Does exercise help anxiety?

Options
13»

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I don't have anxiety, but I do know that I have less stress and deal with "life" a lot different than I used to, so I am going with 1000% YES.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Just wondering whether people find that exercise positively impacts their mood/anxiety?

I've felt pretty anxious recently for a multitude of reasons, and am thinking of trying to commit to running regularly as I've heard exercise can help. I've never really been into exercise though, so don't have much experience of it.

Just wondering what your personal experiences are like?

It helps me so much. I have a mild case of OCD and I find that now that I have the gym and MFP to channel my OCD into, I am less likely to be very touchy about things at home. On nights that I do not make it to the gym, or eat over my cals, it becomes an issue and I am more anxious though.
  • Burger2066
    Burger2066 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I have no scientific data to back this up, as they didn't cover that in my accounting or auto-tech classes in college. But I will say that it definitely helps keep my anxiety under control and I rarely have issues with it any more (and I don't take meds anymore for it either).
  • plantgrrl
    plantgrrl Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Yes--obviously it's not a panacea, but when I exercise I feel more accomplished and happier over all, I also sleep better at night after a day where I've exercised. I'm sure the exercise helps burn off any excess adrenaline that's been hanging out from all that worrying we've been doing.
  • cmerrilltaylor90
    Options
    As a Psychologist, I know that science shows again and again that exercise always has a positive effect on mood disorders and symptoms like anxiety and depression. But if there is an underlying cause, or causes, in your case, of ones depression or anxiety, no amount of anything besides addressing the problem(s) is going to solve it.

So, in other words, yes, exercise will improve your mood and reduce some depression, but in your case, the anxiety is not going to go away or get better unless you face your "multitude of reasons" for being anxious.
    If these are things that are beyond your control, then it is useful to remind yourself of this fact whenever you feel anxious. The "serenity prayer" is good for this case:

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    The courage to change the things I can,
    And the wisdom to know the difference.

If, after you've done these things and you still don't feel better, then exercise is a very smart next step in battling your anxiety. Like others have mentioned, make sure whatever activity you've chosen is one that you actually enjoy, otherwise you'll grow resentful of the whole process and might even make the problem worse. Good luck!

• pansamanchada
    pansamanchada Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Personally I don't notice cause I don't have anxiety as diagnosed by a doctor, but If I'm stressed or too worried I exercise and it seems to help.
    After reading this book, I know now that it's a scientific fact. It does help
    http://www.amazon.com/Spark-Revolutionary-Science-Exercise-Brain/dp/0316113514
    51CbFW49qrL._SX330_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
  • Skytha
    Skytha Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Yes. My therapist was a huge proponent of exercise for helping anxiety, and scientifically there is evidence that it helps. I find that exercise, once I get over the "I hate this so much" month or so where I feel so painfully out of shape, overhauls my whole outlook on life. Sure, I'll have bad days every once in awhile, feel frustrated and sad and anxious - BUT - on the whole I feel so much better and positive about everything. And it's awesome to know that I have an outlet which I've really begun to look forward to.
  • whit37k
    whit37k Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Yes it definitely does! We have all heard that exercise releases endorphins, but it also helps in other ways for stress/anxiety. When you are exercising, it not only can help take your mind off of what is causing your anxiety during that time, but it can affect the amounts of hormones you are producing. This can change how you respond to stress, and weight gain/loss in general. I thought this was a really interesting read https://www.myliporidex.com/blog/optimize_natural_hormonal_production_through_training/

This is interesting, and I get all the physical and chemical benefits of exercise for the body, but when it comes to my mental state, I feel like exercise can sometimes give me MORE anxiety. Setting aside time, working out around other people (I would never keep a good schedule at home) and the exercise itself, which I am not a huge fan of, all cause me anxiety. I am not sure how to get past these feelings.
  • upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    whit37k wrote: »
    Yes it definitely does! We have all heard that exercise releases endorphins, but it also helps in other ways for stress/anxiety. When you are exercising, it not only can help take your mind off of what is causing your anxiety during that time, but it can affect the amounts of hormones you are producing. This can change how you respond to stress, and weight gain/loss in general. I thought this was a really interesting read https://www.myliporidex.com/blog/optimize_natural_hormonal_production_through_training/

This is interesting, and I get all the physical and chemical benefits of exercise for the body, but when it comes to my mental state, I feel like exercise can sometimes give me MORE anxiety. Setting aside time, working out around other people (I would never keep a good schedule at home) and the exercise itself, which I am not a huge fan of, all cause me anxiety. I am not sure how to get past these feelings.

Find an exercise you like, maybe it is just walking alone, maybe you can find a class you like. Try different things, you might be surprised by what you end up liking
  • chiptease
    chiptease Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I started jogging on my lunch breaks and lemmetellyou - the difference is amazing. I don't feel weighed down, sleepy, or stressed in the afternoons. I'm alert and refreshed.
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    YES
  • Panda_brat
    Panda_brat Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »
    Yes, if you enjoy running. Probably not if you hate running (may even add to the issue).

I can't comment directly on anxiety, but I can say running helps my mood and focus. Try it and see how it works for you.

Walking works also, or swimming or biking or lifting, or whatever you like to do.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    Yes!

I used to have a very stressful job and started jogging at lunch.

Me in the morning: OMG can you believe this guy? what is with this email. I am gonna reply and tell him what a *kitten* he is. Then I'm going to tell my boss to stop throwing me under the bus. Am I about to lose my job? Why are they all treating me like this?

Me in the afternoon: Good thing I didn't send that email. This dude's alright. Probably just having a bad day. Man I am so chill. Like so chill. I got this.
  • Wendy77685
    Wendy77685 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Yoga really helps with my anxiety