Carbs..

Options

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    When you say burn as many calories as I eat.. if I am on a 1200 calories diet.. I need to burn 1200 a day?

To lose fat you need to burn more than 1200. But that doesn't mean burn 1200 through "exercise". You would likely burn close to 1200 if all you did was sit all day. Breathing, pumping blood through your body, digestion, etc. all burn calories. Movement burns more. If you are at 1200 you should eat more if you exercise.
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    I love carbs. And I can easily overeat on them, so I have a few rules:

-I will eat a bagel, but I'll scoop out the sides as much as I can. Bagels can be the equivalent of four slices of white bread depending on the size

-If I have bread, it will be made from whole grains. I will either bake it myself or read nutrition labels. Ezekiel bread is pretty good and relatively healthy

-if I have pizza, I'll make it rather than buy it so Iwill make a whole wheat crust, and it's cheaper to make it than to buy.

I also try to balance out my carbs with fat and protein to help aid in satiety.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    When you say burn as many calories as I eat.. if I am on a 1200 calories diet.. I need to burn 1200 a day?

NO! Calculate your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) at a site like scoobyworkshop.com or iifym.com. Subtract 10-20% from your TDEE and that would be your daily calorie goal. Eat that consistently and you will lose weight. Carbs are fine, unless they are not letting you hit your calorie goal. In that case, substitute something that does help you hit your goal.

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    whmscll wrote: »
    No I am not diabetic. And I know I know but when you have everyone around you say no no no eat veggies and hard boiled eggs and all that which is fine I like those.. idk I just want to lose weight so bad I guess I listen to the majority..

You need to educate yourself. Your body needs carbs to be healthy. Your brain needs carbs to be healthy! Losing weight is about moderation and eating in a way that is sustainable FOR LIFE. You can't and shouldn't completely eliminate any foods or food groups. Do you track your macros on MFP? Mine are 40% carbs every day.

I agree with educating yourself but the rest is not entirely correct. Your body and brain do not require you to eat carbs. The brain, and a few other organs require some glucose to function. In most people, glucose is made from carbohydrate consumption but glucose can also be created from protein. It can be healthy to eat low carb and have the body create the glucose it needs so the blood does not get elevated levels of blood glucose, especially in those with health problems related to insulin resistance.

Often restricting foods is quite healthy. Very few people eliminate a food group unless there is a health reason for it (like dairy) in which case that is usually a healthier way for that person to eat. The exception to this would be most vegetarians and vegans who eliminate a food group for reasons that are not always about health.

My carbs are about 5% everyday, and it's really helped my health and made losing weight easy. Lower carb can work very well for some people.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    A. Barring a medical condition, -and by medical condition, I mean something actually diagnosed by an MD, not oneself or naturopath - there is no need to forgo carbs beyond personal preference.
    B. Pastas, breads, grains, particularly whole ones are a decent source of certain vitamins and minerals such as magnesium and thiamin - magnesium in whole grains in particular might be responsible for whole grain consumption being associated with better insulin sensitivity and lower risk of diabetes. Certain fibrous grains are associated with lowered cholesterol and lowered risk of heart disease. Hardly bad for people.
    C. If are particularly set on not having them, if it is your preference or the type of relationship you feel you need you have to have with food, then have you looked at substitues? Quest makes a low carb pasta. Isolator fitness makes one too.
    http://www.questnutrition.com/quest-pasta/
    https://isolatorfitness.com/isopasta
  • wykkedtruth
    wykkedtruth Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    No I am not diabetic. And I know I know but when you have everyone around you say no no no eat veggies and hard boiled eggs and all that which is fine I like those.. idk I just want to lose weight so bad I guess I listen to the majority..

You need to educate yourself. Your body needs carbs to be healthy. Your brain needs carbs to be healthy! Losing weight is about moderation and eating in a way that is sustainable FOR LIFE. You can't and shouldn't completely eliminate any foods or food groups. Do you track your macros on MFP? Mine are 40% carbs every day.

I agree with educating yourself but the rest is not entirely correct. Your body and brain do not require you to eat carbs. The brain, and a few other organs require some glucose to function. In most people, glucose is made from carbohydrate consumption but glucose can also be created from protein. It can be healthy to eat low carb and have the body create the glucose it needs so the blood does not get elevated levels of blood glucose, especially in those with health problems related to insulin resistance.

Often restricting foods is quite healthy. Very few people eliminate a food group unless there is a health reason for it (like dairy) in which case that is usually a healthier way for that person to eat. The exception to this would be most vegetarians and vegans who eliminate a food group for reasons that are not always about health.

My carbs are about 5% everyday, and it's really helped my health and made losing weight easy. Lower carb can work very well for some people.

I'm going to point out something though. Complex carbohydrates are important in brain development and the release of seratonin, that feel good chemical that staves off depression and feeling in the dumpsand also studies have proven that eliminating them from a diet can been linked to alzheimers and dementia. There are carbs in almost everything. Portioning out your carbs and opting to reduce the amount you eat while staying within a calorie goal is helpful to some. Please please please make sure your source is reputable. Ask a nutritionist or your doctor or nurse practitioner before you believe something and follow their advice. While there is tonnes of great advice out there, be sure its safe and right for you. Everything in moderation. You shouldnt have to give up on something you enjoy unless its for a medical reason. That can lead to binging when you give into your cravings. Good luck on your journey.

• nvmomketo
    edited January 2016
    Options

I'm going to point out something though. Complex carbohydrates are important in brain development and the release of seratonin, that feel good chemical that staves off depression and feeling in the dumpsand also studies have proven that eliminating them from a diet can been linked to alzheimers and dementia. There are carbs in almost everything. Portioning out your carbs and opting to reduce the amount you eat while staying within a calorie goal is helpful to some. Please please please make sure your source is reputable. Ask a nutritionist or your doctor or nurse practitioner before you believe something and follow their advice. While there is tonnes of great advice out there, be sure its safe and right for you. Everything in moderation. You shouldnt have to give up on something you enjoy unless its for a medical reason. That can lead to binging when you give into your cravings. Good luck on your journey.
    I've read the opposite.... and experienced the opposite.

What you are saying could be true for others.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    Everyone says it's like a crazy horrible thing. Like the worst to put in your body. The only positive thing I've heard is pasta and bread is good when you have lost all your weight and yiu are maintaining and watching it.

I didn't give up carbs, and lost weight successfully. Personally, I believe in losing in the same way that you will want to maintain. Break the yoyo cycle, and learn habits that will sustain you.
  • nvmomketo
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Everyone says it's like a crazy horrible thing. Like the worst to put in your body. The only positive thing I've heard is pasta and bread is good when you have lost all your weight and yiu are maintaining and watching it.

I didn't give up carbs, and lost weight successfully. Personally, I believe in losing in the same way that you will want to maintain. Break the yoyo cycle, and learn habits that will sustain you.

Completely agree withe the bolded.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options

Nothing to be done then but for you to both post your sources.
  • blondierunner2015
    blondierunner2015 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Not all people react the same to certain foods. Do what works best for YOUR body. As for feeling sick, Make sure you get enough salt, (some people drink a little pickle juice) potassium and magnesium.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Most folks are sensitive, to some degree, to Carbs. Your personal tolerance will be different, and may only be discovered through experimentation. To the Journey!!! :)
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    nevermind
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Not all people react the same to certain foods. Do what works best for YOUR body. As for feeling sick, Make sure you get enough salt, (some people drink a little pickle juice) potassium and magnesium.

Do what now?
  • fittyinthemaking
    fittyinthemaking Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    i didn't survive 1 day trying to quit bad carbs, but seriously you don't need to quit them! eat less move more, enjoy your carbs and energy!
  • amandabullock120
    amandabullock120 Posts: 110 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

you need to make choices that work for you, that are sustainable.. go eat some carbs and see how you feel. Might be worth introducing them back into your diet. But, you need to find what works for you.

oh and I didn't give up carbs and have lost over 30lbs. I eat what I want, just within my kcal.
  • wykkedtruth
    wykkedtruth Posts: 47 Member
    Options

You have read and experienced the opposite; from what sources? Not to get into a huge debate. I'm always interested in literature on the subject as it in within my field of work and I have read a lot of research on this topic as a nurse working with the mentally ill and elderly.
  • jruder69
    jruder69 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have given up added sugar (about 95% at least) and seriously cut down on my "processed carbs" such as bread and pasta. I replaced them with more of a paleo lifestyle and for *me* it has worked fantastic. "healthy whole grains" is misleading, research insulin response ect. I found the book "why we get fat: and what to do about it" by Gary Taubes to be very well researched and a interesting read. Just what has worked for me, so please just back away from the keyboard if you are about to slam me. Your experience is your experience and I am not knocking it.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    (some people drink a little pickle juice)

I had a friend that did that on a dare once...there may have been some alcoholic beverages consumed prior to said dare (I can neither confirm nor deny)

• Kimberly_Harper
    Kimberly_Harper Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    You heard me.. carbs. They pasta, the bread, all that. How do y I u get over it. It's been about a week and a half where I haven't had any of it and I feel like I'm dieing. I know that sounds dramatic and I really am doing well with food and staying within my calorie diet, I just feel unhappy.. sad that I supposition have to just give up my pasta and bread..

There will usually be a week or two that you just feel kind of crappy soon after you switch to eating lower-carb. It is common to feel achy, with maybe a headache and possible mood fluctuations. It doesn't last very long, though. If you decide you want to continue the low-carb experiment, maybe just wait out that part and see if you feel better in a week or two?

If not, it just may not be for you.