Are "diet" sodas really bad

Options

Replies

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I'm 5'8, 130 lbs and drink diet soda every day. I have never been overweight in my life
  • lynnstrick01
    lynnstrick01 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    d_thomas02 wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Even giving her that it has nothing to do with diet soda being good or bad

No argument from me there, but also no reason to go into a feeding frenzy over the slip.

a little off topic but did you ever notice how in a lot of these forums somebody makes one slip or says one thing wrong .. or not even wrong, just mis worded.. everybody goes for the jugular. then every comment that person makes after.. gets attacked.

not his one it has been pretty tame but boy (some of the others)
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    I'm relatively fit and don't drink regularly drink soda, whether it be diet or regular. I also know plenty of people who are fit and don't drink soda. It appears that there isn't really much of a correlation though, at least when it comes to people on MFP.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Even giving her that it has nothing to do with diet soda being good or bad

No argument from me there, but also no reason to go into a feeding frenzy over the slip.

I believe the issue is that posters belief that it somehow makes diet soda bad
  • d_thomas02
    d_thomas02 Posts: 9,048 Member
    Options
    a little off topic but did you ever notice how in a lot of these forums somebody makes one slip or says one thing wrong .. or not even wrong, just mis worded.. everybody goes for the jugular. then every comment that person makes after.. gets attacked.

not his one it has been pretty tame but boy (some of the others)

I'm not very religious, but all I can say to that is "Amen, sister. Amen."
  • d_thomas02
    Options

All I got out of that post was that she thought regular soda was heavier. I saw nothing to indicate an opinion one way or the other, good vs. bad. Just heavier.
  • ndj1979
    Options

All I got out of that post was that she thought regular soda was heavier. I saw nothing to indicate an opinion one way or the other, good vs. bad. Just heavier.

I believe the they contain sugar thus heavier is the evidence that you are looking for..
  • d_thomas02
    edited January 2016
    Options

I believe the they contain sugar thus heavier is the evidence that you are looking for..

Evidence of what? Heavy sodas are bad? So by that thinking a protein bar, which is heavier than popcorn, is bad?

Not following your thinking, dude.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,400 MFP Moderator
    Options
    When I was pre-diabetic and over 200 pounds, about to be on meds, I went on a diet to lose the weight. No more threat of diabetes, no eating crap and insane portions, lost 70 pounds. And it was with a diet soda every day. I don't think it's the worst of the worst.

That is awesome. Congrats on your success.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I have lost over eighty five pounds, my metabolic issue (T2 diabetes) is in remission, and I drank diet sodas throughout.

Diet Pepsi makes me happy. Also a few other things like running, stargazing, massages, and drawing. I'm not giving up anything that makes me happy.

Stress will kill you.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Oh, as for the armchair critics convinced that diet sodas are "bad for you", ignore them.
  • ndj1979
    Options

Evidence of what? Heavy sodas are bad? So by that thinking a protein bar, which is heavier than popcorn, is bad?

Not following your thinking, dude.

The qualifier would be sugar....if you can't see that then no need to discuss further, dude
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    The only really bad thing about diet soda is that it's not free. They should fix that
  • CuracaoRunner
    CuracaoRunner Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I think it's more the sodium than it is the artifical sweetner. The salt will make you retain more water as opposed to flushing it out with more water.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    I think it's more the sodium than it is the artifical sweetner. The salt will make you retain more water as opposed to flushing it out with more water.

There's no more sodium in diet soda than in tap water.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Personally I'm erring on the side of caution and avoiding artificial sweeteners as much as I possibly can. Especially so, because people defend their decision to drink this stuff like they are arguing against selling their first born child.
    If there was indeed such a thing as food addiction, from what I've read on here diet soda would rank highly on the list..

ETA: I've never drunk a diet soda in my life, not once. Which could be why I'm having problems understanding some peoples tight grip on this substance.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Personally I'm erring on the side of caution and avoiding artificial sweeteners as much as I possibly can. Especially so, because people defend their decision to drink this stuff like they are arguing against selling their first born child.
    If there was indeed such a thing as food addiction, from what I've read on here diet soda would rank highly on the list..

ETA: I've never drunk a diet soda in my life, not once. Which could be why I'm having problems understanding some peoples tight grip on this substance.

Addiction? Substance? What on earth are you going on about?
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Could it be the chemicals cause the addiction? Not the artificial sweeteners? I wonder. I know people that cannot go without.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    The only really bad thing about diet soda is that it's not free. They should fix that
    That and the Diet Pepsi formula change.

• beatyfamily1
    beatyfamily1 Posts: 257 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I'm not saying heavy soda is bad. It's up to everyone to decide for themselves, but if you read the label it says sugars or sweeteners as one of the listed ingredients below the label. Just because it doesn't say a percentage value on it for sugar doesn't mean its not in there. Read the whole label.