No Carb Diet

Options

Replies

• galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Funny!!!, Cause there are Lot's of Yeses in my comments. And that's the truth sister, sorry if you don't like it but??? You know I can't please everyone, Not everyone likes the truth. But then again everyone will always have something to say. It should be up to them to decide, My comment was for her and if she want's to she can very freely ask her very own Doctor about my comment and I'm positive that he or she will agree with all that my comment states. And FYI, we are all supposed to be on here as friends to be supportive and offer helpful information. I'm not sure how anyone else feels, but honestly, . . . How does your comment on my Post help this person an anyway at all other then you just being a jerk, thinking that (Oh because she's a Nurse she thinks she know's everything)??? It doesn't I'm sure. Cause I'd much rather take advice from someone in the medical field then from someone who's just being rude commenting post's on what someone with medical field experience says. Let work together for the better of all of us on MFP. And Take away all of this negativity. Helping people and giving the best advice I can is not just in my job description. It's who I am, It's what I live for. Sorry that you don't like that.

It helps because it debunks bad information. Which most of that post was... Like you said, not everyone likes the truth.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    As a nurse, I'm going to tell you, Low Carb Diets can and do work very well. But as it has already been commented above almost everything has carbs. But the thing is finding out which is good carbs and which are bad carbs. And the amount your allowing your body to take in each day. Following a low-carb diet can help you lose weight, keep blood sugar balanced and lower the amount of triglycerides in the bloodstream. The tricky part is deciding how many carbs you’ll consume and being careful not to go too low unless you’re under the supervision of a registered dietitian or your physician. While some carb-containing foods are on the “do not eat” list, you can still include a variety of healthy carbs on a low-carb diet, as long as you limit portions. As a general guideline, following a low-carb diet means consuming fewer than 130 grams of total carbs daily. Getting fewer than 30 grams of carbs is a very low-carbohydrate ketogenic diet, reported Nutrition and Metabolism in 2008. To protect your health, don’t begin a low-carb diet until you consult a healthcare professional. Once you know your daily carb goals, you can begin to choose the carbs to include on your “do not eat” list. Sweets and baked goods are at the top of the “do not eat” list for several reasons. For starters, they have more carbs than other foods, and they also contain added sugar, which contributes carbs and calories without nutrients, and often have unhealthy saturated or trans fats. Many baked goods provide 30 to 80 grams of carbs per serving, depending on the type of food and serving size. Read all your food labels and look everything up and remember to log it, that way your keeping a good track of what and how much your body is taking in. And remember to drink lots of water. Water is Key in any diet, and it helps flush everything out and helps with keeping you full. I hope this is helpful. And no matter what you choose, I wish you the best of luck, cause let's face it . . . We are all on here for getting fit and staying fit!

Advice to drink water to "flush everything out" is not helpful.

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Funny!!!, Cause there are Lot's of Yeses in my comments. And that's the truth sister, sorry if you don't like it but??? You know I can't please everyone, Not everyone likes the truth. But then again everyone will always have something to say. It should be up to them to decide, My comment was for her and if she want's to she can very freely ask her very own Doctor about my comment and I'm positive that he or she will agree with all that my comment states. And FYI, we are all supposed to be on here as friends to be supportive and offer helpful information. I'm not sure how anyone else feels, but honestly, . . . How does your comment on my Post help this person an anyway at all other then you just being a jerk, thinking that (Oh because she's a Nurse she thinks she know's everything)??? It doesn't I'm sure. Cause I'd much rather take advice from someone in the medical field then from someone who's just being rude commenting post's on what someone with medical field experience says. Let work together for the better of all of us on MFP. And Take away all of this negativity. Helping people and giving the best advice I can is not just in my job description. It's who I am, It's what I live for. Sorry that you don't like that.

Firstly. What are good carbs and bad carbs? What does that mean?
    Secondly. If you meet your macros for the day and have leftover calories, what would be wrong with some ice cream.
    Third. Drinking lots of water is good but it doesn't help you lose anymore weight than drinking tea or coffee.
  • Kay2016Sexy
    Kay2016Sexy Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Being a nurse makes me more accountable for my post, If it wasn't true I would not have said it. That's all. And NO It wouldn't. If you eat more higher carbs, it's not going to be the same as eating low carbs. It doesn't take a genius to know that. High carb food are bad, sorry but they are? If they wasn't then everyone could eat whatever they wanted to. Especially Diabetes patients.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Being a nurse makes me more accountable for my post, If it wasn't true I would not have said it. That's all. And NO It wouldn't. If you eat more higher carbs, it's not going to be the same as eating low carbs. It doesn't take a genius to know that. High carb food are bad, sorry but they are? If they wasn't then everyone could eat whatever they wanted to. Especially Diabetes patients.

Where do you work as a nurse? I just wanna know so I never go there for treatment.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options

But the OP has said nothing about having diabetes.
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    i eat high carbs ( around 300 gram a day and sometimes over) and lost weight just fine by eating a balanced diet, counting and weighing my food and creating a deficit. And in 400 days...but i worked hard for it.

95069916.png
  • kychoie0330
    kychoie0330 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    You should check this website out. Gives you lists of low card fruits veggies, and foods in general. Also give you a list of low carb options for pretty much all fast food restaurants:

http://lowcarbediem.com/

I started low carb diet (<50g carbs/day) Start out at 260 Got down to about 205-210.
    Macros were 45% protein/40% fats/15% carbs
    I am currently and have been on a diet with 35% calories deficiency which is a bit much but I want to lose fat/weight fast.
    2200ish normal cal intake with light activity
    1500ish with 35% deficiency.

To help calculate your cal intake and what deficiency you want to be at check out this website below. its simple and great to help calculate your macros and what % deficiency you want to set your diet at

keto-calculator.ankerl.com

If you want to know why the keto diet and why it works, just private message me and I can try to do my best to explain.

Hope this helps
  • out2024n
    out2024n Posts: 3 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I've lost 95 pounds in 11 months following a low carb high fat diet. I find it a heck of a lot easier to follow this plan then following a low calorie diet. I usually consume 20-30g of carbs per day. The low carbs comes in the form of meet, diary and lots of veggies. I also include berries of many kinds. Following a low carb high fat diet helps fight cravings, keeps blood sugars consistent and I don't restrict anything other then high carb fruits, grains, processed foods and starches. I still have tons of options and tons of energy. Also following this way of eating and the consistent blood sugar levels (aka less cravings), keeps me from getting hungry. I eat one to two meals a day and maybe a snack, which naturally means less calories consumed as well. I eat when I'm hungry and that's it. If you have insulin resistance I highly recommend a low carb diet but be aware that if you do decide to try it you can't eat cake, candy, ice cream even if you are under your macos for carbs for the day. That will defeat the purpose of keeping you insulin levels low and keeping your body in a fat burning mode. Many people think a low carb diet is negative but do some research on your own body. Cutting calories never worked for me because I have insulin issues (not diabetic but just resistance) and as soon as I would eat fruit, processed grains or starchy foods my body would grab onto these foods and instantly turn it to sugar and then fat. I did the low calories, day after day at the gym thing, it just didn't work. My doctor advised me to check this low carb/high fat diet out and my body took to it instantly. Check out Butter Bob on Youtube, he has a lot of great information in video form.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options

I could make the same argument for why you are wrong, because I, too, work in the medical field and more closely with patient diets than you do....but neither of us are smarter than science.

OP said nothing about being diabetic and there is nothing wrong with high carb foods when it comes to weight loss if they don't cause you to go above your calorie deficit.
  • JordisTSM
    JordisTSM Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    So long as you don't have any medical conditions that are exacerbated by a high carb intake, there is no reason, beyond choice, for restricting carbs.

At the end of the day, weight loss is about taking in fewer calories than what you expend. I have tried Keto, but at the time wasn't watching my calorie intake, so achieved nothing. Possibly, doing both at once may have worked for me.

Over the last year I have simply eaten at a calorie deficit, I haven't restricted any food group, and have continued to eat the foods I like, just in moderation, and within my calories. I've gone from 366lbs to (currently) 273.

If you want to try a low-carb way of eating, go for it, but remember that without the overall calorie deficit, you wont lose weight.

• kk_inprogress
    Options
    You should check this website out. Gives you lists of low card fruits veggies, and foods in general. Also give you a list of low carb options for pretty much all fast food restaurants:

http://lowcarbediem.com/

I started low carb diet (<50g carbs/day) Start out at 260 Got down to about 205-210.
    Macros were 45% protein/40% fats/15% carbs
    I am currently and have been on a diet with 35% calories deficiency which is a bit much but I want to lose fat/weight fast.
    2200ish normal cal intake with light activity
    1500ish with 35% deficiency.

To help calculate your cal intake and what deficiency you want to be at check out this website below. its simple and great to help calculate your macros and what % deficiency you want to set your diet at

keto-calculator.ankerl.com

If you want to know why the keto diet and why it works, just private message me and I can try to do my best to explain.

Hope this helps

I was with you until "private message me." Can't share with the class? I'm curious why keto.

Also, if that's you in the PP, what fat do you have to lose fast??
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Lovee_Dove7 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    This is really extreme dieting. I would think this would be for some medical reason. Why would this be necessary for the average person?
    Low carb (49g net carbs which is gCarbs - gFiber) is low enough. But no carb? I can't see why.
    I used the low carb method, but I chose this because it worked best with my metabolism (but I'm decades older than you), and improved my health in many ways, not just a lower scale number.
    What would no carb ultimately do for you? You'd lose weight but maybe you'd also get some unwelcomed/unplanned effects too.
  • out2024n
    out2024n Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I also follow a low carb diet because the amount of sugar in our foods today is just scary. About 85% of the foods we have the option of buying in grocery stores have added sugar. It can be a very addicting thing. Also the population has been trying the low calories thing from the 70's and generally speaking our population is just getting fatter and fatter. Again a lot of products with added sugar and a lot more processed foods. Your body will use sugar as it's main energy burner because it's easier to burn then fat, if you take away the sugar/carbs it has not choice but to burn fat for energy. I decided, with my doctors help, to try something different and that the low carb diet. I don't follow a program I just eat whole low carb foods. It means a lot of cooking but it's working and it's healthier. My blood pressure has dropped A LOT and my blood work is coming in a lot better as well. Don't discount this way of eating. Talk to you doctor, express your concerns, do your own research for your own body and make a decision. Good luck!
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Leigh14 wrote: »
    Your brain uses glucose. Glucose is produced by consuming carbohydrates. If you want to eliminate anything, eliminate simple sugars.

Meats do not have carbs, by the way.

Not much, but they do have carbs

From the USDA nutrient database, http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/7184?manu=&fgcd=

Basic Report: 23093, Beef, chuck for stew, separable lean and fat, all grades, raw

Value per 100 g 3.0 oz

Water g 72.51 61.63
    Energy kcal 128 109
    Protein g 21.75 18.49
    Total lipid (fat) g 4.48 3.81
    Carbohydrate, by difference g 0.16 0.14
    Fiber, total dietary g 0.0 0.0
    Sugars, total g 0.00 0.00

Even though something like beef doesn't have much by the way of carbs, your body will convert extra protein to glucose to store it. If you don't eat carbs, you'll make them.
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    No such thing as a no-carb diet. Low carb diets are definitely real, and something that I personally feel satisfies me more than lots of carbs. To get to the bottom of things, whatever diet WORKS for you is what you should do. Whether it's just fitting your macros, low-fat, low-carb, high-protein. If it keeps you on track, it works.
  • kk_inprogress
    Options
    No such thing as a no-carb diet. Low carb diets are definitely real, and something that I personally feel satisfies me more than lots of carbs. To get to the bottom of things, whatever diet WORKS for you is what you should do. Whether it's just fitting your macros, low-fat, low-carb, high-protein. If it keeps you on track, it works.

You, I like.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I like my low carb diet, and I still eat a bunch of non-starchy vegetables every day. Fat makes me feel more satisfied than starch does, and I end up eating less than I did when I ate bread, rice, potatoes, and sugar.
  • kk_inprogress
    Options
    lithezebra wrote: »
    I like my low carb diet, and I still eat a bunch of non-starchy vegetables every day. Fat makes me feel more satisfied than starch does, and I end up eating less than I did when I ate bread, rice, potatoes, and sugar.

So true. I don't really low carb, but I can tell when my macro balances are off because of this. It's the one reason I like the idea of low carb and why I really think it helps a lot of people.