Options

Replies

• _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    macros schmacros

just hit your minimum protein requirement for the day

I'll remember that as my training ramps up for my 6+ hour races this summer. Who needs carbs...

Well I'm yet to see a marathon runner that looks healthy and not underweight.

How many marathons have you attended? Based on the above comment I'll say zero.
  • AnabolicKyle
    AnabolicKyle Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Both links provide no evidence which is pretty typical of any nutrition based "science". That doesn't mean they are wrong but it means their is no definite answer. Maybe the minimum is 20g of fat or 60g of fat, I don't know.

Two types of diets I have seen

The 90% carb diet. I forget the name. Some YouTube guy always brings it up.

The no carb diet Atkins paleo etc

My point is that as long as you eat some what normal diet all you need to lose fat is
    1.calories in vs calories out
    2.A min target of protein
    3.rule number one is king

Thought experiment
    Macros matter!!!
    What should my daily carb intake be?
    Why?
    What should my daily fat intake be?
    Why?
    What should my daily protein intake be?
    Why?
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    macros schmacros

But protein is a macro. You're saying who cares about macros, but care about this macro! LOL.
  • muscleandbeard
    muscleandbeard Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    macros schmacros

I'll remember that as my training ramps up for my 6+ hour races this summer. Who needs carbs...

A lot. As a cop I work them ever couple of months. I see guys passing out within the first 10 miles. None of them look above 150lbs

• AnabolicKyle
    Options
    PikaKnight wrote: »
    macros schmacros

But protein is a macro. You're saying who cares about macros, but care about this macro! LOL.

Protein is a macro
    Macros are not protein

Plz no bully!
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    macros schmacros

A lot. As a cop I work them ever couple of months. I see guys passing out within the first 10 miles. None of them look above 150lbs

And you think that some person passing out in the first ten miles qualifies as a well trained and healthy marathon runner?

Maybe you should instead check out the people who finish.
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Lovee_Dove7 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    Both links provide no evidence which is pretty typical of any nutrition based "science". That doesn't mean they are wrong but it means their is no definite answer. Maybe the minimum is 20g of fat or 60g of fat, I don't know.

The no carb diet Atkins paleo etc

My point is that as long as you eat some what normal diet all you need to lose fat is
    1.calories in vs calories out
    2.A min target of protein

Thought experiment
    Macros matter!!!
    What should my daily carb intake be?
    Why?
    Why?
    Why?

Why "A min target of protein?"

Thought experiment for you:
    You are going to a world-televised beach party on the French coast with 12 supermodels. There will be photo sessions and competitions with other athletes for strength and endurance.
    What will be your diet for the next two weeks? Will you be tightening up on that diet, paying attention to your macros so you will look and perform your best?
  • AnabolicKyle
    Options

To avoid muscle loss while at a calorie deficit.
    You are going to a world-televised beach party on the French coast with 12 supermodels. There will be photo sessions and competitions with other athletes for strength and endurance.
    What will be your diet for the next two weeks? Will you be tightening up on that diet, paying attention to your macros so you will look and perform your best?

for 14 days I would eat nothing but protein probably about 250g(1000calories) to look as lean as possible.
  • muscleandbeard
    muscleandbeard Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    macros schmacros

And you think that some person passing out in the first ten miles qualifies as a well trained and healthy marathon runner?

Maybe you should instead check out the people who finish.

I can't, I always get stuck somewhere half way through ;)
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    macros schmacros

Have you been to many marathon races? Or are you referring to elite level racers where carrying less weight is advantageous?

I've seen lots of competitive cyclists and triathletes who look healthy. They also have higher carb requirements.
    Everyone's definition of healthy is different. An adult man that is 6 feet tall and weighs 140 lbs is not healthy "looking" in my opinion. Now compare marathon runners to track and field athletes, you'll see a body composition difference in referring to.

I run marathons and ultramarathons. I'm considerably more than 140. No one would ever call me underweight.

But nice broad brush you've got there, brofessor.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    macros schmacros

And then there are the guys that are running the whole 26.2 faster than you can sprint.

But totes out of shape.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    Thoughts? Will Brink is well respected in the nutrition industry

Figuring Macronutrients The EASY Way!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoBT-lju3Cw
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Options

To avoid muscle loss while at a calorie deficit.

for 14 days I would eat nothing but protein probably about 250g(1000calories) to look as lean as possible.

Wait!
    You're adjusting your macros.
    You're using macros to obtain desired results. For looks in this case. I'm questioning your ability to compete in those strength and endurance competitions. You'll lose the contracts with Nike!
  • AnabolicKyle
    Options
    Wait!
    You're adjusting your macros.
    You're using macros to obtain desired results. For looks in this case. I'm questioning your ability to compete in those strength and endurance competitions. You'll lose the contracts with Nike!

Okay...

StrawMan2.jpg
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Options
    I don't think you know what that means.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    Curious to what defines an Elite athlete?
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Both links provide no evidence which is pretty typical of any nutrition based "science". That doesn't mean they are wrong but it means their is no definite answer. No, it just means you reject their recommendations and the probability that there must be good reason why they recommend what they do. Maybe the minimum is 20g of fat or 60g of fat, I don't know. That's clear.

Sounds idiotic and misinformed. What does it have to do with this?

The no carb diet Atkins paleo etc umm...that's three different diets. None of which we're discussing. What's your point?

1.calories in vs calories out this is ALL you need to lose fat
    2.A min target of protein you can lose fat without minimum protein intake. You just won't retain as much muscle.

Thought experiment
    Macros matter!!!
    What should my daily carb intake be? It depends on your goals, how you plan to get there and where you're starting
    Why? Because different goals and methods require different macros for optimal results and no one starts from the same point
    It depends on your goals, how you plan to get there and where you're starting
    Why? Because different goals and methods require different macros for optimal results and no one starts from the same point
    It depends on your goals, how you plan to get there and where you're starting

Here's another tidbit.

http://europepmc.org/abstract/med/10910295

• AnabolicKyle
    Options
    @Carlos_421
    The point is nobody knows optimal macro ratios so setting one is pointless like I said.

USDA used to recommend
    smoking
    low fat diet
    low cholesterol diet (dont eat eggs)
    eating trans fat (margarine)
    etc etc etc

Macros schmacros
  • AnabolicKyle
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »

That study doesnt even have constant calories in both groups.

but even if it did, it doesnt matter. science is repeatable, which means they need repeatable studies to show certain macro ratios are better for health or fat loss or whatever.

Carlos i think youre missing my point and idea.
    my distilled idea is this.

everyone needs some minimum amount of protein and fat to live.
    nobody really knows what is best
    hit the minimums and dont worry about macro ratios
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    @Carlos_421
    The point is nobody knows optimal macro ratios so setting one is pointless like I said.

USDA used to recommend
    smoking
    low fat diet
    low cholesterol diet (dont eat eggs)
    eating trans fat (margarine)
    etc etc etc

Macros schmacros

The point is macros will differ dependent on goals and we know a lot more about them now than we did in the eighties when the low fat trend was popular.

But since you don't trust the recommendations of well respected experts like Lyle McDonald and Dr Layne Norton as well as the research I provided on the affect on immune function in athletes (not to mention all the evidence we now have regarding the affect of fat intake on testosterone production), even attempting to set beneficial macro levels is completely useless.
    Ok.