Breast Augmentation; yay or nay?

Options
124»

Replies

• Nikkyreckless
    Options
    Nay, don't men prefer all natural??

wouldn't this be the same as don't all men want curves? Sorry to say, but that's pathetic. Not all men want the same exact thing. Also, OP said she wants to do this for herself, not some guy or guys.

thank you ! Well said ; )
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options

Who cares what men prefer she is doing this for herself
  • mrs_mab
    mrs_mab Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't mind a refit, reposition everything and all of that, but I would not go bigger. I'd want perky again.
    Yeah....this ^^^^ for me! Slight reduction and re-lift please!:laugh:
  • Nikkyreckless
    Options
    I am 24 years old and because of a continuous cycle of losing weight, gaining weight and repeating that x100 I now have the boobs of an 80 year old. I'm definitely for augmentation (if only I had the money). Its your body do as you wish.

I also find it interesting how its acceptable to most people to have braces to correct our teeth but some of those people would be against corrective breast surgery or any other type of surgery that changes someones appearance.

The risks are not really comparable, I think that's why. A lift makes more sense to me from a risk POV than an implant (which, no matter what, is a foreign body, in the body). Personally, I'm too much of a control freak to leave it up to a surgeon, the implant manufacturer, and my immune system to sort out. Also, I am annoyed that some cultures (like ours) define femininity exclusively in terms of boobs; not all cultures do, and there are so many other ways to be beautiful.

But I think people should do what they want, as long as the risks & costs are deeply taken into account. The idea of saving extra money for touch-ups sounds reasonable.

i believe everyone should have their own opinion/ beliefs so im in no way shape or form trying to "push" my opinions on anyone. However when i went to get my breast augmentation (lift + implants) i initially was only going to get a lift and the risks for a lift are far higher than just implants. If you look up on realself.com( a cosmetic surgery community with real surgeons there to answer questions) they all will say that anything involving removing skin, and or flaps is more dangerous. This includes tummy tucks, BREAST LIFTS, and body lifts etc. So just make sure your facts are straight when making a decision and or talking about someone else's decision.
    BTW, good for any lady who accepts their body changes when they gain/loose weight and go through pregnancies/breastfeeding. I salute you !
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options

wouldn't this be the same as don't all men want curves? Sorry to say, but that's pathetic. Not all men want the same exact thing. Also, OP said she wants to do this for herself, not some guy or guys.

It was a question not a statement... Are you always rude when you "quote" someone. Anyways I say nay because
    1.) Have you lost all your weight
    2.) Wait until you are done having children because it changes your body.
    3.) I have known of people who have gotten very sick from breast implants.

I don't think I was being rude. I was saying that saying ALL MEN WANT NATURAL is the same as saying ALL MEN WANT CURVES.
  • WhitneySheree88
    WhitneySheree88 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I am struggling with this myself. I am 25, 5'3 and I too have a big bottom, big hips, big thighs and small boobs. I managed to get into a C after having my first son, but with that C I managed to get into a size 18 jeans too. With the weight loss, I am now back to a small B if that. I have had 2 c sections and as much as I want to have big boobs, I am not sure I would willingly be put under for an unneeded procedure myself, not with all the risk involved. But I feel your pain and I wish you the best of luck in whatever you decide!
  • Nikkyreckless
    Options
    Funny how I know that I have answered this exact question at least 3 other times, lol.

Condensed version of my answer: YAY. It was the best decision that I have made for myself in a long time. I did it for me, not to impress anyone or to get a guy (my husband liked me a 32AA, but was supportive of me and loves my new bust too, mainly because it came with a giant helping of self confidence).

I find it funny that more than one person has responded with what a man likes. Sorry, but...who gives a s***??? Women who do this for the right reason are NOT doing it for you, or any man. They are doing it for THEMSELVES. You think the only reason women do anything is to look pretty for a dude? So seriously wrong...

OP: if you want to do it, go for it. Don't look for approval from anyone else. This is something insanely personal and should be all about how YOU feel about YOU.

^^ Love this . especially since youve had it done i feel we know a little more since we've actually been threw the procedure, risks, and recovery !
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    i believe everyone should have their own opinion/ beliefs so im in no way shape or form trying to "push" my opinions on anyone. However when i went to get my breast augmentation (lift + implants) i initially was only going to get a lift and the risks for a lift are far higher than just implants. If you look up on realself.com( a cosmetic surgery community with real surgeons there to answer questions) they all will say that anything involving removing skin, and or flaps is more dangerous. This includes tummy tucks, BREAST LIFTS, and body lifts etc. So just make sure your facts are straight when making a decision and or talking about someone else's decision.
    BTW, good for any lady who accepts their body changes when they gain/loose weight and go through pregnancies/breastfeeding. I salute you !

This is a good reply! And thanks for saying what you did about those of us that accept body changes after pregnancy/breastfeeding. I know how easy it is for us women to be way over-critical of our bodies (far far beyond how anyone else would ever actually think about us). I'm sure some women struggle with this more than others. I struggle with it more. Now, I'm older I can look at my younger self in a realistic way and see how over-critical I was, and how I was not even seeing (and appreciating) myself realistically, but I still struggle with it in the present. I work on it all the time and I know that doing that is the important thing for me to do for my mental and physical health. For me, I am one of those people that should listen to others. And what they say to me is legions more kind and stress relieving than how I would speak to and think of my own self. They support me with what I really want. Sometimes we can be our own worst enemy.

I also just want to address what was said about braces on the teeth. I got braces when I was 11 and it was actually considered medically necessary. Getting braces at a young age like that prevents those later complications of needing to break the jaw (as was mentioned). So, that is not a sensible comparison. There will never be a case in which it is medically necessary for an 11 year old to get breast implants in order to prevent future complications in trying to correct a problem that gets worse as a person gets older. I don't think people should shame people that have breast implants. But, I also do not agree when people compare it to braces or hair dye. Those are just very different things. Of course some people get breast implants as reconstructive surgery, but they would not do that at age 11. It's just different, is all I am saying. Some people, as adults, get elective mastectomies and implants because of the breast cancer gene. I do know that.

I think it requires a lot of deep soul searching. Why does a women not feel comfortable in her own skin and wearing tank tops and revealing clothing. It's worth reflecting on if that could be from a deeper issue and not really about breast size. Or if it is actually because somewhere inside you think other people are judging you in some way. Do you place your self worth in your physical appearance. Think back on things that were said to you, that stuck with you, that could have led to how you feel about yourself. These are questions worth contemplating. I'm not saying there would be one answer for all women. These are just things to think about before making a decision.

Getting implants will not remove those issues if they are present. The implants will bring a new set of issues. As you can see from this thread and others. You need to feel secure enough in yourself to be able to handle the potential judgements that can come along with the implants.

It's a big decision, as it should be. I know someone that had beautiful breasts and she got them because of body dysmorphia and plastic surgery addiction (stemming from a severe past history of child abuse). It is things like that, being the reason why decisions like this should not be undertaken lightly. Or because some guy on the internet said, "If you have to ask, the answer is yes".
  • Momf3boys
    Momf3boys Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    You do what you want and what makes you happy!!! People will always judge regardless so who cares what they think. I think that as long as you go for a natural look you will be fine and you will be 100% happy. Go for it, girl!
  • miss_jessiejane
    miss_jessiejane Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I think if you want to do it, you should. It's your body!
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    If it pleases you, do it.

If you are doing it to please someone else, don't do it.
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    I am 24 years old and because of a continuous cycle of losing weight, gaining weight and repeating that x100 I now have the boobs of an 80 year old. I'm definitely for augmentation (if only I had the money). Its your body do as you wish.

I also find it interesting how its acceptable to most people to have braces to correct our teeth but some of those people would be against corrective breast surgery or any other type of surgery that changes someones appearance.

The risks are not really comparable, I think that's why. A lift makes more sense to me from a risk POV than an implant (which, no matter what, is a foreign body, in the body). Personally, I'm too much of a control freak to leave it up to a surgeon, the implant manufacturer, and my immune system to sort out. Also, I am annoyed that some cultures (like ours) define femininity exclusively in terms of boobs; not all cultures do, and there are so many other ways to be beautiful.

But I think people should do what they want, as long as the risks & costs are deeply taken into account. The idea of saving extra money for touch-ups sounds reasonable.

That's informative, I didn't know that. The situation I was thinking of when I wrote, which I failed to make explicit, was that someone getting a boob job after weight loss would very likely need both a lift and implant. Obviously that's not everyone. So in my mind, I was comparing lift + implant, vs lift alone. (not implant alone)

My understanding is that w just a lift, there are of course the issues attending any major surgery (general anesthesia etc), possible infection, necrosis, scarring (& maybe puckering), etc. And that w an implant, there are additional ones, like capsular contracture; fungal & bacterial infections, which can start out as local & move onto systemic issues; rupture of the implant/leakage of its contents (which can't be guaranteed against 100%, even with the new 'gummy' ones), and other things I can't remember right now.

Will look into it, thanks :)
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options

I totally understanding what you're saying in regards to risk but the point I was trying to make is that there is a negative connotation to having breast surgery as society views people who have it as fake or plastic however changing some other parts is acceptable.

It seems rather hypocritical and not to mention some people including myself have had their jaws broken because of crooked teeth so there's some risk involved there.

Yeah, the sort of moral aspect to it (the 'what's natural is right' idea) is hypocritical, for sure. Artifice is woven into us from all the things we learn and do from birth. No such thing as a natural state.
  • TheBitSlinger
    TheBitSlinger Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    No, I like mine the way they are.
  • Nikkyreckless
    Options

That's informative, I didn't know that. The situation I was thinking of when I wrote, which I failed to make explicit, was that someone getting a boob job after weight loss would very likely need both a lift and implant. Obviously that's not everyone. So in my mind, I was comparing lift + implant, vs lift alone. (not implant alone)

My understanding is that w just a lift, there are of course the issues attending any major surgery (general anesthesia etc), possible infection, necrosis, scarring (& maybe puckering), etc. And that w an implant, there are additional ones, like capsular contracture; fungal & bacterial infections, which can start out as local & move onto systemic issues; rupture of the implant/leakage of its contents (which can't be guaranteed against 100%, even with the new 'gummy' ones), and other things I can't remember right now.

Will look into it, thanks :)

Oh i guess i assumed it could go either way since some people are able to get one or the other without needing both. I had lost 75 pounds that i gained form my pregnancy that caused alot of loose skin but it doesnt mean my breasts were down to my belly button !! They measure how far your nipple is in relation to the crease of your breast. if it is far below the crease they suggest a lift for sure. If it is on or above, it isnt necessary. I was borderline even with losing 75 pounds! so My surgeon said i could do a lift or implants or both. I just decided a lift and implant was what I wanted..So my point was just that people think a lift is better than implants however the risks are far more serious during the surgery and recovery. But yes the long term risks of implants may be harmful too. As for implant rupture , i have saline implants since it is filled with sterile water. if it pops, the water absorbs into my body and isnt a risk. Just another thing to consider ! Also your implants actually come with a serial number and warranty if they rupture for a certain time period . . thought that was funny -_-
    sorry for any misunderstandings !
    :)
  • mrsrobb125
    mrsrobb125 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am an A cup and I just scheduled to get breast augmentation surgery in December. I'm looking forward to it but also nervous. I'm really short, 5 ft 2 and I have a ton of muscle everywhere. I am trying to tone my arms and stomach, isn't everyone. I look really bulky and my smaller breasts have always made me feel more manly than feminine. I'm really excited for my surgery because when trying on the sample implants with a bra, I looked so much more feminine. I know that with these implants my confidence in being a woman will go up. If anyone can please tell me more about the recovery process that would be great!
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    Well, I would say that if you are finished having children, then do what makes you happy.
    However, if you are not finished having children, or are even remotely interested in having children, I would urge you to wait or to carefully consider all of your options. Even the "breastfeeding safe" procedures can occasionally hinder breastfeeding by causing damage to the nerves or the milk ducts. While many women are able to successfully breastfeed after breast surgery (lift, reduction, or augmentation) other women have damage done to the tissue that makes breastfeeding difficult or impossible. If breastfeeding is important to you, you may wish to postpone the procedure for a few years.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    NO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • lostdogg
    lostdogg Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    If it's for you, and you do your research and make the decision based on what you feel is best, I'd say go for it!

Quoted for truth

If it's for you of course. Many of us have things we want to change. That's something you have the power to do.
  • DragonSquatter
    DragonSquatter Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    I've considered having a lift or a reduction but I want to see if I lose anymore there first, so I'm going to wait until I'm at or close to my goal size.

It's a personal decision and entirely up to you. As long as you're happy with your decision, then go for it.