nicolen160 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    for me..... anything below 50F I just can't take the cold and wind
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    And why (asthma/arthritis/)?

-20 degrees Celsius (-4 Fahrenheit) would be okay for me, if I just put on enough clothes and keep moving. -30 (-22F) for a short time.

What keeps me indoors, is icy sidewalks.

Ice doesn't even keep me in. If we are in a melting/cooling cycle where there could be black ice on sidewalks, I walk in the road. If it is just after snow or ice storms, I put my Kahtoola's on and go outside anyway. If we are in the midst of a snowstorm (6" or more), I wear my snowshoes.

Dress for it in layers so you don't get too hot and make sure you protect exposed skin, especially if it is windy. If you are reasonably comfortable, it is not too cold.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Never too cold. I've ice hiked/camped for two weeks in -30C in the Zanskar mountains (Himalaya region).
    And cycled in -40C/F. It's all about layering up and layering off as you exert yourself.
  • nicolen160
    nicolen160 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Kyrenora wrote: »
    Anything below 40F is too low for me to do any serious walking. I still take the dog out, of course, but I don't leave my property on foot. There's a couple reasons for this. 1) I always go for walks with my baby daughter in her stroller, and she's not sustaining the same level of activity I am, so I worry about her getting too cold even when she's all bundled up. 2) I have raynauds syndrome, which is a circulatory disorder that makes me much more susceptible to frostbite and is just downright uncomfortable in colder weather. 3) I'm a pansy.

I have raynauds syndrome also and I just hate it outside when it is below 50F or even at the freezer section of the grocery stores. It sucks really bad and no one gets it.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    -10 F temps. If it's -10 F wind chill, I'm staying indoors. Plain cold, and your body just warms as you walk. -10 windchill, and the wind is sucking whatever heat you generate right away from you, and you're liable to get frostbite on any exposed skin rather quickly.

And, I don't enjoy walking with my face completely covered.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    nicolen160 wrote: »
    Kyrenora wrote: »
    Anything below 40F is too low for me to do any serious walking. I still take the dog out, of course, but I don't leave my property on foot. There's a couple reasons for this. 1) I always go for walks with my baby daughter in her stroller, and she's not sustaining the same level of activity I am, so I worry about her getting too cold even when she's all bundled up. 2) I have raynauds syndrome, which is a circulatory disorder that makes me much more susceptible to frostbite and is just downright uncomfortable in colder weather. 3) I'm a pansy.

I have raynauds syndrome also and I just hate it outside when it is below 50F or even at the freezer section of the grocery stores. It sucks really bad and no one gets it.

My best friend's mother had it. She couldn't even make hamburger patties or meat loaf because touching the meat was too cold for her hands. She moved to Arizona after she retired because she couldn't drive, even with good gloves, when the temps dipped below 50° (which is about half the year in Wisconsin).
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    I applaud all of you that are out there in the bitter cold. I personally have to draw the line at 32 degrees and under. I do not mind the cold but I fear the ice. I have fallen more than once and I am afraid of breaking a hip.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    And why (asthma/arthritis/)?

-20 degrees Celsius (-4 Fahrenheit) would be okay for me, if I just put on enough clothes and keep moving. -30 (-22F) for a short time.

What keeps me indoors, is icy sidewalks.

I think it would depend on all the conditions plus the temperature and how long. If it is not windy, snowy, icy it isn't as bad to walk outside at a lower temperature for awhile.
    If it is single digits or below zero F or the weather is yucky I'm probably just going to exercise inside.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    Its never too cold. You are just not dressed properly ;)

Then you hit the arctic circle and the communities there gets to -60C (-76F) and only really heavy layers of seal skin work and you aren't going to walk outside unless you want to be hunted by polar bears! I'm staying away from there in the winter just to be safe.
  • Last_mango_in_paradise
    Options
    I hate the cold so . . . 45F and below for me.