124»

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »
    arditarose wrote: »
    feemailady wrote: »
    How do you get credit for calories burned for weight training in MFP? I don't see anywhere to log calories burned. I'd like to get info to log one hour of weight training if it's possible. I go every two days.

There is not a large calorie burn for weight lifting. You can log it under cardio but take it with a grain of salt. I have never once logged weight training for calories burned.

That depends on the lifting session. 2 x 20's with only 30 seconds between sets, mixed in with core work nets me about a 425 calorie burn for an hour.

I wouldn't consider that strength training. when you get to 15+ reps it is more like resisted endurance training, very little strength gains will be made. plus the benefit for strength training is not the cals burned.

Also how did you calculate those cals burned? If you used an HRM it will be waaaaaay off. HRM's are only somewhat accurate for a narrow range of activity (steady state cardio) even all cardio but in intervals the HRM will be way off. the calculating embedded in the device assumes steady state.

Well, not all weight training is created equal which is why I posted with regard to calorie burn. The OP mentioned "weight lifting" - not a specific phase within a structured program.

I use periodization in my training every year (mountain bike racer). Coach just put me through three weeks of 2 x 20's. Now I am on to the next phase of three weeks of 2 x 15's which is more weight on the bars, but slower lifts. And by the end of my 24 week training I will have moved through all the usual phases of a periodized program: preparation, hypertrophy, strength, power, and finally a transition to maintenance during the racing months. I've done this multiple years, so I know plates will be adding on as I move through it and the reps drop way down.

However, the sessions I've been through burned through the kcals.

The 2 x 20 sessions...

My Monday session.

5 minute cardio warm up
    2 x 20 seated rows
    2 x 20 deadlifts
    2 x 20 ham curls
    10 minutes core work
    2 x 20 knee extensions
    2 x 20 bench
    2 x 20 straight arm lat pulls
    2 x 20 bench arm pulls
    10 minutes core work
    5 minute stretching

Wednesday

5 mins of cardio warm up
    2x20 Power clean
    2x20 pushpress barbell
    2x20 glute bridge 1-leg
    10 minutes core work
    box blast 20 each leg
    dumbbell 1 arm snatch 20 reps each side
    2x20 standing straight arm pull down
    10 mins core work
    5 minutes of stretching

It doesn't burn as much as 60 minutes on the bike (unless I'm in recovery pace), but it is what it is. You can say it's "way off", or

Thank you for listing your entire workout...?

And my powerlifting and hypertrophy program is not giving me a high calorie burn.

Many people's lifting programs do not. Good for you though.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    streamgirl wrote: »
    However, doing some kind of strength training keeps the muscles working. If the muscles are working the body keeps repairing them and is less inclined to use them as an energy reserve. This will help lessen the loss of muscle while losing, not negate it.
    Otherwise- use them; or lose them.

I've seen this stated previously, but it's never quite made sense to me. I can see that walking or other "easier" activities aren't really pushing muscles to repair and rebuild, but if I push hard on a run, I definitely have muscle burn that I equate with microtears and repair of muscles. How is that functionally different from lifting to tear down and build up muscle?

Training adaptation is activity specific. The stresses of running are not the same as lifting. The "strength" increases that might occur with running are: a) almost all neural adaptation (as opposed to increasing muscle size) and b) will only occur to the extent needed to perform a running movement.

Think of it this way: most strength programs recommend that you lift a weight results in temporary muscle exhaustion in 8 to 12 repetitions. During running, you can perform hundreds or thousands of repetitions without reaching that level of "failure".

How could the two activities have the same or even remotely similar effects?
  • JadeCouch469
    JadeCouch469 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    lift now!

I used to just jog on the treadmill and do plenty of cardio which pounds were dropping off me, until I got myself a personal trainer and started lifting light weights... I instantly seen a difference in my figure (Especially waist)...the pounds may not be dropping off as much as they were but I am in much better shape and am capable of doing so much more now (also much more enjoyable). Best of luck!!! x
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Thank you for listing your entire workout...?

And my powerlifting and hypertrophy program is not giving me a high calorie burn.

Many people's lifting programs do not. Good for you though.

In terms of weight lifting, one's particular body weight, level of lifting (light, moderate, vigorous), length of the session, etc... all factor into the equation of how much of a calorie burn takes place. Some will burn less than 200 calories, and some will burn north of 500.

We have strayed a bit off topic from the OP's question...

I have about 35 pounds to lose. Should I continue with all cardio until I reach my goal weight then add weights? If I do start weight lifting now should I do it before cardio or after?

However, I was responding to the comment...

There is not a large calorie burn for weight lifting. You can log it under cardio but take it with a grain of salt. I have never once logged weight training for calories burned.

My response was primarily due to the OP mentioning she had 35 pounds to lose. I do believe that tracking one's intake as well as level of exercise has proven to be an effective way to help manage one's weight loss, maintenance, or gain. Now that we have heard from various angles of the discussion, we know that some don't even log weight lifting, some do, and not everyone lifts with the same goals.

At this point, the dead horse has been beaten.