet space during break time and munching on some of the strawberries they grew themselves. They also seem a lot calmer than some of the other local school children who are allowed fizzy drinks (and some were allowed RedBull...a 4year old with RedBull and 1 krispyKreme for their lunch). From my experience I think it is a great idea.
  • fitgirlandfoodie
    fitgirlandfoodie Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    I think it's interesting to see this debate. As a primary school teacher in Ireland, its not such a huge issue here. Next to no schools serve food (except at secondary level). All primary school children bring packed lunches. All schools have a lunch policy, with the majority banning crisps/chocolate/biscuits/high fat or sugary snacks. Some schools allow a treat day. There are no vending machines in primary schools and most are being removed from secondary schools. People don't get upset about not having the freedom to give their kids rubbish, its acknowledged that its healthier for them to have fruit, veg etc. Surely by having such rules it encourages the parents to rethink their food choices for their kids, which can only be a good thing.
    I know a lot of American's don't like state intervention, but if it helps improve health and in the long run save money on healthcare then it can't be a bad thing? Just my opinion.
    Ya kids will always like sweet stuff but do they reallly need to be offered the choice of it when they're in school? Aside from the health issues, it can (and I've had to deal with it) hyperactive behaviour from the sugar rush, and falls in concentration levels when the sugar wares off.
    oh and just curious, are schools really getting rid of recess?? how is this being justified?
  • harvo
    harvo Posts: 4,676 Member
    Options
    But does this prepare then for the real world? Temptation will be around as they get older. Its not the governments job to mandate foods.v these lunches cost more more and is given the nutritional info probably ate filled with preservatives and sodium. You can eat better and still be unhealthy without exercise.
  • harvo
    harvo Posts: 4,676 Member
    Options
    I think it's interesting to see this debate. As a primary school teacher in Ireland, its not such a huge issue here. Next to no schools serve food (except at secondary level). All primary school children bring packed lunches. All schools have a lunch policy, with the majority banning crisps/chocolate/biscuits/high fat or sugary snacks. Some schools allow a treat day. There are no vending machines in primary schools and most are being removed from secondary schools. People don't get upset about not having the freedom to give their kids rubbish, its acknowledged that its healthier for them to have fruit, veg etc. Surely by having such rules it encourages the parents to rethink their food choices for their kids, which can only be a good thing.
    I know a lot of American's don't like state intervention, but if it helps improve health and in the long run save money on healthcare then it can't be a bad thing? Just my opinion.
    Ya kids will always like sweet stuff but do they reallly need to be offered the choice of it when they're in school? Aside from the health issues, it can (and I've had to deal with it) hyperactive behaviour from the sugar rush, and falls in concentration levels when the sugar wares off.
    oh and just curious, are schools really getting rid of recess?? how is this being justified?

All schools do now is prep for the test. Everything is about the test. They've dropped art, music and all vocations from the curriculum. They have also shortened the year to save money. They also no longer have physical education. So, I guess the logical next step is to cut recess. I dunno. I think it's crap. When I went to school we had everything. Auto shop, metal shop, wood shop, physical Ed, art, music, etc.

Great post..i wanted to add that school systems are starting to cut ball programs to save money which means less exercise for some....
  • talk2elles
    talk2elles Posts: 124 Member
    Options

All schools do now is prep for the test. Everything is about the test. They've dropped art, music and all vocations from the curriculum. They have also shortened the year to save money. They also no longer have physical education. So, I guess the logical next step is to cut recess. I dunno. I think it's crap. When I went to school we had everything. Auto shop, metal shop, wood shop, physical Ed, art, music, etc.

Great post..i wanted to add that school systems are starting to cut ball programs to save money which means less exercise for some....

That's horrible! My daughter is only 7 but she has a minimum of 2 hours P.E. per week, two break times every day, 1 hour of music every week, and after school activities which can include cheerleading, football, dance, gymnastic etc provided by the school. They are kids, they should be playing and running around and being creative. How stressed are these children going to be if all they get to do is sit at a table and read/write? This makes me very sad to hear
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    But does this prepare then for the real world? Temptation will be around as they get older. Its not the governments job to mandate foods.v these lunches cost more more and is given the nutritional info probably ate filled with preservatives and sodium. You can eat better and still be unhealthy without exercise.
    This. And, also, it is NOT the government's job or right (and public school is the government) to tell me what to feed my child.

A "friend" of mine posted on FB a while back wanting people to back her up on getting rid of flavored milks in her local schools. Everyone was against it who commented, but she was adamant about it. So a few Nazi-like parents are pushing their personal agendas onto the rest of us.

While this is the trend and true in some districts, it is not the case in all schools across the board.
  • b1505
    b1505 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    After the Jamie Oliver thing in the UK, the school that I was at sixth form at banned "junk" like chips and pizza...however they still sold greasy bacon and sausage sandwiches and chocolate brownies so I don't think the whole thing really worked.
  • rml_16
    Options
    This. And, also, it is NOT the government's job or right (and public school is the government) to tell me what to feed my child.

A "friend" of mine posted on FB a while back wanting people to back her up on getting rid of flavored milks in her local schools. Everyone was against it who commented, but she was adamant about it. So a few Nazi-like parents are pushing their personal agendas onto the rest of us.

While this is the trend and true in some districts, it is not the case in all schools across the board.

Yeah, Im Talking about Southern California only.

As far as the comment about doing or eating whatever you want, I have to disagree. There are issues here. While my kids are healthy and eat well, some parents think nutrition is a donut and chocolate milk. They are idiotic parents. I think it's good to educate and control kids to the point where they can. Learning about proper nutrition is part of the deal, IMO. It's not some big brother scheme. It's the right thing to do. Why are they giving 5-year-olds a choice? Of course a young kid is going to choose crap. Take that option away. When hey are older, hey can make their own decisions. But, while they are young, they should learn about proper nutrition. A ding dong and a Pepsi is not "lunch", IMO.
    We learned about nutrition in health class beginning in elementary school. We were given options at lunch. My schools didn't have vending machines, but we had junk available. Most of us didn't really eat at school, anyway. We'd wait until the end of the day and get fast food and pizza.

But, no, it is NOT OK for the schools to tell me what I can send MY child for lunch from MY house. You will never say anything to convince me of that. Schools are there to teach kids to read, write, do math, whatever. They need to stay away from dietary choices (beyond what they offer if I choose to send money to buy lunch) and religion and everything else like that. It's not their place.

This kind of crap is why so many people are choosing to home school.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I think it's great! Some kids don't get nutritious food at home, and have parents that don't teach them how to eat right. It's awesome that they're doing this in schools.

Besides... why would kids need to eat Snickers bars at school anyway?
    Why do they need to eat a Snickers bar anywhere? Why do you need to eat one at home or at work or anywhere else?

Because they are yummy.

QFT
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options

As far as the comment about doing or eating whatever you want, I have to disagree. There are issues here. While my kids are healthy and eat well, some parents think nutrition is a donut and chocolate milk. They are idiotic parents. I think it's good to educate and control kids to the point where they can. Learning about proper nutrition is part of the deal, IMO. It's not some big brother scheme. It's the right thing to do. Why are they giving 5-year-olds a choice? Of course a young kid is going to choose crap. Take that option away. When hey are older, hey can make their own decisions. But, while they are young, they should learn about proper nutrition. A ding dong and a Pepsi is not "lunch", IMO.
    We learned about nutrition in health class beginning in elementary school. We were given options at lunch. My schools didn't have vending machines, but we had junk available. Most of us didn't really eat at school, anyway. We'd wait until the end of the day and get fast food and pizza.

But, no, it is NOT OK for the schools to tell me what I can send MY child for lunch from MY house. You will never say anything to convince me of that. Schools are there to teach kids to read, write, do math, whatever. They need to stay away from dietary choices (beyond what they offer if I choose to send money to buy lunch) and religion and everything else like that. It's not their place.

A lot of good those nutrition classes did then right lol if you all went for pizza and junk afterwards. Obviously parents aren't doing their jobs when it comes to nutrition so someone has to.
  • rml_16
    Options

A lot of good those nutrition classes did then right lol if you all went for pizza and junk afterwards. Obviously parents aren't doing their jobs when it comes to nutrition so someone has to.
    I was a teenager. I was 110 pounds, size 3 and people actually thought I was anorexic. I was also healthy. As an adult (who has never been REALLY overweight, mostly vanity pounds), I am applying what I learned in school to my eating habits.

We always had healthy food in the house. I hated most of it and wouldn't eat it. My parents did a perfectly fine job.

I have known and been close to MANY people of all walks of life. I have never been in a home where there was no healthy food available. I'm sure they exist, but they are not as prevalent as people seem to think. If a child ate only doughnuts and soda, that child would quickly die of malnutrition.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I have a question for anyone with a vending machine at their schools, if they know. Are the vending machines stocked by the school, or by a vending company? And what are the prices like?

Because, as a thrifty shopper, I've never seen a vending machine anywhere and thought, "Well, damn! That's a really good deal on a candy bar!"

I've never seen a vending machine that had a can of soda for less than $.75, unless it's a Sam's Choice outside WalMart. The highest price I've seen for a 12 pack of soda is $5.29, which comes to $.44 a can. I personally - as a cheapskate - stock up when I see 12 packs at 4 for $10, which comes out to $.20 a can. If money and hungry poor kids are a concern, vending machines aren't the answer.

The difference between paying $.75/can and $.20/ can once a day for the 180 days of a school year is almost $100.