But what did you really do to lose weight?

Options
15678911»

Replies

• Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    daross16 wrote: »
    Let's see. 73 lbs in the last 10 months. For me I pre-log a week in advance, although I do make slight tweaks and changes as the week progresses. I exercise 6 days a week at minimum. This includes 3-4 days per week of kickboxing (real kickboxing with gloves and bags) and 2-3 days of weight training. I currently average about 1500-1600 calories per day. I am about 25 lbs away from goal. The most important things I've done to be successful are, not putting myself on a timeline and taking a break to maintain. I take a break every 12 weeks and work on eating at maintenance for no more than two weeks. I do this for the mental break it gives me and also to practice for when I do finally hit maintenance. Because I've managed to do this, I have a lot of confidence that I won't return to old habits when I reach goal.
    Ooh. If I didn't have to sell my soul to get a gym membership, I would do kickboxing. Sounds fun.

Um...what?

Planet Fitness is $10/month. There are lots of options out there if you want to find them.

Here is the deep, dark secret that nobody will tell you: stop making excuses, stop being silly, do the work and MOVE your body.

This isn't actually an option for everyone.
    My in-laws, for instance, live about an hour from the nearest Planet Fitness.
  • happymom221
    happymom221 Posts: 73 Member
    Options

Cook and eat at home most of the time
    Eat healthy most of the time
    Immediately Get back on track ALL THE TIME!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,100 Member
    Options
    Aemely wrote: »
    Let's see. 73 lbs in the last 10 months. For me I pre-log a week in advance, although I do make slight tweaks and changes as the week progresses. I exercise 6 days a week at minimum. This includes 3-4 days per week of kickboxing (real kickboxing with gloves and bags) and 2-3 days of weight training. I currently average about 1500-1600 calories per day. I am about 25 lbs away from goal. The most important things I've done to be successful are, not putting myself on a timeline and taking a break to maintain. I take a break every 12 weeks and work on eating at maintenance for no more than two weeks. I do this for the mental break it gives me and also to practice for when I do finally hit maintenance. Because I've managed to do this, I have a lot of confidence that I won't return to old habits when I reach goal.
    Ooh. If I didn't have to sell my soul to get a gym membership, I would do kickboxing. Sounds fun.

Um...what?

Planet Fitness is $10/month. There are lots of options out there if you want to find them.

Here is the deep, dark secret that nobody will tell you: stop making excuses, stop being silly, do the work and MOVE your body.

Lots of smallish or rural towns don't have a affordable private club options (if they have any at all!), but YMCA or a local university might be available?

Yup. And I hate to say it, but the Y is not necessarily inexpensive. In my area, it's substantially more expensive than the mass-market commercial places. The local Y is around $50 a month individual membership - I'm a member because I like it, but it's not cheap. And this is a mid-sized, midwestern US city, not New York or LA. They do offer a lot of scholarships to low-income folks, though (one reason I like it). I've even known of the big, expensive local private health club to give low-income people free membership under special circumstances, for that matter.
  • 20months
    20months Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    What did you REALLY do to lose weight?

I ate fewer calories than I burned. CI<CO.

Simple as that ... nothing complicated about it.

This exactly!
  • Eddie__Jones
    Eddie__Jones Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    1. Bought a digital food scale and measuring cups.
    2. Weigh, measure and log every single thing I eat.
    3. Found out my TDEE. Eat 20% fewer calories than that number everyday.

68892776.png
  • jnunez1963
    jnunez1963 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    CICO is most of it honestly. But, to be more detailed, measuring out my food, getting "back to" having meals, instead of grabbing a muffin, or a bag of chips. Reading about nutrition, I attended a six week class offered at Kaiser with a registered dietician that helped.

Journaling. Writing down every single thing that went in my mouth, even if it wound up being 3000 calories, then starting right back on track the next morning.

I started walking, just outside at first, wearing a fitbit, and when that broke, just a little clip on pedometer. When I started, I found it hard to get 2k steps a day. Worked up to 10k a day which took months. Got a treadmill. Still got my 10k but then added walking on the treadmill while watching my favorite programs. Then I got some hand weights, and a video of arm and ab exercises. Started with 3 lbs, do 5 lbs now. Watched more videos, started leg lifts, and some fanny work, bridges, tilts with a weight on my pelvis.

I think the most definitive thing was a conversation I had with a friend who is not overweight. I found that I tended to save calories, for cravings, than eating nutritionally. When she said she was going by subway, I exclaimed eww for one sandwich you could have a slice of chocolate cake and a scoop of ice cream, to which she replied yes, but the sandwich will be good for me. It really made me rethink my priority when it came to food overall.

Not that I don't indulge occasionally, nor do I think you shouldn't, I just realized that I didn't give my nutritional needs equal importance.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options

Um...what?

Lots of smallish or rural towns don't have a affordable private club options (if they have any at all!), but YMCA or a local university might be available?

Sure...but the OP is in San Francisco and appears to be college-aged. I would guess that she probably has about 20 options for affordable gym access.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,849 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »

Um...what?

This isn't actually an option for everyone.
    My in-laws, for instance, live about an hour from the nearest Planet Fitness.

Yeah, my closest Planet Fitness is 1570 km away. Little bit inconvenient. Plus there's a $50 joining fee and then it is $10/week (not month) after that. Total: $570/year plus several other small fees.

The Anytime Fitness and Zap are quite similar. I've considered them, but rejected both because I didn't feel comfortable.

My best option, the one I feel most comfortable at, is about $82/month. My husband and I had a 1-year membership there (just shy of $2000), but then my husband and I decided we could probably buy fitness equipment and set up a home gym for that kind of money ... which is what we did.

That, and we do most of our exercising outside or with whatever's available. For example, I've been climbing 40 flights of stairs each work day for a while now (up to my office several times a day). That's been helpful for building the leg muscles.

• PamOliva
    PamOliva Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    My best tips came from eating only 3 times a day, portion control and not snacking. I also cut way back on alcohol. And I went from zero activity to about 4 workouts a week. I got used to going to sleep hungry sometimes. That brought me to goal in about 10 months. In maintenance I still essentially follow these "rules" tho my workouts are not as long or intense as they were for weight loss. I just try to keep moving. I still eat only 3 times a day.
  • daross16
    daross16 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I have no specifics or diet plan. I just ate less and moved more than I used to.

I see a lot of people say "move more" but that could mean

Um...what?

You're assuming I have a planet fitness nearby. Anyways, I've just been using the school track and working out at home. There is a pathetic fitness center in my apartment, but it's a gym. So I'll take it. And I'm going to try to see if I can go to the free group fitness stuff offered at school once the semester starts.
  • daross16
    Options

Um...what?

I actually live in a pretty dense city, just a really really really really really really really really really really really expensive city. Planet fitness is like an hour bus ride.
  • daross16
    Options
    There is no ONE answer. I've spent a lifetime chasing that miracle answer. I've lost a lot of fat and put on pounds of muscle in 2 years. (After being a lifetime dieter) There are 3 main componets to successful fatloss. Input/Output/Rest. The ratio will be different for each person and will not stay the same as your body changes. If you ate 2500 calories a day eating any type of food and your weight was staying the same then 2500 is your Maintenace calorie input. If you burned 250 calories a day by working out and shaved off 250 calories a day on your input you'd lose about a pound a week. But soon your body, being the miracle machine it is, adapts and what you are doing is the new normal and you maintain at that. So then you shave off another 250 calories and work out to 500 calories. The scale moves again and after a while your body adapts. This can go on a while until you get to an input/output ratio that is no longer sustainable. Too low calories, too much output = stress, hormonal imbalance, disturbed sleep ect. So the trick it to keep the diet in short period; Like 8-12 weeks with a planned time to slowly reverse and build back to a higher maintencne calorie level. The PROBLEM is that most diets go all or nothing. People go from 2500 calorie lifestyle right to 1200 with lots of output. They lose at first but once the metabolism down regulates and the low calorie/ high optput becomes the bodys maintenance point is right about when people get frustrated and either stay at that level wondering why they aren't losing any more or give up. The bad news now is that the body sees that new calorie level and activity level as maintenance and if they go cold turkey off that lifestyle then they are prime for a huge rebound gain. Not to mention if they dieted alone or dieted with cardio only and didn't lift weights and support muscle with proper food then a lot of that scale weight lost was muscle. Resulting in faster rebound gains and a person wondering if they are doomed to always be a yo you dieter and over fat. I've studied this every day for nearly 2 years now and at 44 years old I sure wish I had known it earlier. All the diet plans, and magazines are selling diets and no one tells you the truth but that's it. That said- I need to know exactly what I am eating to control that "wave" of calories and I weigh and track everything using a digital food scale and try to limit eating out and alcohol. I use guidelines for macros, not just calories and lift weights about an hour 4 times per week. (keeping my heart rate up to a high level by different methods like cardio moves inbetween) and I wear a fitbit HR and try to hit 10K steps minimum on non workout days. I run but not much, a few miles once per week for heart health or as a warm up a mile. I cook at home as much as possible and frequently "meal prep" for days in advance so I have something acceptable to eat in a hurry. Hope you find the answer that works for you earlier than I did!
    THIS is a different , yet scientific answer. Thanks! In conclusion, I'm going to morph into a cat because it seems less complicated than being human. Lol.
  • AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    This is best answered by women because men tend to lose weight differently.

Ha. Just eat less
  • daross16
    Options
    Let's see. 73 lbs in the last 10 months. For me I pre-log a

Um...what?

Sure...but the OP is in San Francisco and appears to be college-aged. I would guess that she probably has about 20 options for affordable gym access.

It costs like $4000 for a 2 bedroom apartment here. Grapes are $5 a pound. They charge you for plastic bags at the store. My roommate had a gym membership only because her mom would pay for it. Same girl has like two Michael Kors bags.
    I wish I had that kind of money.
  • daross16
    Options
    This is best answered by women because men tend to lose weight differently.

Ha. Just eat less

You know. I've never had success with just eating less unless I'm like deathly sick and I can't swallow anything anyways. So glad everyone can just eat less and be in good shape
    But I need to move around a lot. And one of my favorite things to do is sit in the dark with all the blinds closed and play video games and complain. But I'm forcing myself to walk around outside, go down to the gym, wall places instead of take the bus.
  • samgamgee
    samgamgee Posts: 398 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    The last ten months has been an interesting time. I've lost 20 lbs slowly but surely (half way to 120 lbs goal), and this is what has been working for me:

- weighing and logging food. There will be the odd takeaway which is difficult to quantify, but day in day out I weigh everything down to the ketchup on my plate and the milk in my tea.
    - I am least hungry and therefore most consistent (and active!) when I have my calories set to lose about 0.5 per week. I can do 1 lb a week but I'm less capable of coping with life!
    - not eating breakfast. I've never been a breakfast person and for me the calories are just not worth it.
    - eating a small afternoon snack, a huge dinner, and a small evening snack. I'm hungriest around the end of the day and love big dinners so it makes sense for me to survive on coffee and tea til 4pm hits! I always get hungry at night no matter what, so need to save a couple hundred calories for snacking around 10pm or I will be miserable.
    - snacking on cheese or meat keeps me a lot more satisfied than carby stuff.
    - to start with I was doing half an hour on the exercise bike most days to earn more calories, then I got my fitbit and made the effort to get my steps in, often walking around the house at night like a lunatic. Buying my treadmill was one of the best things I've ever done, and it's prompted me to start Couch to 5 K. Running hasn't particularly influenced my weight loss so far but my body does feel stronger, fitter and more toned, and I just love it.
    - Friday night is takeaway night! To start off with my partner & I had 'fat Friday' which would be a proper cheat day and we'd still lose as we were bigger, but now it's changed to just one excessive meal, possibly eating to maintenance. If I go over my calories with it a tad it's not the end of the world but you can get quite a lot of stuffed crust pizza and cheesy chips down you for 1850 calories! It cuts into my deficit a bit but it keeps me sane for the rest of the week.
    - working out extra to earn my alcohol calories. I have been known to walk on the treadmill in front of a film on telly, glass of wine in hand! I have also made the switch from red wine as my normal choice to sparkling wine as I enjoy it just as much and it has fewer calories.
    - I only eat what I love. Last night I sniffed a box of chocolate covered fudge and decided that a piece wasn't worth it, I'd rather have two Jacob's Cream Crackers for the same calorie amount.

That's basically it - I intend to do the same to lose this last 20 lbs this year and then continue beyond that eating this way but to maintenance for the foreseeable future after that. I think I've found a way of eating which is sustainable for my lifestyle, and am looking forward to being able to run a decent distance most days after I finish C25K.
  • carleyl1
    carleyl1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Ate less counted the calories I did consume and kept to the goal also started to change the type of food and kept to a regular eating pattern making sure I ate 3 times a day stopped me snacking on rubbish was a lifestyle change not a fad and over 3 years on haven't looked back x