Not Fair

Options
123457»

Replies

• FabianRodriguez94
    FabianRodriguez94 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I eat a small breakfast, HUGE lunch, and then a very small dinner. Have been doing this for 2 years, have lost 80+ lbs.
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    snikkins wrote: »
    tomteboda wrote: »
    “Life isn't fair, it's just fairer than death, that's all.”
    ― William Goldman, The Princess Bride

:heart:

No one ever quotes the book.

"Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something." Great book!

:love: and movie!

Anyway, to be on-topic, I have a "naturally" thin friend, who is often told to enjoy her high metabolism while she can. I used to think when we'd go out that we'd eat the same amount, but not even close. For example, her Chipotle order would last her 2-3 meals, where mine would be one. I was never jealous because at that point, I wasn't caring about my own weight, but once I started counting calories, I noticed that that was her habit because I was curious and also nosy.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,007 Member
    Options
    As someone who is lean I think it is unfair that people always assume you are naturally thin. Sure I have never been overweight but I have always counted calories and I train hard at the gym. I also don't have a car and walk as transportation a lot.

This ^^
  • crb426
    crb426 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Popeyes:
    3 spicy chicken tenders: 310 calories
    Red beans and rice: 230 (a biscuit would be 260)
    Total: 540 calories

Subway:
    6-in turkey on wheat: 300 calories
    Bag of baked lays: 130 calories
    Total: 430 calories

You are actually only complaining about a 100-150 calorie difference.

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Simply put?

Eyes on your own plate. :)
  • cessi0909
    cessi0909 Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I used to drink a lot of Pepsi in my early 20's while at work and normally ate a big dinner (working 1pm - 10pm so ate dinner at work) An overweight woman I worked with asking me OFTEN how I stayed thin eating the way I did. Back then I just would say I didn't know and it really bothered me she always commented on my food/drink choices. Now I look back and see that was all I ate that day was my one big dinner and maybe a snack sometimes. I also went out dancing with friends 3-4 times a week.

Like it has been said eyes on your own plate, you have no idea what the other person eats or how active they are. Life is actually pretty fair in weight loss -- if you overeat, you gain weight.
  • cessi0909
    cessi0909 Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    So this was interesting-- my husband has always been thin. I assumed for a long while he burned more calories I did just normally but we started comparing our iWatch calories and he burns about 100 more calories a day than I do on average just being him BUT also has 300-400 more active calories burned each day than I do.
  • mrsnazario1219
    mrsnazario1219 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I find it pretty funny that we have 5 pages of comments and OP has not responded since the OP, but people keep commenting. Carry on.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    arditarose wrote: »
    Jruzer wrote: »
    yusaku02 wrote: »
    mis1022 wrote: »
    So it just dawned on me why weight loss its so hard, because its not fair. I am currently working on losing about 60 pounds. So here I am eating lunch, my yummy 6 inch turkey sub and baked chips, while also in my office is a very skinny woman eating delicious smelling fried popeye chicken and biscuits. She is one of those people who can't gain weight. I know my health factor is much better than that junk but I guess I just want to complain life is not fair.
    First off a 6 inch sub isn't necessarily low calorie. Subway lists them up to almost 700kcal (also I disagree about popeyes sounding delicious but I'm a werido that doesn't like fried chicken that much).

That was another thought I had. A turkey sub and chips is way more than I usually have for lunch.

Ditto.

Came up to about 420 calories? That's not that much, is it? 280 for 6" turkey sub, 140 for chips

It probably depends on the source of the sub: how much bread, turkey, cheese, condiments, etc. Your number appears to be Subway. That's with no cheese or mayo. A local place I frequent lists their turkey sub at 530 kcal, so with chips we're about to 650.

For the record I usually clock in about 300-500 kcal for lunch.

Stepping back, my point was that a turkey sub and chips is a fine lunch. Sounds pretty good, actually.

I wouldn't turn one down ;)