Are "diet" sodas really bad

Options

Replies

• d_thomas02
    d_thomas02 Posts: 9,049 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I have.

The labels tells you, under Total Carbohydrates, exactly how much sugar is in each product. In the case of non-diet sodas, a 12oz serving contain in the ballpark of 40 grams of sugar (each brand differs slightly).
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Personally I'm erring on the side of caution and avoiding artificial sweeteners as much as I possibly can. Especially so, because people defend their decision to drink this stuff like they are arguing against selling their first born child.
    If there was indeed such a thing as food addiction, from what I've read on here diet soda would rank highly on the list..

ETA: I've never drunk a diet soda in my life, not once. Which could be why I'm having problems understanding some peoples tight grip on this substance.

Your lack of logic is quite mind boggling these days. Not sure what happened to the old Christine, but when you find her, send her back.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    Personally I'm erring on the side of caution and avoiding artificial sweeteners as much as I possibly can. Especially so, because people defend their decision to drink this stuff like they are arguing against selling their first born child.
    If there was indeed such a thing as food addiction, from what I've read on here diet soda would rank highly on the list..

ETA: I've never drunk a diet soda in my life, not once. Which could be why I'm having problems understanding some peoples tight grip on this substance.

Addiction? Substance? What on earth are you going on about?

Heh.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I'm not saying heavy soda is bad. It's up to everyone to decide for themselves, but if you read the label it says sugars or sweeteners as one of the listed ingredients below the label. Just because it doesn't say a percentage value on it for sugar doesn't mean its not in there. Read the whole label.

Are you claiming sugar is in diet soda? It seems like you are, but that makes no sense, so I figured I'd ask.

(For the record, I don't avoid sugar, so as long as the calories are correct I don't care, and I drink Diet Coke, so that's the diet soda whose label I am familiar with.)
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

Your lack of logic is quite mind boggling these days. Not sure what happened to the old Christine, but when you find her, send her back.
    This^^. Come back to us Christine. <3
  • lotusmoonrise
    lotusmoonrise Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    eewww.
  • Hornsby
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I'm not saying heavy soda is bad. It's up to everyone to decide for themselves, but if you read the label it says sugars or sweeteners as one of the listed ingredients below the label. Just because it doesn't say a percentage value on it for sugar doesn't mean its not in there. Read the whole label.

If you are saying that sugar is in diet soda, you are completely wrong.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Aawww you guys are making me feel bad! :disappointed:

Honestly I've never been a fan of Aspartame, way before I joined this site, just my personal preference is all. It doesn't mean that I think less of the people who do drink/eat it.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    As a T2 diabetic in remission after significant weight loss I have been reading labels for carbs/sugar for a long time. Over a decade. Diet sodas do not contain sugar. They are dressed-up water just like tea.

Artificial sweeteners are helpful for T2 diabetics as they can enjoy sweetness once in a while without worrying about sugar.
  • Hornsby
    Options

Honestly I've never been a fan of Aspartame, way before I joined this site, just my personal preference is all. It doesn't mean that I think less of the people who do drink/eat it.

Yea, but your posts always have a passive aggressive, troll like vibe about them now. I don't get it. They usually don't have much logical backing behind them any more. They just kinda troll... It sucks. I used to like reading your posts but it seems you are either the first person on these boards to actually lose knowledge while reading them or have decided to passive aggressively troll certain members. Not sure which it is at this point. And I am speaking with the upmost respect. Maybe a pm would be better if the conversation continues.
  • Christine_72
    Options

Yea, but your posts always have a passive aggressive, troll like vibe about them now. I don't get it. They usually don't have much logical backing behind them any more. They just kinda troll... It sucks. I used to like reading your posts but it seems you are either the first person on these boards to actually lose knowledge while reading them or have decided to passive aggressively troll certain members. Not sure which it is at this point. And I am speaking with the upmost respect. Maybe a pm would be better if the conversation continues.

Your concern is noted, and I appreciate your honesty.

In all fairness I have seen many members labelled as a troll If they have a different opinion or don't agree with the majority.
    Trolls love conflict, something I most definitely do not set out to create. Arguing and debating don't interest me either.
  • Christine_72
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Oh and I can promise you that I have No issue with any members here, not a one. Yes, there some who's delivery is slightly annoying, but I stay far away from them and don't engage at all.
  • Hornsby
    Options
    Especially so, because people defend their decision to drink this stuff like they are arguing against selling their first born child.

I'll just leave this here. Has zero to do with what anyone agrees with.
  • 20months
    20months Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    wight loss is about calorie deficit and has nothing to with diet soda. So yes you can drink diet soda and lose weight, and as long as you are getting adequate nutrition then there is nothing bad about it.

This!!
  • kmeadows225
    kmeadows225 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    It won't add to your daily amount of calories no, but it's really just made up a bunch of chemicals. Quitting soda can definitely be a challenge, I recently went from drinking soda at least once a day to nothing at all , and it's been about a month. The first couple days were somewhat difficult, because I was definitely craving the sugar and caffeine, but now I feel absolutely great!
  • Christine_72
    Options
    Especially so, because people defend their decision to drink this stuff like they are arguing against selling their first born child.

I said that because these threads always get so out of control and sometimes plain nasty. I usually stay out of them because I know my "opinion" on the matter is frowned upon.
    I guess I don't understand why people get so bent out of shape on this one topic. If someone chooses not to consume aspartame it doesn't make them an evil stupid person, just like it doesn't for the people who do have it.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I'll say something with my experience. I use to work for Coca-Cola. When I pulled pallets of diets or zeros it was always heavier than the regular sodas because of all the sugar that's in them.

Which one is heavier? Regular Coke sinks in water but diet Coke floats. Not sure it's a weight thing though.

Concrete proof that Diet Coke is bad.

Diet Coke floats in water, so it weighs the same as a duck, so it's made of wood, and therefore

A WITCH!!!!!
  • Hornsby
    Options

I said that because these threads always get so out of control and sometimes plain nasty. I usually stay out of them because I know my "opinion" on the matter is frowned upon.
    I guess I don't understand why people get so bent out of shape on this one topic. If someone chooses not to consume aspartame it doesn't make them an evil stupid person, just like it doesn't for the people who do have it.

Because it's a discussion and there are wrong and right answers. But bringing addiction into it is obviously a bating tactic. No other need for the comment. It's simply to bate the people defending diet soda. Who cares that science is on their side?

Also, this thread is about diet soda and their deadly chemicals. Aspartame doesn't apply to all.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options

The issue comes when people state their opinion as fact. Personal choice isnt the cause for arguments.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

I don't see that most people are getting bent out of shape about people who choose not to drink soda. What people are taking exception to is when others come in and start spouting junk science and nonsense about it being "poison", high in sodium, makes you gain weight/crave sugar, etc., when there's plenty of clear science to the contrary.