Why do you hate Dr. Oz?

Options

Replies

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I used to work in a pharmacy up until June 2015. Every shift I would get at least one customer looking for something Dr oz recommended which were useless and overpriced items
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    He even talks about anti-cancer foods. People know not to think that this will prevent cancer. People are not that dumb.
    And I simply do not see him endorsing things.

People really are that dumb. I was reading a study several years ago reviewing home remedies people tried to cure their children of asthma. Two families gave their children turpentine (to drink), because they heard it would work. I have been in health care a while now. In my own personal experiences... yes, people can certainly be that stupid.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    @ lina One time I went to a doctor for shin splints. He gave me brand new anti-anxiety pills, and something for pain that has now been pulled for heart failure (chl something). And told me to rest.
    It's people like that that should go to a hot place to die. Dr. Oz genuinely cares on educating people.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    @ lina One time I went to a doctor for shin splints. He gave me brand new anti-anxiety pills, and something for pain that has now been pulled for heart failure (chl something). And told me to rest.
    It's people like that that should go to a hot place to die. Dr. Oz genuinely cares on educating people about making money.

Fixed it for you.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,177 Member
    Options
    Not gullible by any chance. I read nightly about nutrition and good health. Well educated.
    Perhaps why I see the show as pure entertainment and do not hate it. Every once in a while I learn something.

This thread is entertaining. :)

That show, however ... I've only watched it once when it happened to be on late one night and I was curious ... and it was way too much american talk show rubbish for me. It had me rolling my eyes half the time. And the problem is that there are people who actually believe it all. Just scary!

• MelaniaTrump
    Options
    Frontline on PBS has a show about vitamins. See... I learn from other sources as a person should. And... I take this as entertainment. I'm not dumb. I just enjoy the show.
  • star1407
    star1407 Posts: 588 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Here's an idea, why don't you try turning off the tv and getting solid, evidence based knowledge from reputable sources. Like a text book
  • madacali
    madacali Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Dr. Oz takes advantage of the insecurities of his audience, preying on a human being's desire for a quick fix. I looked into his Raspberry Keytone scam and found out he had a financial connection with the company he was promoting. Raspberry Keytones, Oh my.

As many have already mentioned he uses his medical position to sell items. He's just a fast talking huckster.

Personally , I find his jittery style nerve racking. I want to tell hem to have a cup of chamomile tea... chill... get off the crack.

If I met Dr. Oz I'd just walk the other way.
  • OpinionatedCyborg
    OpinionatedCyborg Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Before he got famous and, in turn, greedy, he was pretty good. I read YOU on a diet. Great book, taught me a lot about blood sugar.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,177 Member
    Options
    star1407 wrote: »
    Here's an idea, why don't you try turning off the tv and getting solid, evidence based knowledge from reputable sources. Like a text book

This ^^

In fact, I was just about to type almost those exact words! :grin:

I'd also recommend going to the local university and taking some classes.

• star1407
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    star1407 wrote: »

This ^^

In fact, I was just about to type almost those exact words! :grin:

I'd also recommend going to the local university and taking some classes.

Yes yes very good idea
  • MelaniaTrump
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I read every single night. Please do not insult. We are friends here. This place is all about supports and friendships. And maybe a debate.
    Agree. Many people want a quick fix.
    I also read You Staying Young - just a book I enjoyed.
    Colleges do not really teach about healthy eating. If they do, it would be a waste of money, since it's all in books.
  • star1407
    Options
    Honestly I don't wish to insult you, I want you to "see the light"
    It is so frustrating when you can see how damaging something is, I have believed and tried various stuff in the past too. I just want people to be safe, and save their money
  • MelaniaTrump
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I believe that Dr. Oz has made many people's life better. Not worse.
    And I hope in the future there are more shows that teach about health of your heart and nutrition for a long life. We need them. We cannot shoot this one down. Or there will never be anymore.
    Today, I believe he had a show about lettuce. This could remind people to go eat lettuce. He spoke about the vitamins, etc in it.

Granted some shows are stupid as heck. Especially when he has celebrities. I just walk away. I also disliked when he had that lady that can hear the dead (not sure why he does that).
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    And I hope in the future there are more shows that teach about health of your heart and nutrition for a long life. We need them. We cannot shoot this one down. Or there will never be anymore.

Actually, if we shoot this one down, maybe the networks will learn and the next one will have actual science and health based info, and not guest spots sold to the highest bidder.
  • JenniferLynWhatx
    JenniferLynWhatx Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I read every single night. Please do not insult. We are friends here. This place is all about supports and friendships. And maybe a debate.
    Agree. Many people want a quick fix.
    I also read You Staying Young - just a book I enjoyed.
    Colleges do not really teach about healthy eating. If they do, it would be a waste of money, since it's all in books.

All college courses are taught out of text books...........
  • star1407
    Options

Actually, if we shoot this one down, maybe the networks will learn and the next one will have actual science and health based info, and not guest spots sold to the highest bidder.

I agree. It's time people stood up and said we aren't putting up with this crap anymore
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Today, I believe he had a show about lettuce. This could remind people to go eat lettuce. He spoke about the vitamins, etc in it.

Granted some shows are stupid as heck. Especially when he has celebrities. I just walk away. I also disliked when he had that lady that can hear the dead (not sure why he does that).

Or we could support those shows that promote good science while not mixing it with pseudoscience and demand a higher quality of information in future shows to come.

Hasn't it been announced that this is the final season of his show anyway? I would rather see it replaced with something that has higher standards rather than something trying for higher ratings.
  • MelaniaTrump
    Options
    So much his shows had to offer on nutrients in food, heart health, blood pressure, cholesterol lowering habits/foods, he even explained intermitent exercise on the treadmil which I never heard of before him.
    So much he has offered in the past 2 years. I have not seen him push any supplements at all.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I rather like the show. It's entertaining. It gives me ideas on what to eat. Recipes. It reminds me to be healthy. I learned things like I need more magnesium in my diet. Yoga poses.
    For real information I read books or trusted sites off the internet.
    I don't think Dr. Oz is really a quack. I think he really cares about people's health. Wish more shows like that would be on TV (they are needed).
    What did he do or say that made you not like him? If people criticize him too much, no more health shows will ever come in the future. A lot better than MSNBC.

he is a charlatan ..

and if you are learning things from his show, I suggest you immediately forget them as 99% of them are probably woo….
This discussion has been closed.