Most annoying "advice" anyone has given you?

Options

Replies

• CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    Caporegiem wrote: »
    People at work that don't do the slightest bit of exercise and have no sense of nutrition telling me that protein powder is "going to kill me"
    Ask em how the feel about dairy :p
  • riverspirit63
    riverspirit63 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    chelsy0587 wrote: »
    "You're pregnant?? Oh well now you are eating for two, have an extra plate!"

"You know they say counting calories is the WORST way to lose weight."

My BF, even though I love him very much... as never once in his life had to ever think about the amount he eats let alone losing weight. After a year of counting calories and seeing me lose 66lbs he's stopped giving me advice... but every now and then he will want me to read some stupid article about how counting calories does nothing for losing weight... What more do I have to do to prove that wrong, and what do I have to do to get you to stop reading that crap??

My BF is the same way. I love him to the moon and back, and I know he means well, but please, take your own advice before you start giving me some!
  • Montepulciano
    Montepulciano Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Any advice that makes diet more complicated than it should be. Cutting out food groups/reducing certain macros, meal timing, fasted vs fuel cardio, breakfast, number of meals, very particular macro distributions, clean eating, most plans that have a name, magic potions and concoctions...etc. Even if there is merit in anything that makes it more complicated, it's not worth the effort of stressing myself out to achieve 100% of my potential weight loss per week when I'm comfortably happy to achieve 99% without spending most of my energy on that 1%.

Love this. So love this. Thank you.
  • Caporegiem
    Caporegiem Posts: 4,297 Member
    Options
    Tomk652015 wrote: »
    Caporegiem wrote: »
    People at work that don't do the slightest bit of exercise and have no sense of nutrition telling me that protein powder is "going to kill me"

lol! Add creatine to that one.

Oh creatine=steriods in any of their minds.
  • riverspirit63
    Options
    CooCooPuff wrote: »
    Running over 1 mile is simply unhealthy :D
    ...That disgusting 5k culture trying to ruin our children's future. XD

The only thing that's ever been annoying is the idea that to lose weight, I had to stop eating "bad foods". It go to the point to where if someone invited me somewhere, another person would answer for me, saying "No, CoocooPuffs can't eat there. She doesn't eat bad foods"

I hate it when someone answers for me, thinking they know me better than I know myself. I didn't get to be this age by not knowing what's good for me.
  • JLG1986
    JLG1986 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    No matter what diet or exercise plan I'm on, people HAVE to disagree. Low carb? Unhealthy, they say. Calorie counting? Doesn't work, they say. High fat? The devil, they say. Lifting heavy? You'll be she-hulk, they tell me!

But even though they always disagree with my diet especially, they turn around and make weird suggestions like only eat one color of food a day. Sigh.
  • riverspirit63
    Options
    BioQueen wrote: »
    The blood type diet, kid you not.

Sounds like a diet for vampires. Sorry, couldn't resist.
  • riverspirit63
    Options
    As soon as someone prefaces a remark with "You need ...." I immediately tune them out. Who knows what I need better than myself?
  • JLG1986
    JLG1986 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Portion Control. When I tell friends that I have a food scale, they just smile condescendingly and suggest using body parts for portion control. Meat the size of your palm. Potatoes the size of your fist. Etc.

I just can't help myself. I go into laser death stare mode. That. Doesn't. Work. For. Me. I need the food scale because if my portion control depended on hand size, I would try to cheat the system. My 6'6" boyfriend has hands the size of a dinner plate. Maybe I can use his hands for portion size... ok, see? 30 seconds later and I've already planned this out lol.
  • riverspirit63
    Options
    What I hate is when I used to ask people for help and support, they thought that entitled them to tell me how much, when, and what kind of food I could eat? I have since learned to stop asking.
  • LB30
    LB30 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I have a few peeves, since I work with an official member of the food police. She always has a few pearls of diet and health wisdom on hand.

1. "The bone broth diet is great. And it is from an expert." Personally, if you want to drink that, have at it. Me? Not so much. I'd rather drink my Diet Coke.
    2. Diet soda- this substance has made me the recipient of several emails with links to how bad it is for me. I don't have reactions to aspartame, and since the studies are inconclusive, I'm gonna go ahead and drink my poison.
    3. "You really need to cleanse your body. Just a few horse pills a day and you'll feel great." I'm sure it would make me lose weight because my wallet would be that much lighter.
    4. "Red meat & pork is pretty bad for you. You should only eat chicken, turkey & fish."
    5. We went to a lunch and learn about fitness. They served gourmet grilled cheese (on hearty bread) and tomato soup. I had to sit through the "I can't believe they are serving completely unhealthy food here." Huh?

There are many more examples, as she buys into whatever fad is chic. One day I'll hear how I should try leeching to cleanse toxins. There is proven science from the middle ages, right?
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    @Nage3000 no they do not. fat makes you fat. the fat you eat is the fat you wear. do the research mate!

Um no not true at all. Tell that to all the low bf% bodybuilders who eat high protein high fat
  • riverspirit63
    Options
    CooCooPuff wrote: »
    FatMoojor wrote: »
    As if the moment you lose weight you have to stop enjoying snacks and treats. No, I just don't eat the whole tin now.
    Yeah. I've had a couple of people treat me this way. My sister did it once and I made sure to eat my daily sweet around her. o:)

Yep. Unfortunately, the quickest way to get me to eat something unplanned is to tell me I shouldn't be eating it. I will totally eat whatever it is and readjust my entire day around that, just because I hate for people to think I can't eat whatever.

Preach it, sista!
  • mean_and_lean
    mean_and_lean Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    @Nage3000 no they do not. fat makes you fat. the fat you eat is the fat you wear. do the research mate!

@PlantBasedKnight So what you're saying is that I can eat 10,000 calories a day with no fat and not gain a pound?! That is like the most amazing thing I have ever heard! *runs off to stuff face* (/sarcasm)
  • Veryana
    Veryana Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    "You should go to The Biggest Losers if you are that serious about weight loss"
  • epona08
    epona08 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I'm getting pretty worn out by all the people who see/hear/notice my weight loss attempts or that I'm working out and immediately want to try to sell me the latest and greatest diet/wrap/supplement. I'm sorry, I don't believe in any of that. If it works for you, great. However that's pretty rare and I'm not wasting my money on something that is highly unlikely to do anything for me.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Worst advice: HUR DUR BUY THIS MLM PRODUCT U WILL MAGICALLY B SUPER THIN. um no. Only my wallet will be thin. Byebye trying to sell me useless, potentially dangerous junk!
  • Panda_brat
    Panda_brat Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    JLG1986 wrote: »
    Portion Control. When I tell friends that I have a food scale, they just smile condescendingly and suggest using body parts for portion control. Meat the size of your palm. Potatoes the size of your fist. Etc.

I just can't help myself. I go into laser death stare mode. That. Doesn't. Work. For. Me. I need the food scale because if my portion control depended on hand size, I would try to cheat the system. My 6'6" boyfriend has hands the size of a dinner plate. Maybe I can use his hands for portion size... ok, see? 30 seconds later and I've already planned this out lol.

Or the one about eating as much protein as the size of a deck of card. I have learned the skill of portion control, and according to blood tests I am getting enough of all my vitamin and minerals ect., I am trying to bulk, I need the extra protein.