How cold is too cold to walk outside?

Options
And why (asthma/arthritis/)?

-20 degrees Celsius (-4 Fahrenheit) would be okay for me, if I just put on enough clothes and keep moving. -30 (-22F) for a short time.

What keeps me indoors, is icy sidewalks.

Replies

• WrenTheCoffeeAddict
    WrenTheCoffeeAddict Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Ice, and wet leaves.. Ugh.. my feet are like a magnet to them, until I tread on them, then my feet are like banana peels to them. Just started walking 4 miles a day, to and from the train station for work - my partner sent me a msg telling me to make sure I walk on the bus route. And get this - not because he was worried that I would fall victim to some sort of sexual predator. No. He said 'just in case you fall over!'
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    never, I head out in minus 40, fresh air is the best! the colder, the better for me!
  • EauRouge1
    EauRouge1 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I don't mind the cold, as long as it's dry and I have the right clothes. I don't like walking in heavy snow because I can't see where I'm going.

But I live in the UK so I only have to deal with this sort of thing if I visit my in-laws in Winnipeg in the winter.
  • HannaSusi
    HannaSusi Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    Last week was around -25C all the time and yeah it feels like my eyeballs freeze but otherwise it's only a matter of dressing right :smile:
    So I'd say never. Though I heard it gets down to -70C in some parts of Russia... I might stay indoors there.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    I'll ski down to -5F, so I guess I'd walk at even colder temperatures. Granted -5F is about as cold as it gets around here except maybe in the middle the night.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    depends on what you are acclimate to.

below 40(f) and i need a jacket/coat. below 30 and i dont go out.
  • brianlundlarsen
    brianlundlarsen Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Depends on wet/wind. Some years ago I ran a few hours in -8c which is not too bad, but it was quite windy and snowing and my gloves got soaked quickly. The day after the run my hands were filled with blisters, so I had some level of frostbite.
    I've run in colder than that before with no problems and definitely gained some respect for cold weather running after that.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    depends on what you are acclimate to.

below 40(f) and i need a jacket/coat. below 30 and i dont go out.

The high today is around +30F. I guarantee there will be people out in shorts here. It has been below zero F here (Minnesota) all week and the highs on the weekend are below zero. It will feel like a heat wave here today. If you are dressed for below zero, and it is not windy, it is invigorating. Wind can be nasty @ below zero F temperatures, but I still go out for walks. My dog doesn't go with me when it is that cold, though. It is really cold on his feet.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,951 Member
    Options
    I have walked and cycled in -40°C/F temps.

Just dress for it.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Coldest I've run in is about -35C.....

djg9zp0jmb6g.jpg

and I have dogs (they hate their little booties) that need to be walked 365 days of the year.

If you dress properly (and don't have any respiratory problems) no weather is "too cold".
  • Kyrenora
    Kyrenora Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Anything below 40F is too low for me to do any serious walking. I still take the dog out, of course, but I don't leave my property on foot. There's a couple reasons for this. 1) I always go for walks with my baby daughter in her stroller, and she's not sustaining the same level of activity I am, so I worry about her getting too cold even when she's all bundled up. 2) I have raynauds syndrome, which is a circulatory disorder that makes me much more susceptible to frostbite and is just downright uncomfortable in colder weather. 3) I'm a pansy.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    I've run in nothing but sweats, the old cotton walffle long underware, a toque, and crappy gloves and running shoes in -40 (it's the same both in C and F) when I was in basic training. Walking, with the right clothing I've done -35C and both were never an issue. The improtant thing is what you are wearing and your attitude. Just make sure you can handle yourself in those temperatures and you'll be fine but if you might want to jump on the treadmill if you are concerned about the cold or walking surface conditions.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Nice to hear all the different responses from fellow walkers :) all around the world! There's no such thing as bad weather :# ZombieLauren, your boyfriend sounds like a nice guy, who knows exactly what a woman wants to hear :D I'll be laughing all day!
  • dirtycxer
    dirtycxer Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    bggn3pp7007c.jpg

Ha! So far I for me I would say never : )
  • saragd012
    saragd012 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Wow, most of you have absolutely put me to shame. My partner and I went running today at 37F and both agreed that if the temps dropped below 30(F) we would find a way to workout indoors.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,951 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    I have walked and cycled in -40°C/F temps.

Just dress for it.

I spent most of my life on the Canadian prairies ... I grew up walking to school in bitterly cold temps. They'd close the schools when the actual temperature (not including windchill) got to -40°C/F ... but if it was only a mere -37°C, the schools were open ... even if the windchill factor put the temp down to -48°C. Used to annoy me as a kid because I wanted the day off to go outside and play in the snow! :grin:

I started cross-country skiing when I was about 12, and you've got to do that when it is below freezing and there's snow on the ground. I got snowshoes in my early 30s and was out snowshoeing in temps around -30°C. If a person can do snow sports in sub-freezing temps, a person can walk in those temps.
  • aerochic42
    aerochic42 Posts: 822 Member
    Options
    Barring ice or really windy, I'll usually go down to about 0F assuming I've had time to adjust (wouldn't want to do it now as I've moved and this winter I've barely spent any time below freezing at all). In high school I was camping in about -30 with wind chill, but I would wimp out now.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    I have been a baby about the ice but I've been out in 15 degrees
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Cold weather is about dressing correctly. People go out with inadequate coats and no layers and then are surprised when they are unhappy and uncomfortable. You know you are dressed correctly for cold weather if you can walk without crunching up your shoulders in hopes of husbanding your body heat.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    I will take my girls out in up to -25 C, and if I'm by myself even -40 C isn't too bad. I can handle either cold or lots of snow. But both together make me want to curl up hibernate.