Options
12346»

Replies

• AnabolicKyle
    AnabolicKyle Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    @Carlos_421
    The point is nobody knows optimal macro ratios so setting one is pointless like I said.

USDA used to recommend
    smoking
    low fat diet
    low cholesterol diet (dont eat eggs)
    eating trans fat (margarine)
    etc etc etc

Macros schmacros

The point is macros will differ dependent on goals and we know a lot more about them now than we did in the eighties when the low fat trend was popular.

But since you don't trust the recommendations of well respected experts like Lyle McDonald and Dr Layne Norton as well as the research I provided on the affect on immune function in athletes (not to mention all the evidence we now have regarding the affect of fat intake on testosterone production), even attempting to set beneficial macro levels is completely useless.
    Ok.

I respect Lyle McDonald a lot!!!
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    @Carlos_421
    The point is nobody knows optimal macro ratios so setting one is pointless like I said.

USDA used to recommend
    smoking
    low fat diet
    etc etc etc

Macros schmacros

The point is macros will differ dependent on goals and we know a lot more about them now than we did in the eighties when the low fat trend was popular.

But since you don't trust the recommendations of well respected experts like Lyle McDonald and Dr Layne Norton as well as the research I provided on the affect on immune function in athletes (not to mention all the evidence we now have regarding the affect of fat intake on testosterone production), even attempting to set beneficial macro levels is completely useless.
    Ok.

I respect Lyle McDonald a lot!!!

His position is that there is no one defined macro ratio that is best for everyone (because "it depends" and because different people have had some level of success with different approaches).
    Still, he recommends basic guidelines for setting macros and he suggests 20% from fat as an absolute bare minimum.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/macronutrient-intake-for-mass-gains-qa.html/
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Lovee_Dove7 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    @Carlos_421

USDA used to recommend
    smoking
    low fat diet
    etc etc etc

Macros schmacros

You don't really have a point.
    Macros are adjustable to benefit individual needs. They matter!
  • jenmarie2012
    jenmarie2012 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Great read! Thanks for sharing :smiley:
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Lovee_Dove7 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the compliment!!!
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    Wetcoaster wrote: »
    Thoughts? Will Brink is well respected in the nutrition industry

Figuring Macronutrients The EASY Way!

Did I mishear him, or did he say "one gram of protein for every pound of bodyweight"? For me that's over 200g - I can neither afford nor manage to eat that amount of steak! ;)

It sounds like an awful lot, especially as MFP has me at around 80g/day, but I'm still trying to learn about all this stuff. Is that much protein really necessary?
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    SueSueDio wrote: »
    Wetcoaster wrote: »
    Thoughts? Will Brink is well respected in the nutrition industry

Figuring Macronutrients The EASY Way!

Did I mishear him, or did he say "one gram of protein for every pound of bodyweight"? For me that's over 200g - I can neither afford nor manage to eat that amount of steak! ;)

It sounds like an awful lot, especially as MFP has me at around 80g/day, but I'm still trying to learn about all this stuff. Is that much protein really necessary?

MFP recommendations for protein are typically very low.
    .8-1 gram per pound of bodyweight is optimal as it will help to preserve muscle while in a deficit or to build muscle in a surplus (if you're lifting).

You won't die with half that, but your muscle retention won't be optimal.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    My understanding is that the .8 g per lb relates to estimated LBM and thus should be tied to a healthy or goal weight and not current weight if you have a good bit to lose still.

Here's a good source on protein also, with somewhat lower recommendations for many people (based on goal) -- not that it's bad to go over:

http://examine.com/faq/how-much-protein-do-i-need-every-day/
  • SueSueDio
    Options
    Aha - thank you! That article suggests 0.8g or more per kilo, not per pound... makes more sense! :)
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Aha - thank you! That article suggests 0.8g or more per kilo, not per pound... makes more sense! :)

0.8 and up. And only if you're sedentary.
  • SueSueDio
    Options
    "or more", yep. :) Sounds like anything between 0.8 and 1.5 would be suitable in my circumstances, but I should base it on my goal weight and not current. That's the impression I got, anyway!

I am pretty sedentary at the moment, need to work up to being more active but I've made a start. I've been reading how you risk losing muscle as well as fat if you don't have enough protein (and do some strength training), so I wanted to be sure I was getting enough but not too much. Not that it feels like I have any muscle right now, but maybe it's hiding under the flab... ;)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

Not for many people:
    If you are an athlete or highly active person currently attempting to lose body fat while preserving lean muscle mass, a daily intake of 1.5-2.2g/kg bodyweight (0.68-1g/lb bodyweight) would be a good target.

This is what I aim for.
    If you are an athlete or highly active person, or you are attempting to lose body fat while preserving lean mass, then a daily intake of 1.0-1.5g/kg bodyweight (0.45-0.68g/lb bodyweight) would be a good target.

This would apply to anyone trying to lose.

BUT:
    If you are obese, using a protein intake relative to body weight is a bad idea. Either calculate your lean mass (overall weight after subtracting fat mass, which can be calculated by body fat percentage) or use your goal/target weight for calculations.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to thank the OP for posting this. I've had so many arguments with my boyfriend about this, but now I understand better where he's coming from and why macros are important depending on a person's goals. I've always tried to reach my protein goals, and usually do, but only because I've always heard "protein is good". Now I'll be upping my daily protein goal. :)