Aren't you a little tired of the "Obesity Epidemic"?

Options
I hope we all know that part of the reason that "Everyone is overweight" is that they changed the standards of the BMI -- I think around 2000 --- so that all these people who were considered average were now overweight. Part of the reason I don't like all this talk is that it doesn't take into consideration the "why" rather than the "how."

I have had very slender coworkers talk about, "How can people get that big? They really need to learn discipline" or even "It's disgusting to be that fat!" (I was never thin so I don't know why they said these things in front of me!) And I keep hearing that, "Oh, yeah, I'm really just concerned about your health," but they know nothing about these people. So how much of it is really that we "We want everyone to be healthy!" and how much of it is, "I don't want to see fat people"? I've even had a (slender) doctor tell me to my face, "I can tell just by looking at you that you have high blood pressure." (He was wrong, it's normal.) So I wonder what kind of assumptions everyone makes -- that you're unhealthy and you need to be told to lose weight?

I've struggled with my weight all my life, but I've found that I eat most when I'm stressed or emotional. I eat as a way to self-soothe and I'm working on doing things differently now that I'm older and hopefully wiser. Why can't we address this if we really want to stop people eating when they're not hungry or teach them new coping skills?

Sorry, just on my mind today.

c.

Replies

• Bridgetthegre
    Bridgetthegre Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Some people are just rude.
    But they haven't decreased the weight standards. They were lower 30 years ago. Sizes were also smaller prior to around 1990. And they were even smaller than THAT prior to 1970. People really are bigger.

But that doesn't give anyone carte blanche to be rude. It isn't as if larger people don't KNOW they're larger.
  • scarrletti_girl
    scarrletti_girl Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Wow that is ridiculous!!! People now a days are just stupid and misinformed. And society has upped the standards of health and beauty because they wanna cut all the fat unattractive people out of site!! It is disgusting! People should be ashamed of themselves!.
    I feel you candy! I hear and see people do the same things as you do too! It is rude!
  • SkepticallyFit
    Options
    It's tempting to blame society instead of examining our own issues. The BMI model is more relevant at the population level, which is why you can have very muscular people with a BMI that indicates they are overweight or obese. However, most people are not that muscular. And when you look at the BMI of your average American, it is too high.

I think it's reasonable to ask whether a high BMI is inherently a bad thing. That's what nutritional science has to establish, which it has. A BMI of 30 or above is linked to numerous health issues and a shorter lifespan, while a BMI of 25 or less leads to much better outcomes. That's good enough to conclude that being obese is not good for your health and has little to do with aesthetic reasons, such as not wanting to see fat people.
  • BigBrunette
    BigBrunette Posts: 1,543 Member
    Options
    To be honest, the only obesity epidemic I'm paying attention to is the one around my midsection.
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    There are so many factors that can enter into the reasons why. As with many things in life, education is a major key to success. I am 61 years old, older than most people here, and proof that you are never too old to learn. I am unofficially (my weigh in is Monday) -5 pounds below my initial goal. I have learned a lot over the past 16 months about nutrition, portion size, making healthier choices and getting up and moving. I owe my success to many people here whose stories motivated and inspired me to continue on, especially when I needed a boost.
    I love food. I love to cook, bake and eat. I over ate. Simple as that. I did not need a reason. Happy, sad, stressed, didn't matter, I would turn to food. People are bigger today. Over the past year I learned about vanity sizing. The size 8 I wear today, was not size 8 in the 70's when I was in my 20's.
    I am sure that there are some people that are obese that are very happy, healthy and emotionally well adjusted, and are content with their lives. I was not happy being morbidly obese, but I lacked the self control and motivation to do something about it. For me, it was easier to continue the status quo. The long term affects of my being obese for so many years may have consequences for me down the road. I only know that I am feeling 100% better than I did one year ago when I could barely make it up the stairs.
    I feel sad now when I see people that are very over weight. I want to tell them about MFP and that they can do it too!
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Actually people in America were smaller in size back when I was growing up in the last 1970s and early 1980s. Now when I go to the doctor, the chairs in the labs for the blood draw and in the waiting room are much bigger. I once asked why the chairs were so big. They have to accommodate people who weigh 300+ pounds. Today, there are more people who weigh in that range compared to 30 years ago. In my daughter's kindergarten class today there are kindergarteners who weigh 80 pounds. I can't remember an 80 pound child in my kindy class.

I used to live in Asia because my dad's career took us there. It's an eye opener to get off the plane from say Hong Kong to the US. Or even Europe to America. What's considered average in size here is considered large to extra large over there.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    I hope we all know that part of the reason that "Everyone is overweight" is that they changed the standards of the BMI -- I think around 2000 --- so that all these people who were considered average were now overweight. Part of the reason I don't like all this talk is that it doesn't take into consideration the "why" rather than the "how."

So absolutely not true...and a really weak excuse.....
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I've never been overweight. Part of the reason is that I fully understand how hard it is to lose weight and I'm not that disciplined. My solution has always been to keep an eye on the scale and to try to be active. I also know that some people gain weight because of medical treatments or medication and in much rarer cases, genetic conditions.

Having said that, I don't understand how the people who do have control over their weight developed such a disconnect with their bodies. I see weights that are mind-boggling. You can't put on that amount of weight without physical discomfort.

There's no doubt that obesity is partly a societal issue and that much more needs to be done to support people who have a propensity to gain weight. More important,, today's kids need assistance and resources. But a large percentage of population is at an unhealthy weight, there are ramifications for them and for society at large, and it can't be ignored.
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    We really should be going by BF% if we are all that concerned about health. The only problem is that would make even more people be put into an unhealthy category. There are more people that look like they have a healthy body weight than actually do have a healthy body weight if you consider BF%.

Be that as it may. When 66% or more of people have trouble controlling their weight, you have to wonder if it is solely an individual problem or if there are larger issues going on.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Most Americans are overweight. That's just a fact. Blaming it on "they changed the BMI standards" is really a lame excuse.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I hope we all know that part of the reason that "Everyone is overweight" is that they changed the standards of the BMI -- I think around 2000 --- so that all these people who were considered average were now overweight.
    I didn't know that but, yep, I just loooked it up. They changed it in 1998. I've never paid that much attention to mine. I use a mirror. If I look fat, I figure I probably am.

I'm very fortunate, though. I didn't get the little genetic particle that makes people care what other people think or say to them. I used to get comments that I was overweight. Now I get them that I'm too skinny. That's their problem.
  • delfonzo2000
    delfonzo2000 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I hope we all know that part of the reason that "Everyone is overweight" is that they changed the standards of the BMI -- I think around 2000 --- so that all these people who were considered average were now overweight.
    I didn't know that but, yep, I just loooked it up. They changed it in 1998. I've never paid that much attention to mine. I use a mirror. If I look fat, I figure I probably am.

I'm very fortunate, though. I didn't get the little genetic particle that makes people care what other people think or say to them. I used to get comments that I was overweight. Now I get them that I'm too skinny. That's their problem.

You're awesome.
  • VBnotbitter
    VBnotbitter Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    At a societal level is not about aesthetics it's about cost. Healthcare costs are increased not just because of obesity related illnesses but because even when healthy morbidly obese people attend hospitals for other reasons, lets say having a baby they will need bariatric equipment available. An example list includes bigger beds, wheelchairs, operating theatre tables, blood pressure cuffs, toilet seats. At our hospital we have four nursing staff off with back and shoulder injuries resulting from assisting one morbidly obese patient alone. If and when they die they don't fit in mortuary trolleys or fridges, they need bigger coffins and horrifically don't fit into crematorians whole.

I am sincerely sorry for any individual who gets themselves into this situation, and I'm aware that there are many psychological reasons behind it. I am equally sorry when people are rude and hurtful to someone because of their size BUT when you read and hear about the obesity epidemic it is not aimed at you personally or because we want everyone to look like Hollywood stars. It is about cost and limited resources.
  • linsey0689
    linsey0689 Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    Totally agree. So annoying to me. All fat people are "sick" not really I have low blood pressure and pretty healthy other than the fact that I am over weight. I also hate when people say I don't see how people just let themselves go. Sometimes I just want to bud in and say I have lost over 40 pounds (30 on here) so I really haven't just let myself go.
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Most Americans are overweight. That's just a fact. Blaming it on "they changed the BMI standards" is really a lame excuse.

I agree.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

I agree.

^ This.

There's always an excuse. That's why over half of Americans are overweight. Excuses. Fortunately, there are sources with good information and practical approaches such as MFP. As much misinformation is on here, the basic premise of moving more and eating less, which is fundamental to what this site is, works.
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    A BMI of 30 or above is linked to numerous health issues and a shorter lifespan, while a BMI of 25 or less leads to much better outcomes.
    You skipped the part where people in the 'overweight' category actually had better outcomes than the 'normal' category.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options

I agree.

^ This.

There's always an excuse. That's why over half of Americans are overweight. Excuses. Fortunately, there are sources with good information and practical approaches such as MFP. As much misinformation is on here, the basic premise of moving more and eating less, which is fundamental to what this site is, works.

So you're saying 150 million people are all overweight, and they ALL have 'just excuses'?

This thinking certainly solves problems.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Had a whole thing typed out.

Then decided it's not worth it.

Make another excuse for being fat, that's how you go there in the 1st place.

/thread
  • mahanaibu
    mahanaibu Posts: 505 Member
    Options

So absolutely not true...and a really weak excuse.....

Actually--it's TRUE. http://www.cnn.com/HEALTH/9806/17/weight.guidelines/

They changed the guidelines in 1998 in ways that defined more people as overweight. They give an example in the article.

To someone else who posted....it's not quite clear that a bmi of under 25 is healthier than overweight BMI. Most recent study, published in January in Journal of the American Medical Assn. finds people in the overweight category were less likely to die during the study period! It's not a definitive study, but there is still a lot of disagreement in the medical community about whether having a bmi of 25 to 29.9 is less healthy than under 25. Obese BMI--yes, less healthy in general.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/01/02/health/overweight-mortality