Aren't you a little tired of the "Obesity Epidemic"?

Options

Replies

• BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Most Americans are overweight. That's just a fact. Blaming it on "they changed the BMI standards" is really a lame excuse.

I agree.

^ This.

There's always an excuse. That's why over half of Americans are overweight. Excuses. Fortunately, there are sources with good information and practical approaches such as MFP. As much misinformation is on here, the basic premise of moving more and eating less, which is fundamental to what this site is, works.

So you're saying 150 million people are all overweight, and they ALL have 'just excuses'?

This thinking certainly solves problems.

Oh, I think a hefty dose of honesty could solve this problem. Will it happen when we've managed to create a culture of excuse making? Not likely. At the end of the day though, telling people the truth about how they can help themselves would be very empowering.

What we see now though is just so much excuse generating. Sugar, fast food, corn subsidies . . .
  • mahanaibu
    mahanaibu Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    That said--there is definitely an obesity problem in this country. The numbers show it, and I see it all the time. Twenty years ago it was so unusual to see a really heavy child. Now I see them quite regularly, especially in low-income areas.

People can be rude and amazingly judgmental. and life isn't fair and some people can eat more without gaining weight. Now it's time to get over all that and act for your own health, fitness and sense of well-being.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    I hope we all know that part of the reason that "Everyone is overweight" is that they changed the standards of the BMI -- I think around 2000 --- so that all these people who were considered average were now overweight. Part of the reason I don't like all this talk is that it doesn't take into consideration the "why" rather than the "how."

So absolutely not true...and a really weak excuse.....

Actually--it's TRUE. http://www.cnn.com/HEALTH/9806/17/weight.guidelines/

They changed the guidelines in 1998 in ways that defined more people as overweight. They give an example in the article.

To someone else who posted....it's not quite clear that a bmi of under 25 is healthier than overweight BMI. Most recent study, published in January in Journal of the American Medical Assn. finds people in the overweight category were less likely to die during the study period! It's not a definitive study, but there is still a lot of disagreement in the medical community about whether having a bmi of 25 to 29.9 is less healthy than under 25. Obese BMI--yes, less healthy in general.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/01/02/health/overweight-mortality

The problem with the BMI is that it doesn't take into account the body fat %. In general, lower body fat = better outcome.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Most Americans are overweight. That's just a fact. Blaming it on "they changed the BMI standards" is really a lame excuse.

I agree.

^ This.

There's always an excuse. That's why over half of Americans are overweight. Excuses. Fortunately, there are sources with good information and practical approaches such as MFP. As much misinformation is on here, the basic premise of moving more and eating less, which is fundamental to what this site is, works.

So you're saying 150 million people are all overweight, and they ALL have 'just excuses'?

I'd say a (really) high percentage of those 150 million people do indeed have a lot of excuses.
  • red99ryder
    red99ryder Posts: 399 Member
    Options

I agree.

^ This.

Maybe not excuses , but reasons we are a heavier Nation than before . Part I would think would be our standard of living is higher . We can afford to be fat . In times past you had a meal cooked by Mom because that's what we could afford . Now Mom works too so shes tired and dads tired so we order a Pizza or hit a drive thru for some fried chicken ect ,, Fast paced living to life in the drive thru window .. Do we know better yes ,, do we live life yes . When do we do something about it ? when it bothers us .

Good luck everyone with your weight goals .
  • RCottonRPh
    RCottonRPh Posts: 148
    Options
    What I actually am tired of is being a PART of the obesity epidemic! I am 6.6 lbs away from being "overweight" instead of "obese"...and I cannot wait to move out of the category. Like it or not, there is an epidemic of overweight/obese folks in this country. If nearly 2 out 3 are overweight or obese, how can that not be an epidemic? I don't think the point in trying to lower obesity is an aesthetic thing...obesity is a dangerous condition that can lead to many deadly health problems.
  • sallyjean210
    sallyjean210 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    New here. I WAS obese. I was very close to 200 pounds. I knew if I reached 200 pounds; I would feel like giving up.
    So, on my own; I changed my eating patterns and portion sizes. Starting weight was 197. Last weigh-in at doctor was 155.
    That is a 42 pound weight loss. No diet; no specific plan. I ate high fiber; low fat; and small portions. My BMI is 25.
    This means that I am still overweight. (at least I am no longer OBESE) Normal for my height and age; is a BMI of 24.9.
    I still want to lose another 22 pounds. I have been stuck for quite some time. Note: It took almost one year to lose the 42 pounds. I did it very slowly; and in a healthy way. By the way, my doctor says that a weight of 150 would be great. I weighed 125-130 most of my life. I know I will never be that thin again; but I will feel good at around 135 pounds. I am 57 years old; with multiple medical issues. Weight loss has helped many of my medical problems. Exercise is a problem; as I am on oxygen 24/7; and been told not to exert. Best wishes to all of you.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,039 Member
    Options
    BMI is only a guide.

If you are an elite body builder carrying lots of muscle and you have a BMI over 30, that's fine.
    Most people will know if their high BMI is due to this or not.
    If not, then it is highly likely you are over weight and over weight enough for it to be likely to affect your health outcomes.

There is another tool (in Australia anyway, not sure if it is used in USA) where waist measurement is used as a guide to healthy size - this is quite useful as eliminates the 'muscle tipping BMI up' people - an elite body builder or even a healthy muscular sportsperson may have a higher BMI but will still not have an overly increased girth.
  • MrsGriffin67
    MrsGriffin67 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    The title of your post reminded me of a song a few years back.
    It was by Lazy Boy and it was called "Underwear Goes Inside The Pants" It is an awesome song with a very powerful message.

"Americans, let's face it: We've been a spoiled country for a long time.
    Do you know what the number one health risk in America is? Obesity. They say we're in the middle of an obesity epidemic.
    An epidemic like it is polio.

Like we'll be telling our grand kids about it one day.
    The Great Obesity Epidemic of 2004.
    "How'd you get through it grandpa?"
    "Oh, it was horrible Johnny, there was cheesecake and pork chops everywhere."

Nobody knows why were getting fatter? Look at our lifestyle. I'll sit at a drive thru.
    I'll sit there behind fifteen other cars instead of getting up to make the eight foot walk to the totally empty counter.
    Everything is mega meal, super sized. Want biggie fries, super sized, want to go large.
    You want to have thirty burgers for a nickel you fat mother f*cker. There's room in the back. Take it!
    Want a 55 gallon drum of Coke with that? It's only three more cents."

http://www.lyricsmania.com/underwear_goes_inside_the_pants_lyrics_lazyboy.html
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Two third of Americans are overweight, while half of the overweights are obese. I went to the county fair yesterday, and it's not hard to see that the numbers are quite accurate. Before I began this weight loss journey I never paid attention to people's sizes. Now that I actively work on it every single day, the first thing I see from a person is where he/she is in the thin to morbidly obese spectrum. If you frequent any public space, you don't need the CDC to tell you that more than half of us can stand to lose some weight. Just look around.

It saddens me that instead of making an effort to lose weight, some people choose to justify their existence by arguing that overweight is the new normal.
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I hope we all know that part of the reason that "Everyone is overweight" is that they changed the standards of the BMI -- I think around 2000 --- so that all these people who were considered average were now overweight. Part of the reason I don't like all this talk is that it doesn't take into consideration the "why" rather than the "how."

So absolutely not true...and a really weak excuse.....

Actually--it's TRUE. http://www.cnn.com/HEALTH/9806/17/weight.guidelines/

They changed the guidelines in 1998 in ways that defined more people as overweight. They give an example in the article.

To someone else who posted....it's not quite clear that a bmi of under 25 is healthier than overweight BMI. Most recent study, published in January in Journal of the American Medical Assn. finds people in the overweight category were less likely to die during the study period! It's not a definitive study, but there is still a lot of disagreement in the medical community about whether having a bmi of 25 to 29.9 is less healthy than under 25. Obese BMI--yes, less healthy in general.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/01/02/health/overweight-mortality

I don't remember if it's in that article or not, but there is speculation that part of why "overweight" individuals may be less likely to die is that they may be more likely to go to the doctor because they know they're overweight and need to visit the doctor. Meanwhile, people in the lighter ends of the BMI chart may assume they're fine and not go to the doctor until something is very serious.
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    A BMI of 30 or above is linked to numerous health issues and a shorter lifespan, while a BMI of 25 or less leads to much better outcomes.
    You skipped the part where people in the 'overweight' category actually had better outcomes than the 'normal' category.
    And the part where 'normal' and 'class 1 obesity' were about the same.

http://podblog.blogs.hopkinsmedicine.org/2013/01/07/obesity-and-mortality/
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    BMI is only a guide.

If you are an elite body builder carrying lots of muscle and you have a BMI over 30, that's fine.
    Most people will know if their high BMI is due to this or not.
    If not, then it is highly likely you are over weight and over weight enough for it to be likely to affect your health outcomes.

There is another tool (in Australia anyway, not sure if it is used in USA) where waist measurement is used as a guide to healthy size - this is quite useful as eliminates the 'muscle tipping BMI up' people - an elite body builder or even a healthy muscular sportsperson may have a higher BMI but will still not have an overly increased girth.

The waist measurement is good because it does try to focus on fat. But it's still similarly limited because not everyone's skeletal structure is the same. In the US Air Force, there's a big discussion about waist measurement as part of our fitness test. Men can be between 58 and 80 inches (147-203 cm) to serve . But they have the same waist standard whether the individual is 4'10" or 6'8". So it's like saying you can stretch a person out vertically, but you can't have any corresponding / proportional horizontal increase.

Both methods can be used to get a quick look, but if you really want to know about an individual's health, you need to get out the calipers, bod pod, or other BF% measuring devices.
  • LeakieChan
    LeakieChan Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Once I get to know people, I don't even realize what weight they are, I see them beautiful if they have a beautiful personality. I love food very much, I love all the grease and cheeses and sugars! it's taking a lot of self control for me to stop these urges and substitute them for something healthier. I am according to the BMI chart Obese, I don't feel obese, but when I change in front of a mirror the thought does cross my mind,

I DO wish people wouldn't judge others by their weight and would pay more attention to the person themselves and their personality. it is very rude to make jokes or criticize others based on that single look. I'm sure they have faults too and are extremely insecure about them.

Normal, Happy people don't have a need to bring others down and talk bad about others, there is something wrong with THEM if they feel they need to do that.
  • carolyn000000
    carolyn000000 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    People need to live in reality. If you are fat, don't ignore it an hope it goes away. It is okay to be hungry. Start moving, count calories, no excuses. It may sound harsh but I got fat by not being honest with myself. I wouldn't even weigh myself because the truth was too painful. Face it head on, be brave, and just do it.
  • peace_pigeon
    peace_pigeon Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    People can be rude and amazingly judgmental. and life isn't fair and some people can eat more without gaining weight. Now it's time to get over all that and act for your own health, fitness and sense of well-being.

Amen.
  • JustLindaLou
    JustLindaLou Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    The title of your post reminded me of a song a few years back.
    It was by Lazy Boy and it was called "Underwear Goes Inside The Pants" It is an awesome song with a very powerful message.

"Americans, let's face it: We've been a spoiled country for a long time.
    Do you know what the number one health risk in America is? Obesity. They say we're in the middle of an obesity epidemic.
    An epidemic like it is polio.

Like we'll be telling our grand kids about it one day.
    The Great Obesity Epidemic of 2004.
    "How'd you get through it grandpa?"
    "Oh, it was horrible Johnny, there was cheesecake and pork chops everywhere."

Nobody knows why were getting fatter? Look at our lifestyle. I'll sit at a drive thru.
    I'll sit there behind fifteen other cars instead of getting up to make the eight foot walk to the totally empty counter.
    Everything is mega meal, super sized. Want biggie fries, super sized, want to go large.
    You want to have thirty burgers for a nickel you fat mother f*cker. There's room in the back. Take it!
    Want a 55 gallon drum of Coke with that? It's only three more cents."

http://www.lyricsmania.com/underwear_goes_inside_the_pants_lyrics_lazyboy.html

:laugh: yeah that about sums it up!

I have made excuses, I have stuffed my face countless times knowing full well exactly what I was doing and just having an IDGAF moment - moment after moment after moment.... I have blamed my parents, genetics, ex-husbands, and maryjane and margarita.... But I think even as a child I knew all those cookies weren't what I should be eating, back when I was one of the few overweight children in school (and I am talking maybe 10-20 lbs heavier than my classmates on average, not the 100+ we are seeing today)... And we get to the point where we need to act like adults and take on the responsibility for our choices, and who gives a rats' *kitten* if something is GMO or corn-fortified or whatever - whether you are practicing clean eating or not, it is up to YOU to control portions. Yes it scares me to see the obesity epidemic in our country, and as someone else said, I am tired of being part of it, which is why I am here and making the changes. Tonite I want nothing more than to cave to PMS cravings and scarf an entire package of rice-a-roni, but I am not going to let cravings control me any more, nor give in to hormones as an excuse. But seriously, I am kinda in a stabby mood and not using starchy carbs to combat it isn't helping... So I will save the "PMS and hormones" excuse for my legal defense :grumble:
  • candylilacs
    candylilacs Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I wrote this to see what kinds of people were on the board and how much self-loathing was going on. I'm past that, so I really don't want to see fat-phobic rhetoric.

I see there are people who "don't like excuses," whatever that means, because I've found that life isn't very black and white. It certainly isn't "You're fit or you're making excuses." Almost all of my family is overweight, so whether or not that's genetic or behavioral, I don't know. I also eat because I'm stressed out or depressed, as do other members of my family. These are facts. Glossing over it or calling it "excuses" is being dismissive.

I've lost hundreds of pounds and regained them (not all at once, but definitely over 20 years), been on numerous diets (my mom put me on one when I was 10) so I come here trying to make peace with my experience with food and eating, and promote acceptance and common sense. This experience doesn't come in one size nor does it fit all.
  • sweetchildomine
    sweetchildomine Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Just for the record, I just looked in my dictionary and it defines epidemic as "a rapid development, spread, or growth of something, esp something unpleasant". So, technically it IS an epidemic. Yes, people may be overweight for various reasons HOWEVER that doesn't make it any less unhealthy. I don't know why people keep trying to deny it. It's unhealthy to be overweight PERIOD. That being said, it's also unhealthy to be UNDERweight as well. If you saw someone who looked like this:

anorexia-nervosa.jpg

Wouldn't you be concerned whether you knew them or not? I'm sure ANYONE would make a comment about it at the very least. Then how come we aren't allowed to say anything when someone is morbidly obese? Why is it suddenly SO RUDE when someone states the fact that being overweight is unhealthy and that there is an obesity epidemic?
  • Xoe4
    Xoe4 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    My doctor for years was convinced that I had diabetes. Any complaint I brought to her, had to be because of diabetes. So for probably twice a year for 3 years I was tested for diabetes. I'm not even in a warning zone to watch for diabetes so other than my weight that was her only "proof" Everything I had health related was related to my weight. I understand that I need to get my weight under my control but a large part of it was my depression and just not feeling worth anything so I just ate. Emotional eater riiiiiight here. My lovely doctor chalked this down to my weight also. It's not, it's genetic and I had to see another doctor to get anti depressants rather than "just lose the weight."

I'm tired of being told I have to be unhealthy because I'm overweight (well heavily overweight but by no means do I classify myself as obese). Or that I need to be unhappy because of my weight. Aside from my weight I'm healthy, relatively fit - I can walk for hours and I'm happy with who I am and how I look (most days).