No more junk food in schools

Options

Replies

• Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    Kids aren't getting fat at school. The gov't needs to mess something else up and leave the schools alone.

applause.gif
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    It wasn't junk food in school that made me fat. I wasn't fat at all in high school and I had fried chicken tenders every day for lunch. However, I did play softball and my brother and I played a lot outside. My mother wouldn't let us eat a lot of crap at home either.

It was when I got into college and started to feed myself that was the problem :P
    ^^ This

Yes but that's the thing... you got used to bad eating habits from eating junk every day and not gaining weight. It doesn't last forever...
  • Perplexities
    Perplexities Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    People are making stupid food choices and making their kids fat and potentially sick. Good nutritional behavior is learned in the childhood. Kids copy their parents. At least, they would get some nutrients at school.

"Good nutritional behavior is learned in childhood"
    Going to assume you meant CAN be, yes it can however no where in the OP does it state anything about teaching kids about nutrition, it simply says they'll be replacing food and nothing else.

"At least they would get some nutrients at school"
    Read the OP didn't see anything about extra Nutrients. popcorn, low fat chips and mini granola bars don't have any extra "Nutrients"
  • sarajeanelles
    sarajeanelles Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I purposely have not read any of this thread besides the OP (the 2nd posts eye rolling was enough) and here are my 2 cents. I'm a teacher, a fairly young teacher, this is my 6th year teaching in a VERY poor school district (5th poorest in the good ole US of A). ALL of our students are on free or reduced lunch. Here is an example of a normal meal in one day, and they are the same every week; breakfast is a chocolate, full fat milk, a 'juice' box, a pre packaged waffle with the syrup already added in and and an optional fruit salad with heavy syrup. Lunch: another chocolate, full fat milk, a 'juice' box, a slice of cheese or pepperoni pizza, an optional side of canned green beans, an optional side of fruit in heavy syrup. Just in these two meals, my students are eating more sugar and fat than I eat in 2-3 days and they are in elementary school (2nd grade). All of the meals are served with the 'main dish' (packaged waffle, pizza, uncrustable, etc) on a Styrofoam tray and then they put all of the sides in separate little plastic cups so that the kids don't have to get it and they save money, which means almost no kids in the school get any veggies or fruit on their plates. It is a disgrace. I don't give a God dang if you support Obama, if you're a Republican or if you voted for the freaking tooth fairy, the way we feed our kids in public school is a shame and it has to change. My kids come in and have a mouth full of caps on their teeth b/c their baby teeth have rotted out from all the sugar they eat (and the free, traveling dentist bus is the one who puts the caps on and does their semi annual cleanings, during school ours, b/c they are all too poor to go to the dentist any other way). Half of them are on medication for ADD, ADHD, etc, etc, etc, and you cannot tell me that their diet, most of which is eaten at school, doesn't have a major impact. And the worst part is that these are kids who are getting their meals paid for by us, the tax payers, and that's what they have to eat. And I wouldn't dare deter them from eating it because many of them may not have dinner at night when they go home. So think about that next time you want to roll your eyes at people who are trying to fix this problem.
  • Perplexities
    Options
    I purposely have not read any of this tread besides the OP (the 2nd posts eye rolling was enough) and here are my 2 cents. I'm a teacher, a fairly young teacher, this is my 6th year teaching in a VERY poor school district (5th poorest in the good ole US of A). ALL of our students are on free or reduced lunch. Here is an example of a normal meal in one day, and they are the same every week; breakfast is a chocolate, full fat milk, a 'juice' box, a pre packaged waffle with the syrup already added in and and an optional fruit salad with heavy syrup. Lunch: another chocolate, full fat milk, a 'juice' box, a slice of cheese or pepperoni pizza, an optional side of canned green beans, an optional side of fruit in heavy syrup. Just in these two meals, my students are eating more sugar and fat than I eat in 2-3 days and they are in elementary school (2nd grade). All of the meals are served with the 'main dish' (packaged waffle, pizza, uncrustable, etc) on a Styrofoam tray and then they put all of the sides in separate little plastic cups so that the kids don't have to get it and they save money, which means almost no kids in the school get any veggies or fruit on their plates. It is a disgrace. I don't give a God dang if you support Obama, if you're a Republican or if you voted for the freaking tooth fairy, the way we feed our kids in public school is a shame and it has to change. My kids come in and have a mouth full of caps on their teeth b/c their baby teeth have rotted out from all the sugar they eat (and the free, traveling dentist bus is the one who puts the caps on and does their semi annual cleanings, during school ours, b/c they are all too poor to go to the dentist any other way). Half of them are on medication for ADD, ADHD, etc, etc, etc, and you cannot tell me that their diet, most of which is eaten at school, doesn't have a major impact. And the worst part is that these are kids who are getting their meals paid for by us, the tax payers, and that's what they have to eat. And I wouldn't dare deter them from eating it because many of them may not have dinner at night when they go home. So think about that next time you want to roll your eyes at people who are trying to fix this problem.

Do you teach your students to use paragraphs?
  • sarajeanelles
    sarajeanelles Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I purposely have not read any of this thread besides the OP (the 2nd posts eye rolling was enough) and here are my 2 cents. I'm a teacher, a fairly young teacher, this is my 6th year teaching in a VERY poor school district (5th poorest in the good ole US of A). ALL of our students are on free or reduced lunch. Here is an example of a normal meal in one day, and they are the same every week; breakfast is a chocolate, full fat milk, a 'juice' box, a pre packaged waffle with the syrup already added in and and an optional fruit salad with heavy syrup. Lunch: another chocolate, full fat milk, a 'juice' box, a slice of cheese or pepperoni pizza, an optional side of canned green beans, an optional side of fruit in heavy syrup. Just in these two meals, my students are eating more sugar and fat than I eat in 2-3 days and they are in elementary school (2nd grade). All of the meals are served with the 'main dish' (packaged waffle, pizza, uncrustable, etc) on a Styrofoam tray and then they put all of the sides in separate little plastic cups so that the kids don't have to get it and they save money, which means almost no kids in the school get any veggies or fruit on their plates. It is a disgrace. I don't give a God dang if you support Obama, if you're a Republican or if you voted for the freaking tooth fairy, the way we feed our kids in public school is a shame and it has to change. My kids come in and have a mouth full of caps on their teeth b/c their baby teeth have rotted out from all the sugar they eat (and the free, traveling dentist bus is the one who puts the caps on and does their semi annual cleanings, during school ours, b/c they are all too poor to go to the dentist any other way). Half of them are on medication for ADD, ADHD, etc, etc, etc, and you cannot tell me that their diet, most of which is eaten at school, doesn't have a major impact. And the worst part is that these are kids who are getting their meals paid for by us, the tax payers, and that's what they have to eat. And I wouldn't dare deter them from eating it because many of them may not have dinner at night when they go home. So think about that next time you want to roll your eyes at people who are trying to fix this problem.

Nope, it's not developmentally appropriate for 2nd graders with Autism. However, I do teach social skills, and the part about how being a smart *kitten* is rude and immature is part of our daily curriculum.
  • WhitneySheree88
    WhitneySheree88 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    It isn't just the food in school that is the problem it is the activity. I too ate whatever I wanted in high school and weighed 130 pounds, I was healthy and active. They need to control the portion of the food and make kids participate in Gym or weight training classes (unless the physically can not) I plan on packing my sons lunch for school because I know I can make something that is good for him, and something he likes.
  • aloranger7708
    aloranger7708 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I think this is a good idea. When I was in high school, the options every day were burgers, fries, pizza, bagels, ice cream, slurpees. BUT there was also a salad bar every single day, baked potatoes, and veggies. One of my friends ate fries every day and was skinny. I played varsity softball 7 days a week, ate salads and lean protein, and was still considered overweight (only by a few pounds, though). And who's to say those kids won't just eat like crap when they get home? Also I loved gym class. It was 1.5 hours in the middle of the day (around noon) and we did such fun stuff... archery, bowling, lacrosse, soccer, ice hockey, etc. It was awesome! My high school still has gym but I know many schools are getting rid of it... bring it back! Although with music, cooking, and all those fun things. Maybe if kids could develop an interest in music, sports, tech ed (building), healthy cooking, etc. then they would have less time to sit on their *kitten* all day watching tv or playing video games.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options

Nope, it's not developmentally appropriate for 2nd graders with Autism. However, I do teach social skills, and the part about how being a smart *kitten* is rude and immature is part of our daily curriculum.

rude? why did you at first type "you are an idiot" then edit your paragraph? seems like your first instinct was to be rude.
  • Perplexities
    Options
    I purposely have not read any of this tread besides the OP (the 2nd posts eye rolling was enough) and here are my 2 cents. I'm a teacher, a fairly young teacher, this is my 6th year teaching in a VERY poor school district (5th poorest in the good ole US of A). ALL of our students are on free or reduced lunch. Here is an example of a normal meal in one day, and they are the same every week; breakfast is a chocolate, full fat milk, a 'juice' box, a pre packaged waffle with the syrup already added in and and an optional fruit salad with heavy syrup. Lunch: another chocolate, full fat milk, a 'juice' box, a slice of cheese or pepperoni pizza, an optional side of canned green beans, an optional side of fruit in heavy syrup. Just in these two meals, my students are eating more sugar and fat than I eat in 2-3 days and they are in elementary school (2nd grade). All of the meals are served with the 'main dish' (packaged waffle, pizza, uncrustable, etc) on a Styrofoam tray and then they put all of the sides in separate little plastic cups so that the kids don't have to get it and they save money, which means almost no kids in the school get any veggies or fruit on their plates. It is a disgrace. I don't give a God dang if you support Obama, if you're a Republican or if you voted for the freaking tooth fairy, the way we feed our kids in public school is a shame and it has to change. My kids come in and have a mouth full of caps on their teeth b/c their baby teeth have rotted out from all the sugar they eat (and the free, traveling dentist bus is the one who puts the caps on and does their semi annual cleanings, during school ours, b/c they are all too poor to go to the dentist any other way). Half of them are on medication for ADD, ADHD, etc, etc, etc, and you cannot tell me that their diet, most of which is eaten at school, doesn't have a major impact. And the worst part is that these are kids who are getting their meals paid for by us, the tax payers, and that's what they have to eat. And I wouldn't dare deter them from eating it because many of them may not have dinner at night when they go home. So think about that next time you want to roll your eyes at people who are trying to fix this problem.

You're an idiot

Nice edit.
    Oh, the Irony.
  • marthajo1
    marthajo1 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Stupid. Everything in moderation people. You CAN eat junk here and there and it won't kill you or fatten you up. You just have to do it in moderation and you have to exercise too. We had soda and candy all through my high school in the 80s and there wasn't the issue with obesity as there is now. People are lazy now. Spend too much time on computers and playing video games. Get your kids outside to play! I never see kids outside anymore! Mine are constantly out playing ball, riding bikes, swimming, etc. If your kids are active, a freakin donut at school isn't going to make them obese.
  • Marla64
    Options

:laugh:
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Yet another waste of money. It's no wonder the deficit is so big. Oh wait. The tax payers will be the ones paying for this.

Awesome.
  • Laroka
    Laroka Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Its only good if the parents follow a healthy food plan at home. It will not help what so ever if the parents still let them eat unhealthy at home, or pack unhealthy lunches to take to school. Also kids will start selling unhealthy food to their classmates. It will be like a drug dealer, but a junk food dealer instead hahaha.
  • Marla64
    Options
    Everything the teacher mentioned above falls at the feet of the parents. What they eat, what medications they are on-- all of it. Sure it's easier to declare a kid "ill" with ADD or some other such nonsense (My personal favorite is "ODD" oppositional defiance disorder....otherwise known as a brat who needs a spank or two...) and throw him on medication than actually take the time needed to actually, GASP, parent a child and teach him how to behave.

As for the food...newsflash-- school food sucks. "Healthy" food...crap food...it's mass produced for the best bang for the buck. Is it "nice" for the schools to care about what they're serving our little Johnny? um...sure. If they have a burden to rid their menu of stuff they feel is of little nutritional value, you know, more power to them. God bless 'em. But at the end of the day, it's all going to taste like crap and end up in the trash can.

But, I've read accounts here of schools mandating what can be sent in lunches from home, and forbidding cupcakes for birthday celebrations, et cetera-- overkill. Like a cupcake is going to kill anybody. Hysterical gibberish.
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    Not wanting to aid the obesity problem is a waste of money?

It appears that parents are still allowed to send whatever food in their child's PACKED LUNCH that they want. Schools just won't be selling the stuff. So what exactly is the problem?

What if at a job, your boss said we want you to be healthier, so we won't sell Coca Cola anymore and we won't stock the vending machine with 500 calorie candy bars. BUT ... you can still bring them to work from home.

So .... what's the problem? Nobody is telling you what to eat. They simply won't provide it.
  • JustJennie1
    Options
    Its only good if the parents follow a healthy food plan at home. It will not help what so ever if the parents still let them eat unhealthy at home, or pack unhealthy lunches to take to school. Also kids will start selling unhealthy food to their classmates. It will be like a drug dealer, but a junk food dealer instead hahaha.

I am sure they will come out with a list of what is appropriate to pack in the lunch your child brings to school. Next they will have guards at the door to the cafeteria searching the bags of all the children, throwing out the "bad" food and suspending them for not following the rules.
  • JustJennie1
    Options
    Not wanting to aid the obesity problem is a waste of money?

It appears that parents are still allowed to send whatever food in their child's PACKED LUNCH that they want. Schools just won't be selling the stuff. So what exactly is the problem?

What if at a job, your boss said we want you to be healthier, so we won't sell Coca Cola anymore and we won't stock the vending machine with 500 calorie candy bars. BUT ... you can still bring them to work from home.

So .... what's the problem? Nobody is telling you what to eat. They simply won't provide it.

Yes it is a waste of money. I fail to see how taking junk food out of the school is going to help when you just pointed out the fact that the kids who pack their lunches can bring whatever they want. So now kids will just brown bag it so they can have their cheetos, cookies, soda etc. Unless, like I stated in a previous post, they begin policing the packed lunches, searching them and confiscating the contraband food. In all honesty with the way things are going I wouldn't put it past the schools and the government to start doing this.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I work in a secondary school in England. Most schools here have a 'healthy schools' policy and don't sell chocolate, crisps etc. We don't have vending machines and although I bring my own lunch so never go to the canteen, some of my colleagues do and the food looks healthy, with small portion sizes.

My son starts primary school in Sept and he said he wants to take lunch with him. I asked him what he wanted and he said - 'a yoghurt and a banana'. Bless him. He doesn't eat much!

When I went to school I used to go to the salad bar and get a healthy lunch. Even then I was obsessed with counting calories! I had chips (fries) once in 7 years of secondary school!
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    Everything the teacher mentioned above falls at the feet of the parents. What they eat, what medications they are on-- all of it. Sure it's easier to declare a kid "ill" with ADD or some other such nonsense (My personal favorite is "ODD" oppositional defiance disorder....otherwise known as a brat who needs a spank or two...) and throw him on medication than actually take the time needed to actually, GASP, parent a child and teach him how to behave.

As for the food...newsflash-- school food sucks. "Healthy" food...crap food...it's mass produced for the best bang for the buck. Is it "nice" for the schools to care about what they're serving our little Johnny? um...sure. If they have a burden to rid their menu of stuff they feel is of little nutritional value, you know, more power to them. God bless 'em. But at the end of the day, it's all going to taste like crap and end up in the trash can.

But, I've read accounts here of schools mandating what can be sent in lunches from home, and forbidding cupcakes for birthday celebrations, et cetera-- overkill. Like a cupcake is going to kill anybody. Hysterical gibberish.

We were having the exact same conversation at work the other day about ODD! Definitely bad parenting. Basically, the child doesn't like being told no. Ok, must be something wrong with them then, let's drug them up! My 2 and 4 year old don't like being told no. Doesn't mean they have something wrong with them!

At the school I work in we have a massive percentage of SEN kids.