Anyone done the Wild Rose Detox

Options

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    A few random thoughts.
    1. I have never done a "cleanse" except to prepare for a colonoscopy. I can't get that day back.
    2. Wild Rose brings to mind rose hips. Which is a North American fruit and in this part of the world, easily harvestable at any roadside ditch. So are North American fruits in or out?
    3. Rose hips are very high in vitamin C which might help the urine be more acidic and help prevent re-occurring UTI's.
    4. I won't even google Wild Rose Cleanse as I don't want the silly thing getting more attention than it deserves.
    5. Herbal remedies may be dangerous as they are unregulated and one just does not know how much of the active ingredients (if any) will be in the prescribed dose. Some herbal purgatives can be very powerful (translation:dangerous).
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    kmash32 wrote: »
    Thank you for your opinion but I didn't ask about whether anyone recommends doing a detox, I asked if anyone had tried a particular one.

I have a lot of medical issues and this doctor has been the only one that has gotten me healthy enough that I can workout everyday and have a lot of energy now. She also held my hand through my entire cancer ordeal so I think I will trust her opinion on detox's first.

She out right said not do do any of the one's you don't get to eat and you only drink certain things every day because she says those are unhealthy.

It doesn't matter about this particular one. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1159755/looking-for-a-detox-cleanse
  • MissusMoon
    Options
    UTIs are caused by bacteria and should be treated with antibiotics. Herbal substances are not regulated by the FDA, and can therefore be dangerous to take - especially if you have medical conditions requiring you to take certain prescription drugs.

I have done the antibiotic's, and it goes away but then comes back which is why she wants me to try taking some supplements and eliminating things from my diet and see if it helps.

A urinary tract infection is caused by bacteria that grows inside your urinary tract. There is no dietary cause. This is absolute hogwash. If you have chronic UTI issues it could be there is a slight prolapse that causes your bladder not to empty fully, it could be more simple and have to do with how bacteria enters your urethra.

You are getting absolutely DANGEROUS advice.
  • MissusMoon
    Options

I know there are naysayers on this thread, but I say do what feels right to you under your doctor's supervision. Kudos for asking around and doing your own research, too. :smile:

Do what feels right? Sorry, around here don't stand for unscientific woo and things that can be potentially dangerous.

• lichn
    lichn Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    MissusMoon wrote: »

An actual MD said this? I think I'd report them to the state licensing board.

Must I repeat myself? Why don't you take a cursory glance at the plan she's asking about before making such a dramatic judgement call? You'd report a doctor to the licensing board without any knowledge whatsoever about the details of their recommendation? Jesus. If you gotta be a snitch at least be an informed snitch.

• JaneSnowe
    JaneSnowe Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    UTIs are caused by bacteria and should be treated with antibiotics. Herbal substances are not regulated by the FDA, and can therefore be dangerous to take - especially if you have medical conditions requiring you to take certain prescription drugs.

I have done the antibiotic's, and it goes away but then comes back which is why she wants me to try taking some supplements and eliminating things from my diet and see if it helps.

A urinary tract infection is caused by bacteria that grows inside your urinary tract. There is no dietary cause. This is absolute hogwash. If you have chronic UTI issues it could be there is a slight prolapse that causes your bladder not to empty fully, it could be more simple and have to do with how bacteria enters your urethra.

You are getting absolutely DANGEROUS advice.

Second this. You can get septicemia from such an infection. It happened to a coworker of mine, otherwise healthy and in her 20s. She ended up in the hospital. Do not take chronic bacteria infections lightly.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    As for the UTI, I get one every time I have a spa! I refuse to use them anymore.
  • DeficitDuchess
    DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
    Options
    star1407 wrote: »
    She's recommending something which is outside the scope of her expertise. If I were you I'd be seeing an urologist

This ^^ Or a nutritionist...

No Dietitian & they're Dietitians that solely deal with cancer patients; they're known as Oncology Dietitians!
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    I've done the Wild Turkey detox.

Once.
    Ha!
    I've done similar 'detoxes', but I never, ever learn.
    ;)
    lichn wrote: »

An actual MD said this? I think I'd report them to the state licensing board.

Must I repeat myself? Why don't you take a cursory glance at the plan she's asking about before making such a dramatic judgement call? You'd report a doctor to the licensing board without any knowledge whatsoever about the details of their recommendation? Jesus. If you gotta be a snitch at least be an informed snitch.

Because detoxes are unnecessary pretty and expensive boxes of woo made up of herbs that make claims that don't deliver.... the body doesn't need to detox. She IS right. There is very dangerous information on here, and a detox won't help with her condition.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I haven't done that detox, but I have used many of Dr. Schulze's products. Especially for chronic UTIs, I've used his kidney/bladder drops and tea. You can look for his herbal formulas at herbdoc.com and decide for yourself.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Well... I'm not dead and I don't have chronic utis anymore...
    Like I said, make your own decision.
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't reccomend a full-scale detox for treating a UTI. You don't need the laxatives, and you don't need the cleansing herbs. Mostly, I'd just reccomend cranberry capsules (Cranberry + D-Manose would be better, if you can find them, although they're more pricey. Cranberry juice concentrate can also be used, but try to find it unsweetened), a good probiotic -- preferably one that is optimized for urinary tract issues, and a diuretic along with plenty of clear fluids. Uva Ursi, in particular, can soothe the lining of your urinary tract and can buffer the acidity of your urine slightly, which can help alleviate discomfort. Dandelion is another good diuretic, but I'd go for Uva Ursi instead in your case.

Lots of other fermented foods can help as well. Kombucha, yogurt, kefir, raw saurkraut, ect...
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't reccomend a full-scale detox for treating a UTI. You don't need the laxatives, and you don't need the cleansing herbs. Mostly, I'd just reccomend cranberry capsules (Cranberry + D-Manose would be better, if you can find them, although they're more pricey. Cranberry juice concentrate can also be used, but try to find it unsweetened), a good probiotic -- preferably one that is optimized for urinary tract issues, and a diuretic along with plenty of clear fluids. Uva Ursi, in particular, can soothe the lining of your urinary tract and can buffer the acidity of your urine slightly, which can help alleviate discomfort. Dandelion is another good diuretic, but I'd go for Uva Ursi instead in your case.

Lots of other fermented foods can help as well. Kombucha, yogurt, kefir, raw saurkraut, ect...

No. Just no.

Cranberry juice has been a popular folk treatment for years. A decent reason why cranberry might prevent or treat urinary tract infections is still lacking despite five decades of study. An ingredient in cranberry, proanthocyanidins, is thought to block some variants of E. coli bacteria from adhering to bladder cells, which might reduce the risk of infection. But these “fimbriated” bacteria are uncommon in species isolated from urinary tract infections. So even if the theoretical mechanism of action is correct (which remains unproven), the real-world effect, based on this assumption, should be minimal. And that’s largely what the evidence shows, when you account for the poor research quality. But we don’t need to know how it works, if it works. And there is no good evidence that cranberry is an effective treatment for UTIs

https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/cranberry-the-alt-med-zombie/
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options

Most doctors would reccommend antibiotics for a uti.
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

You could go that way, too. I guess the talk about detoxes just made me think of alternative medicine.

Do you think that she sees an integrative medicine doctor? I can't imagine many regular physicians prescribing a detox, and I also can't imagine many insurance providers covering naturopaths.
  • MissusMoon
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

You could go that way, too. I guess the talk about detoxes just made me think of alternative medicine.

Do you think that she sees an integrative medicine doctor? I can't imagine many regular physicians prescribing a detox, and I also can't imagine many insurance providers covering naturopaths.

I'm starting to wonder about this being a real MD.