But what did you really do to lose weight?

Options

Replies

• nadler64
    nadler64 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Negative_X wrote: »
    Ate less, moved more. Tracked every calorie going in and all my workouts. Cut out junk food, sweets and most processed crap. Initiated a total life style overhaul/change.

This. No point in losing the weight if one is going to go back to old habits and gain it all back...and then some.

Two sayings I kept posted by my desk to remind me that weight loss and fitness are long-term goals and processes:

1. It's a marathon, not a sprint.
    2. The 80/20 rule applies: 20% exercise and 80% nutrition. You can't outrun your fork. (Meaning, unless you are an elite or professional athlete, you almost certainly can't burn enough calories to make up for the extra you're eating.)
  • brittyn3
    brittyn3 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    nadler64 wrote: »
    Ate less, moved more. Tracked every calorie going in and all my workouts. Cut out junk food, sweets and most processed crap. Initiated a total life style overhaul/change.

This. No point in losing the weight if one is going to go back to old habits and gain it all back...and then some.

Two sayings I kept posted by my desk to remind me that weight loss and fitness are long-term goals and processes:

2. The 80/20 rule applies: 20% exercise and 80% nutrition. You can't outrun your fork. (Meaning, unless you are an elite or professional athlete, you almost certainly can't burn enough calories to make up for the extra you're eating.)

^this!! That's why most fad diets fail, sure you lost the weight, but you didn't teach yourself healthier habits. I like that, you can't out run your fork... so true!
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    nadler64 wrote: »

I read today where some experts say, it is actually 80% diet, 10% exercise, and 10% genetics. The sad statistic is over 80% of the people that lose the weight, gain it all back and some gain even more. Very few people actually keep it off more than 5 years. I am into my 3rd year of maintenance and hoping that I will be able to keep it off.
  • brittyn3
    brittyn3 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    BuddhaB0y wrote: »
    I'm learning to live with the hunger and listen to my body more.

I'm so happy for you! This kind of changes have been really difficult for me too, I'm learning to take it one day at a time.

Yes! I can't eat nearly the same amount that I used to. I just ordered a calzone today (planning on a super light dinner) and I was full after half of it. I went on to eat 3/4 of it, just for good measure, but back in the day I could down the entire thing. It's obvious to stop eating when you are full, but I trained my brain to finish my meal in the past. I should like to add more to what I did... I eat slower and drink a lot of water during my meal. I definitely eat a lot less or am satisfied over a smaller meal.
  • mgodfrey0202
    mgodfrey0202 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    daross16 wrote: »
    CICO
    check in check out...or Chongqing International Construction Corporation?

Where did you even find that company anyway? LOL
  • tasaiar1
    tasaiar1 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I tracked every calorie I ate even if it meant that I went way over my day limit it just motivated me to decrease the red negative Nymet for the next day.

I have double pram with two babies weighing around 20kg together plus pram that's 35kg i walk around 2 hours a day pushing that thing around. I walk to take my daughter to pre school and to get my grocery shopping i do a little shopping everyday as my pram doesn't fit etc.

That's all i did :)
    The days I knew I was going to eat over my calories I'd do a workout video in the morning from youtube. Usually kick boxing workout or zumba.
    Hope this helps.
  • tasaiar1
    tasaiar1 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Oh I've lost 8kg so far
  • Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I knew I would not lose weight unless I was honest with myself. I'm not a runner or a weight-lifter. I'm a walker that likes to eat good food. Thus, my goal was to be at a Healthy BMI and at a long-term sustainable weight without feeling deprived. I used the Guided Setup, entered accurate information, set it to lose 1 lb. a week, and tracked semi-religiously for about a year. At maintenance, I set my profile to lose .5 lbs. a week, track roughly every day, and track more rigorously if I start seeing any inching up on the scale.

The top reasons I lost weight and have continued to maintain are:

1) Finding an easy, repeatable protein-packed lunch that kept me satiated and allows me more calories at dinner.
    2) Weighing myself EVERY DARN DAY.
    3) Eating breakfast EVERY DARN DAY.
    4) Walking more & taking the stairs.
    5) Limiting alcoholic drinks to the weekend. :wink:
    6) Understanding that one day of OMG-calories is not the end of the world.
    7) Eating smaller quantities of high quality, super-tasty foods. Not wasting precious calories on poor quality junk food. :open_mouth:
    8) Creating easy, repeatable Meals with lower calories that I actually like to eat!
    9) Realizing that feeling HUNGRY is OK, especially before bed. If I'm hungry when I wake up, I know I'm on track.
    10) Drinking herbal teas instead of snacking.

To use MyFitnessPal to track calories in/out, click Goals > Change Goals > View Guided Setup, enter accurate information and realistic goal weight, and click Update Profile. GOOD LUCK!

Direct Link: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change_goals_guided
    BMI Calculator: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/tools/bmi-calculator
    BMR Calculator: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/tools/bmr-calculator

19507081.png
  • Aemely
    Options
    I suppose a better question is, how many calories do you tend to stick around and what do you normally eat (I understand everyone is different. I'm just curious. I understand the in and out thing )

I started at 1290 calories in 2014 based on MFP's guidelines for my height and weight. I fluctuated around that number based on how much exercise I did that day, as I eat back some of my calories burned (I found this motivational!). When I got to goal weight in 2015, I shifted to .5 lbs./week, and I'm at 1350. I lost very slowly because I knew that would be the only way I personally could achieve and maintain my goal.
  • Aemely
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    What did you REALLY do to lose weight?

I ate fewer calories than I burned. CI<CO.

Simple as that ... nothing complicated about it.

Yeah... It wasn't terribly simple for me. It took a period of experimentation to find lower calorie lunch foods that would keep me satiated at work and not have me feeling woozy and starving by 3pm. I need to be clear-headed all day long, and it took me a while to realize that protein is the key. Once I got my "go-to" repeatable meals identified, only then did it become MUCH EASIER.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    Let's see. 73 lbs in the last 10 months. For me I pre-log a week in advance, although I do make slight tweaks and changes as the week progresses. I exercise 6 days a week at minimum. This includes 3-4 days per week of kickboxing (real kickboxing with gloves and bags) and 2-3 days of weight training. I currently average about 1500-1600 calories per day. I am about 25 lbs away from goal. The most important things I've done to be successful are, not putting myself on a timeline and taking a break to maintain. I take a break every 12 weeks and work on eating at maintenance for no more than two weeks. I do this for the mental break it gives me and also to practice for when I do finally hit maintenance. Because I've managed to do this, I have a lot of confidence that I won't return to old habits when I reach goal.
    Ooh. If I didn't have to sell my soul to get a gym membership, I would do kickboxing. Sounds fun.

Um...what?

Planet Fitness is $10/month. There are lots of options out there if you want to find them.

Here is the deep, dark secret that nobody will tell you: stop making excuses, stop being silly, do the work and MOVE your body.
  • Aemely
    Options
    Let's see. 73 lbs in the last 10 months. For me I pre-log a week in advance, although I do make slight tweaks and changes as the week progresses. I exercise 6 days a week at minimum. This includes 3-4 days per week of kickboxing (real kickboxing with gloves and bags) and 2-3 days of weight training. I currently average about 1500-1600 calories per day. I am about 25 lbs away from goal. The most important things I've done to be successful are, not putting myself on a timeline and taking a break to maintain. I take a break every 12 weeks and work on eating at maintenance for no more than two weeks. I do this for the mental break it gives me and also to practice for when I do finally hit maintenance. Because I've managed to do this, I have a lot of confidence that I won't return to old habits when I reach goal.
    Ooh. If I didn't have to sell my soul to get a gym membership, I would do kickboxing. Sounds fun.

Um...what?

Planet Fitness is $10/month. There are lots of options out there if you want to find them.

Here is the deep, dark secret that nobody will tell you: stop making excuses, stop being silly, do the work and MOVE your body.

Lots of smallish or rural towns don't have a affordable private club options (if they have any at all!), but YMCA or a local university might be available?
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    The sad statistic is over 80% of the people that lose the weight, gain it all back and some gain even more. Very few people actually keep it off more than 5 years. I am into my 3rd year of maintenance and hoping that I will be able to keep it off.

Take a look at the National Weight Loss Registry. They track the people who do succeed. Many if not most of those who put the weight back on do so because they return to the habits that led them to gain weight in the first place. Those who are successful retain some of the habits that helped them lose weight.

What I find particularly interesting is that 90% of participants in the Registry exercise, on average, an hour a day. Alex Hutchinson had a recent piece in his Sweat Science blog about a 1956 study of Indian jute factory workers that found that those who were moderately or heavily active tended to eat what they needed to sustain their activity, while those who were sedentary tended to eat more than they needed.
    Aemely wrote: »
    [Yeah... It wasn't terribly simple for me.

Simple doesn't mean easy, though! Congratulations on finding something that worked for you. In my case, it was helpful to learn that if I eat a bowl of cereal with milk (300 calories) for breakfast, I'm hungry again by 10, while a slice of buttered toast (150 calories) keeps me sated until lunchtime.
  • KickboxDiva
    KickboxDiva Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    There is no ONE answer. I've spent a lifetime chasing that miracle answer. I've lost a lot of fat and put on pounds of muscle in 2 years. (After being a lifetime dieter) There are 3 main componets to successful fatloss. Input/Output/Rest. The ratio will be different for each person and will not stay the same as your body changes. If you ate 2500 calories a day eating any type of food and your weight was staying the same then 2500 is your Maintenace calorie input. If you burned 250 calories a day by working out and shaved off 250 calories a day on your input you'd lose about a pound a week. But soon your body, being the miracle machine it is, adapts and what you are doing is the new normal and you maintain at that. So then you shave off another 250 calories and work out to 500 calories. The scale moves again and after a while your body adapts. This can go on a while until you get to an input/output ratio that is no longer sustainable. Too low calories, too much output = stress, hormonal imbalance, disturbed sleep ect. So the trick it to keep the diet in short period; Like 8-12 weeks with a planned time to slowly reverse and build back to a higher maintencne calorie level. The PROBLEM is that most diets go all or nothing. People go from 2500 calorie lifestyle right to 1200 with lots of output. They lose at first but once the metabolism down regulates and the low calorie/ high optput becomes the bodys maintenance point is right about when people get frustrated and either stay at that level wondering why they aren't losing any more or give up. The bad news now is that the body sees that new calorie level and activity level as maintenance and if they go cold turkey off that lifestyle then they are prime for a huge rebound gain. Not to mention if they dieted alone or dieted with cardio only and didn't lift weights and support muscle with proper food then a lot of that scale weight lost was muscle. Resulting in faster rebound gains and a person wondering if they are doomed to always be a yo you dieter and over fat. I've studied this every day for nearly 2 years now and at 44 years old I sure wish I had known it earlier. All the diet plans, and magazines are selling diets and no one tells you the truth but that's it. That said- I need to know exactly what I am eating to control that "wave" of calories and I weigh and track everything using a digital food scale and try to limit eating out and alcohol. I use guidelines for macros, not just calories and lift weights about an hour 4 times per week. (keeping my heart rate up to a high level by different methods like cardio moves inbetween) and I wear a fitbit HR and try to hit 10K steps minimum on non workout days. I run but not much, a few miles once per week for heart health or as a warm up a mile. I cook at home as much as possible and frequently "meal prep" for days in advance so I have something acceptable to eat in a hurry. Hope you find the answer that works for you earlier than I did!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,853 Member
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    JaneiR36 wrote: »

Amazing

Not really ... it's just logical. :)

Well, I for one have always found the details of your "CO" very exciting!

The cycling? :grin:

Heck yeah!!!

Well ... I do enjoy it! :)

I've also been doing it a long time.

• Machka9
    Options
    I suppose a better question is, how many calories do you tend to stick around and what do you normally eat (I understand everyone is different. I'm just curious. I understand the in and out thing )

One of the things I did when I started here was to spend several days thoroughly browsing through my local grocery stores to see what they actually had.

I've got several grocery stores and markets within walking distance of where I work, so I'd go there at lunch and roam the aisles, picking up stuff and reading labels.

Doing that enabled me to find a nice variety of good tasting, low calorie food.

As for my how many calories ... I used MFP for that.

I put my details into MFP, selected how much I wanted to lose each week, and MFP gave me a number.

Have you done that yet?

• christierenea
    christierenea Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I lost 45 pounds just by changing my eating and working out more. Its a complete lifestyle change not a diet or that's how I see it. I'd say lower the calorie input and try to exercise for a the least a minimal of 30 minutes a day every day.
  • Machka9
    Options
    Aemely wrote: »

Yeah... It wasn't terribly simple for me. It took a period of experimentation to find lower calorie lunch foods that would keep me satiated at work and not have me feeling woozy and starving by 3pm. I need to be clear-headed all day long, and it took me a while to realize that protein is the key. Once I got my "go-to" repeatable meals identified, only then did it become MUCH EASIER.

I was already eating within my calorie limit, or very close to it, right up till I got home from work. I didn't change much of anything between the time I got up in the morning until 6 pm. But there were a few minor tweaks during the first 3 weeks or so. That's when I discovered that cashews and pears are just not worth it.

It was my post 6 pm diet that went through the bigger change. But again, it took about 3 weeks to discover what was available in grocery stores and markets and to make the changes.

• jessicarobinson00
    jessicarobinson00 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    VERY SPECIFICALLY: I started at 174. If I remember right I tried to eat at the recommended 1200 calorie goal MFP set for me and failed: it was too drastic. So I refocused and decided that I was ok with not reaching my goals as fast as I would like and shot for 1350-1400 calories. This worked for me. After I was able to eat within those calories, I started incorporating 30 minutes of gym time 3 times a week. I told myself that as long as I went for 30 minutes...it was ok if I chose to sit on the floor and stretch as long as I went. Needless to say: once I was there, I ended up trying to make it worth my time and I NEVER spent 30 minutes stretching on the floor. Eventually I enjoyed how good I felt after working out! I hit maintenance in October and figure my calories with consistent exercise were about 1900-2000. Recently I have realigned my goals and have decided on a few more lbs weight loss..thus the calorie drop again. I don't eat "clean," nothing is off limits, and I love McDonalds. I know if I choose to eat there I need to bank more calories and I will probably be hungry before my next meal...so it's all about choices and deciding what's worth it and what's not.
    Thanks for sharing! Do you tend to mix up during your work outs? Are you one of those people who have "leg day" or do you feel comfortable with sticking to one type of exercise?

I don't do specific workouts..I try to have a limited game plan when I get there so that I don't waste time and because I have 3 kids to get home to, but I mainly stick to body weight exercises: pushups, pull ups, sit ups, squats. When I was in maintenance I worked more with adding weights...now that I have another 5 lb loss in mind, I do the elliptical/biking. I try to stay away from any of the weight machines, but if the free weights are being hounded..I do occasionally hit them.
  • juelz915
    juelz915 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I started to really get the results I wanted once I figured out my macros! (Diet is key) I use MFP to log my meals. I lift heavy in the gym and do cardio at least 3 days a week. I find if I need to lean out quickly I will do fasted HIIT cardio for 30 minutes a couple days a week. It works if you do it right!!