No Carb Diet

Options
13»

Replies

• tara_means_star
    tara_means_star Posts: 957 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

I tried low carb and wanted to destroy every carbohydrate within view. The people above me would make homemade bread and that small would drive me to the point of insanity. Then I realized that I was torturing myself for no reason. I started paying attention to my calories over my carbs and I've lost 35 pounds. As for "good" carbs and "bad" carbs....tonight I ate some "good" (beans) and several "bad" (ice cream, starbucks frappucino). Am I worried about all the carbs I ate? Nope. I stayed in a calorie deficit so I know I'll keep losing weight.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Being a nurse makes me more accountable for my post, If it wasn't true I would not have said it. That's all. And NO It wouldn't. If you eat more higher carbs, it's not going to be the same as eating low carbs. It doesn't take a genius to know that. High carb food are bad, sorry but they are? If they wasn't then everyone could eat whatever they wanted to. Especially Diabetes patients.

So vegans and vegetarians are inherently unhealthy? How about places like the blue zones? Just because one eats high carb does not mean they eat low nutrient, high calorie foods (cakes, cookies, etc...). Many high carb foods are very healthy with a wide range of benefits; oatmeal, fruits, quinoa, sweet potatoes, etc..

What makes a diet unhealthy is the quantity of calories and density of nutrients.

Also, my good friend is a University of Penn trained pedantic cardiologist and admits to having no training or knowledge in nutrition. In fact, unless its your specialty, the average doctor has little to no training, so i would ask how much a nurse would have.
  • tara_means_star
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    Being a nurse makes me more accountable for my post, If it wasn't true I would not have said it. That's all. And NO It wouldn't. If you eat more higher carbs, it's not going to be the same as eating low carbs. It doesn't take a genius to know that. High carb food are bad, sorry but they are? If they wasn't then everyone could eat whatever they wanted to. Especially Diabetes patients.

So vegans and vegetarians are inherently unhealthy? How about places like the blue zones? Just because one eats high carb does not mean they eat low nutrient, high calorie foods (cakes, cookies, etc...). Many high carb foods are very healthy with a wide range of benefits; oatmeal, fruits, quinoa, sweet potatoes, etc..

What makes a diet unhealthy is the quantity of calories and density of nutrients.

Also, my good friend is a University of Penn trained pedantic cardiologist and admits to having no training or knowledge in nutrition. In fact, unless its your specialty, the average doctor has little to no training, so i would ask how much a nurse would have.

How much training does a nurse have in nutrition? None. My sister is a nurse. She's excellent at wound care--she even saved the life of a chicken that my dog nearly destroyed (he did kill 4...he's like 8 pounds. It was bad). That being said, there are many things that I trust my sister's judgement on...but nutrition isn't one of them. Consider the fact that several asian communities in the world are considered to have the healthiest diets and to live the longest, including a Japanese community I forget the name of. Asian diets are, in large part, carbs. Think pasta and rice...
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options

How much training does a nurse have in nutrition? None. My sister is a nurse. She's excellent at wound care--she even saved the life of a chicken that my dog nearly destroyed (he did kill 4...he's like 8 pounds. It was bad). That being said, there are many things that I trust my sister's judgement on...but nutrition isn't one of them. Consider the fact that several asian communities in the world are considered to have the healthiest diets and to live the longest, including a Japanese community I forget the name of. Asian diets are, in large part, carbs. Think pasta and rice...

Are you thinking of Okinowa?
  • tara_means_star
    Options

Are you thinking of Okinowa?

I think so!
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Lovee_Dove7 Posts: 742 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

I think their bodies are a little different, like, they have a larger pancreas or something? So they can handle more carbs.
    In a similar way, Northern European people seem to handle dairy better.
  • tara_means_star
    Options

I think their bodies are a little different, like, they have a larger pancreas or something? So they can handle more carbs.

I've never heard of that. Any articles to explain?
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Lovee_Dove7 Posts: 742 Member
    Options

Yes, I just googled some, they're pretty prevalent.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options

Yes, I just googled some, they're pretty prevalent.

How about a legitimate source? Because I googled it and found that it was proposed by one single doctor back in 1930, with no studies to back it up.
  • tara_means_star
    Options
    I googled it and didn't find anything.
  • tara_means_star
    Options
    Perhaps I should edit my original post....I found stuff but nothing from a legit source.