No Carb Diet

Options
AndrelleJohnson
AndrelleJohnson Posts: 47 Member
edited January 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
I would like to know how to a no carb diet works? Can someone please explain how this works and what I can not eat if I do decide to do it? Will it really me help lose these last 20 -30 pounds?

Replies

• galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    A calorie deficit will help you lose the last 20-30 pounds, and it will be a hellof a lot easier if you eat carbs. Don't buy into the no carb hype, it's nothing special.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    A calorie deficit will help you lose weight, however you choose to create it.
  • kmash32
    kmash32 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Everything has carbs including fruits, vegetables a meat. I don't even know how this is possible. I can see no grain/rice/potatoes type thing. Though no thank you for me. Carbs are not bad though complex are better for you.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    No carb or low carb because no carb would be close to impossible.

But as above, there's nothing magical about cutting out carbs.
  • Leigh14
    Leigh14 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Your brain uses glucose. Glucose is produced by consuming carbohydrates. If you want to eliminate anything, eliminate simple sugars.

Meats do not have carbs, by the way.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,996 Member
    Options
    Leigh14 wrote: »
    Your brain uses glucose. Glucose is produced by consuming carbohydrates. If you want to eliminate anything, eliminate simple sugars.

Meats do not have carbs, by the way.

Not much, but they do have carbs

From the USDA nutrient database, http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/7184?manu=&fgcd=

Basic Report: 23093, Beef, chuck for stew, separable lean and fat, all grades, raw

Value per 100 g 3.0 oz

Water g 72.51 61.63
    Energy kcal 128 109
    Protein g 21.75 18.49
    Total lipid (fat) g 4.48 3.81
    Carbohydrate, by difference g 0.16 0.14
    Fiber, total dietary g 0.0 0.0
    Sugars, total g 0.00 0.00
  • AndrelleJohnson
    AndrelleJohnson Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    kmash32 wrote: »
    Everything has carbs including fruits, vegetables a meat. I don't even know how this is possible. I can see no grain/rice/potatoes type thing. Though no thank you for me. Carbs are not bad though complex are better for you.

Sooo, will it be better if just cut out the rice, grains, potatoes, breads out my diet? Cause I basically just eat what I want I just try to eat less, healthier.
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    You'd have to be eating literally nothing but meat, which sounds utterly miserable. Even eggs have one gram of carbs. Just eat at a calorie deficit and you'll lose the weight.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    My mom has been low carb for over 10 years. Her diet is meat, dairy and some vegetables. When she first did it in 2005 she lost 30 pounds and has been able to keep it off following low carb.
  • kk_inprogress
    Options

Sooo, will it be better if just cut out the rice, grains, potatoes, breads out my diet? Cause I basically just eat what I want I just try to eat less, healthier.

If you want to lose the last 20-30 lbs, your best bet is to track your calories. You can overeat anything including fruits and vegetables and cutting out food groups won't help if you don't know how much you're taking in.
  • hsmith0930
    hsmith0930 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Unless you have some medical reason to prefer a low-carb diet, it isn't really worth it. I've got PCOS and personally, I've lot weight just counting calories, but because I'm trying to get pregnant, I'm attempting to eat low carb to try to get my body to ovulate. If I didn't care about getting pregnant, I'd just eat at a typical balanced diet at a deficit.
  • Kenda2427
    Kenda2427 Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    You are not better off cutting anything food group for your diet, no food is inherently bad unless you truly have an allergy or sensitivity to it. The key is moderation, portion control and throw in some activity. Cutting out food groups is typically unsustainable.
  • harrybananas
    harrybananas Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Say no to the No Carb diet.
  • Kay2016Sexy
    Kay2016Sexy Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    As a nurse, I'm going to tell you, Low Carb Diets can and do work very well. But as it has already been commented above almost everything has carbs. But the thing is finding out which is good carbs and which are bad carbs. And the amount your allowing your body to take in each day. Following a low-carb diet can help you lose weight, keep blood sugar balanced and lower the amount of triglycerides in the bloodstream. The tricky part is deciding how many carbs you’ll consume and being careful not to go too low unless you’re under the supervision of a registered dietitian or your physician. While some carb-containing foods are on the “do not eat” list, you can still include a variety of healthy carbs on a low-carb diet, as long as you limit portions. As a general guideline, following a low-carb diet means consuming fewer than 130 grams of total carbs daily. Getting fewer than 30 grams of carbs is a very low-carbohydrate ketogenic diet, reported Nutrition and Metabolism in 2008. To protect your health, don’t begin a low-carb diet until you consult a healthcare professional. Once you know your daily carb goals, you can begin to choose the carbs to include on your “do not eat” list. Sweets and baked goods are at the top of the “do not eat” list for several reasons. For starters, they have more carbs than other foods, and they also contain added sugar, which contributes carbs and calories without nutrients, and often have unhealthy saturated or trans fats. Many baked goods provide 30 to 80 grams of carbs per serving, depending on the type of food and serving size. Read all your food labels and look everything up and remember to log it, that way your keeping a good track of what and how much your body is taking in. And remember to drink lots of water. Water is Key in any diet, and it helps flush everything out and helps with keeping you full. I hope this is helpful. And no matter what you choose, I wish you the best of luck, cause let's face it . . . We are all on here for getting fit and staying fit!
  • beeconeofhope
    beeconeofhope Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I just lost 30 lbs from cutting sugar,potato's,rice,pasta,bread and such I also don't eat corn but I eat tons of veggies and a little meat with every meal and I feel great . I was told to watch my starch and sugar due to diabetes running in the family and the doc says what you do is look how many carbs something has and how much fiber subract the fiber number from the carb number and that is what's called a net carb the net carbs are what you need to watch. Veggies have fiber and so those are complex carbs just Google the difference between net carb, complex carbs and simple carb . knowlage is power God bless and good luck :)
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Take a look at your logging first
    How are you measuring your foods? Are you weighing your solids?
    How are you estimating how much you should be eating? Are you eating back exercise calories?

For some people, low carb is an easy way to induce a calorie deficit. I don't know the names, but there are a few low carb groups around here. You don't have to do it unless there's a medical reason to do so.
    7xlqjgcd2k45.jpg
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    As a nurse, I'm going to tell you, Low Carb Diets can and do work very well. But as it has already been commented above almost everything has carbs. But the thing is finding out which is good carbs and which are bad carbs. And the amount your allowing your body to take in each day. Following a low-carb diet can help you lose weight, keep blood sugar balanced and lower the amount of triglycerides in the bloodstream. The tricky part is deciding how many carbs you’ll consume and being careful not to go too low unless you’re under the supervision of a registered dietitian or your physician. While some carb-containing foods are on the “do not eat” list, you can still include a variety of healthy carbs on a low-carb diet, as long as you limit portions. As a general guideline, following a low-carb diet means consuming fewer than 130 grams of total carbs daily. Getting fewer than 30 grams of carbs is a very low-carbohydrate ketogenic diet, reported Nutrition and Metabolism in 2008. To protect your health, don’t begin a low-carb diet until you consult a healthcare professional. Once you know your daily carb goals, you can begin to choose the carbs to include on your “do not eat” list. Sweets and baked goods are at the top of the “do not eat” list for several reasons. For starters, they have more carbs than other foods, and they also contain added sugar, which contributes carbs and calories without nutrients, and often have unhealthy saturated or trans fats. Many baked goods provide 30 to 80 grams of carbs per serving, depending on the type of food and serving size. Read all your food labels and look everything up and remember to log it, that way your keeping a good track of what and how much your body is taking in. And remember to drink lots of water. Water is Key in any diet, and it helps flush everything out and helps with keeping you full. I hope this is helpful. And no matter what you choose, I wish you the best of luck, cause let's face it . . . We are all on here for getting fit and staying fit!

Because you are a nurse, you are an authority. Lots of nope in your post.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options

Why would you want to do that?! What a miserable existence!

You can lose weight with ALL of those things included!
  • Kay2016Sexy
    Kay2016Sexy Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Funny!!!, Cause there are Lot's of Yeses in my comments. And that's the truth sister, sorry if you don't like it but??? You know I can't please everyone, Not everyone likes the truth. But then again everyone will always have something to say. It should be up to them to decide, My comment was for her and if she want's to she can very freely ask her very own Doctor about my comment and I'm positive that he or she will agree with all that my comment states. And FYI, we are all supposed to be on here as friends to be supportive and offer helpful information. I'm not sure how anyone else feels, but honestly, . . . How does your comment on my Post help this person an anyway at all other then you just being a jerk, thinking that (Oh because she's a Nurse she thinks she know's everything)??? It doesn't I'm sure. Cause I'd much rather take advice from someone in the medical field then from someone who's just being rude commenting post's on what someone with medical field experience says. Let work together for the better of all of us on MFP. And Take away all of this negativity. Helping people and giving the best advice I can is not just in my job description. It's who I am, It's what I live for. Sorry that you don't like that.
  • kk_inprogress
    Options
    Unfortunately, being a nurse does not make you an expert in dietetics anymore than it makes anyone else in the medical field an expert that is not a registered dietician. With that said, you were countered because science contradicts your post. Low carb diets work IF they are creating a caloric deficit. The same caloric deficit with lots of carbs would show the same results.

While it's nice to be civil, I'm definitely not friends with everyone on here and I don't support posts that aren't true because a lot of people read these threads without commenting and need good information.