Carbs..

Options
You heard me.. carbs. They pasta, the bread, all that. How do y I u get over it. It's been about a week and a half where I haven't had any of it and I feel like I'm dieing. I know that sounds dramatic and I really am doing well with food and staying within my calorie diet, I just feel unhappy.. sad that I supposition have to just give up my pasta and bread..

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Why do you have to give it up?
  • pierson_lauren
    pierson_lauren Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Everyone says it's like a crazy horrible thing. Like the worst to put in your body. The only positive thing I've heard is pasta and bread is good when you have lost all your weight and yiu are maintaining and watching it.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    Everyone says it's like a crazy horrible thing. Like the worst to put in your body. The only positive thing I've heard is pasta and bread is good when you have lost all your weight and yiu are maintaining and watching it.

I would suggest not taking nutrition advice from anyone that says such nonsense. Are you diabetic?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a medical condition that requires you to eat a low carbohydrate diet, you don't have to limit them. Some people choose to limit them because they find it easier to feel full on a diet that is lower than carbohydrates. But if it makes you unhappy to avoid them, why not include some in your diet?
  • pierson_lauren
    Options
    No I am not diabetic. And I know I know but when you have everyone around you say no no no eat veggies and hard boiled eggs and all that which is fine I like those.. idk I just want to lose weight so bad I guess I listen to the majority..
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Some people are healthier without breads and pastas, and for others it makes no noticeable difference. People give up those foods for health reasons and not typically to lose weight, unless you are eating way too much of it and that is your way of cutting calories.

Are you cutting other carbs too, such as fruits, grains, and sugars ?

Some people experience a withdrawal when some (often problem) foods are removed from their diets. If that is your case it usually passes within 2 weeks. For example, up to about 30% of celiacs, and those with Non-celiac Gluten Sensitivity, experience withdrawal when they stop eating gluten. I did, and I know it wasn't from lowered carbs because there was no change in carb intake; in fact it might have gone up.

Feeling poorly (fatigue, headache, ill) can be caused by an electrolyte imbalance from water weight lost when carbs were cut. 3000-5000mg of sodium per day is often recommended for a low carb diet. Try salting more food, drinking broth/bouilon, or even adding a teaspoon of salt to some water every day. It sounds extreme but it really does help.

If sodium gets too low, potassium and magnesium will get low too which may lead to muscle cramps. Many low carbers find supplementing K and Mg. along with Na, is helpful.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I eat pasta all the time. Other carbs too -- I usually make my meals, especially dinner, a balance between carbs, protein, and fat, and so intentionally include some kind of grain/starch as part of dinner (pasta, potato, sweet potato, corn, etc.), as well as vegetables and protein. Last night I had some Japanese noodles. Lost lots of weight eating this way, and have been maintaining it doing the same.

The thing with a lot of these foods -- it was true for me with pasta -- is that people may have proportion distortion. If you measure out a serving of pasta and eat it with lots of vegetables and some lean meat you have a very healthy meal that's not particularly high cal, and for me quite filling. Back in the day I'd eyeball what a proper amount would be and of course it always makes lots more than you think, and I'd eat more than I really wanted because it was there and tasty. (And some restaurants will give you a weird idea of portion size too, at least in the US.) I'd also overdo higher cal things that you can add, like cheese or olive oil. My pasta meals now are every bit as tasty and satisfying as before, though.
  • KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    This is where my mom would say, "If 'everyone' was jumping off a bridge, would you follow them?" ;)

Bread, pasta, etc are not evil. All things in moderation. Stick with appropriate serving sizes, switch to the whole grain versions, and serve with protein. No problem. :)
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    I am high carb. I eat oatmeal, barley, quinoa, fiber cereal, sweet potatoes, brown rice, wheat pasta.
    (not lately though due to family drama).
    Don't be so hard on yourself. Just go for healthier carbs.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    edited January 2016
    Options
    To lose fat all you need to do is eat less calories than you burn in a day. Some carb heavy foods can be less satiating than protein or fat rich foods, but that doesn't mean you have to give them up. Look for pasta and bread that has a decent amount of fiber. Fiber slows digestion and helps keep you full longer. Also, it's not a bad idea to cut back, but that's not the same as cutting it out totally. Try using a higher fiber pasta and only eating 1/2 or 1/3 as much usual. Less noodles and more sauce isn't a bad thing.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

If this were true Italians would be the most obese, least healthy people on the planet. They're not.

You don't need to give up carbs to lose weight, you need to give up big portion sizes. Low carb is an easy way out sometimes. If you severely restrict one macro, then you may not need to think about portions at all. The problem with the easy way out, is you learn nothing you need for maintenance. Will you be eating low carb forever? Maybe just 2 or 3 low carb days a week for the rest of your life?

Weighing and measuring regular food (all types of food) seems tedious. But you learn from it (and you get used to it).

I'm not trying to be mean. This has been my experience; I've lost weight and regained it. Find some lifestyle changes not temporary ones.
  • pierson_lauren
    Options
    When you say burn as many calories as I eat.. if I am on a 1200 calories diet.. I need to burn 1200 a day?
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options

When you say burn as many calories as I eat.. if I am on a 1200 calories diet.. I need to burn 1200 a day?

It depends on how much you have to lose, your age, weight, height. Most Ppl burn that much or more just by being alive. You should check your TDEE on an online calculator and go from there. I know it seems like a great idea to lose all your weight super quick but, typically the slower you lose the more likely you will keep it off. I eat carbs throughout my day. I have lost 34 lbs doing that. A majority of Ppl though good intentions have no idea about nutrition or losing weight properly. Do your own research and decide what works for you and your lifestyle.
  • mbcieslak87
    mbcieslak87 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I literally eat english muffins every morning, pasta every day for lunch, and definitely some sort of carb everyday for dinner, along with carb-y snacks... Just pay attention to serving sizes and also read the nutrition labels, not all carbs are created equally - look for ones with high fiber especially, and if you're trying to lose weight (which you mentioned) look at calories and serving size, and make sure you weigh your food - it makes all the difference in the world.
  • tillerstouch
    tillerstouch Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I am high carb. I eat oatmeal, barley, quinoa, fiber cereal, sweet potatoes, brown rice, wheat pasta.
    (not lately though due to family drama).
    Don't be so hard on yourself. Just go for healthier carbs.

I second the healthier carb idea. Instead of highly processed white bread, go for the whole wheat, or get your crabs from steel cut oats, etc. Carbs aren't bad just misunderstood.

If you want to limit your carbs don't cut them completely. Still get some quality carbs from some source.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Why do you have to give it up?
    this

I would suggest not taking nutrition advice from anyone that says such nonsense. Are you diabetic?

This

And you need to read the stickies cos you're doing it wrong

• whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    No I am not diabetic. And I know I know but when you have everyone around you say no no no eat veggies and hard boiled eggs and all that which is fine I like those.. idk I just want to lose weight so bad I guess I listen to the majority..

You need to educate yourself. Your body needs carbs to be healthy. Your brain needs carbs to be healthy! Losing weight is about moderation and eating in a way that is sustainable FOR LIFE. You can't and shouldn't completely eliminate any foods or food groups. Do you track your macros on MFP? Mine are 40% carbs every day.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

These people are wrong. There is no need to deprive yourself of the things you enjoy. I am nearly half way through a 90+lb weight loss. I am regularly (almost daily) eating ice cream or having a beer. I enjoy pastas and breads. These things are fine, you need to control the serving size only. You will find as you go along some things are more filling than others. So you need to keep playing around with it until you figure what works for you. A nice pasta with meat (if you eat meat) and veggie sauce and some cheese is very satisfying and can be well balanced nutritionally. If you plan on having pasta and bread once you have lost the weight, doesn't it make sense to learn to fit it into your nutritional plan now? I so this with treat foods and restaurants, because I want to enjoy these 5 hints throughout my life, plus a don't feel like I'm on a diet.

Read the stickied threads at the top of the getting started and general weight loss boards titled "Most Helpful Posts". Particularly the ones on logging accurately, this is where many people make mistakes.

• mbcieslak87
    mbcieslak87 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    whmscll wrote: »

You need to educate yourself. Your body needs carbs to be healthy. Your brain needs carbs to be healthy! Losing weight is about moderation and eating in a way that is sustainable FOR LIFE. You can't and shouldn't completely eliminate any foods or food groups. Do you track your macros on MFP? Mine are 40% carbs every day.

^^^This! Track your macros with MFP and weigh and log everything... don't search the databases either because people are crazy... scan it or manually put it in, if you can. And then just live a well-balanced life with moderate sized portions.