still hungry after 1500 calorie breakfast, what am i doing wrong?

i am 5'1, petite frame

i woke up at 7:45 am today, thinking i'll have a 400 calorie breakfast or so. i ate 3 eggs + ground beef/tomato sauce + an apple, and still felt hungry. then i ate a little more of another small meal i had in the fridge, still felt hungry, and so on until i hit 1400 calories, and i still dont feel full :( this lasted like over 2-3 hours, so i started eating at 7:45 am - 10:45 am or so. there were supposed to be 3 small meals that i was supposed to spread throughout the day but i ate them all at breakfast and am still hungry (on a scale of 1-10 with 10 being full, i am still at a 5.5 or so, when i first woke up i was maybe at a 4.5)
what am i doing wrong?

3 over medium eggs 210
meatball/pesto sauce 350
apple 120

Blueberries 15 8
rice, chicken 60
half banana 50

peanut butter .75 oz 120
Oatmeal .75 pack 75
brussel sprouts .75 cup 30

beef stew, cup 150
Blueberries 60 30
Fries 2 15

lean chicken breast 100
sweet potato 110

total: over 1400

Replies

• Spook_Nuke_Em
    Spook_Nuke_Em Posts: 408 Member
    What is your water intake like? Within 15 minutes of waking up I generally drink 16 ounces of water with chia seeds, then have my breakfast within the hour.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Does this amount/type of food usually fill you up? Or is this hunger something new?
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Why do you need to feel full?
  • ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    You could use some high volume/low calorie foods to increase portion sizes.

But it seems like mainly you need to get comfortable with not being "full".

I try to hang out around "I could eat", but not veer all the way into "hangry".
  • Nicolery9
    Nicolery9 Posts: 37 Member
    I had 2 cups of water. I diluted some of the rice in water too to eat it like a soup and with the oatmeal I had added some water.

Usually on weekdays I can do a smaller calories like yesterday I had a banana and a third cup of Coke then ran 5 miles then go to work (although we went out to eat for lunch and I ended up eating like 10 ribs at lunch and a watermelon drink so probably ate like 1800 calories for the dat) but on weekends it's harder to stay motivated because I don't have to go to work and so I feel a bit sluggish for exercise. So I counted today as my free day for a workout.
  • Nicolery9
    Nicolery9 Posts: 37 Member
    Well I don't need to feel full but I felt hungry and I hate that feeling. Is it supposed to be like that? I was trying to let my natural body system guide me to eat until j was full if I am eating healthy and I Feel like I am doing something wrong
  • janejellyroll
    Well I don't need to feel full but I felt hungry and I hate that feeling. Is it supposed to be like that? I was trying to let my natural body system guide me to eat until j was full if I am eating healthy and I Feel like I am doing something wrong

I can't speak to your "natural body system," but being guided by mine led to 40 extra pounds.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    edited January 2016
    Protein & fat tend to suppress hunger longer than carbs of any type.
    Eggs, low-fat sausage, beans, tofu, peanut butter, nuts (I like walnuts in my oatmeal), Greek yogurt.

That being said, some of the best low-cal high-fiber high-weight foods are pretty much all carbs:
    fruits, vegetables, whole grains.
    I felt hungry and I hate that feeling
    Were you honestly hungry, or were you thirsty, tired, bored, upset, etc?
    When you think you feel hungry, is it 4-6 hours after you've last eaten?
    Unless you had practically nothing the last time you ate (coffee & toast), that's probably real.

Try this: next time you think you're hungry, set a timer for 20 minutes.
    Have a glass of water, do something away from the kitchen & unrelated to food.
    If you're still hungry, have something small to eat.
    Next time, do 25 minutes. Then 30. You get the idea.

So if you've waited a while after you think you're hungry, distracted yourself by some other activity,
    had a glass of water, and you're still hungry, have some peanut butter on apple slices or yogurt or a
    hard-boiled egg. Then wait another 30 minutes, to let your body realize you've fed it.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Go out for a walk ..or a workout...get your mind off your mindless need to eat because you're not physically hungry
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    I had 2 cups of water. I diluted some of the rice in water too to eat it like a soup and with the oatmeal I had added some water.

Usually on weekdays I can do a smaller calories like yesterday I had a banana and a third cup of Coke then ran 5 miles then go to work (although we went out to eat for lunch and I ended up eating like 10 ribs at lunch and a watermelon drink so probably ate like 1800 calories for the dat) but on weekends it's harder to stay motivated because I don't have to go to work and so I feel a bit sluggish for exercise. So I counted today as my free day for a workout.

What are your current weight, goal weight, height, non-exercise and exercise activity levels, and average daily calories eaten not netted ?
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    edited January 2016
    This will sound crewl and harsh and not nice

But first of all when i see what you all ate for breakfast..well sorry you will need to learn some will power and hating the :hungry" feeling..well tough deal with it.

Not nice that i say this i know. But look at your amount of food...just look at it. Do you really think it is normal to eat that much? Fight your "hunger" feeling.

Than my advice would be..try to find other foods that helps you to feel fuller.
    Zoats ( zucchini with oats) a big amount.
    Veggies lots of veggies
    Stir fry lots of zucchini and celery with your eggs and tomatoes..try to make a volume meal. And than wait till lunch like i said will power.

BTW when this happens ones in a while i wont sweat it...when it is a more hungry day..i would log it and move on. But when this is "normal" and happens a lot...than you have a problem. You will need to learn to control yourself

Nobody here can solve your hunger fight you have to do that yourself and it is all about how much do you want to lose your weight. Normally when people dont eat enough i would say eat something it wont harm you. But when you eat that amount of food than it is up to you to fight for some discipline.

95069916.png
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Is your period due in the next 10 days? This is very common for me (unfortunately) to be hungry all the time up to 10 days before my period, and I still haven't found a way to stop it, short of eating way too much. And it lasts a week now. The good news is that it's one week out of 4, I guess.

My only advice is to try as much as possible to make better choices...
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member

I can't speak to your "natural body system," but being guided by mine led to 40 extra pounds.

Agree. Mine lead to 100 extra. I am not at the point of being able to trust my hunger cues. Some days are harder than others. I find that when I am stressed out or angry or close to TOM, I want to eat everything that resembles food. Fortunately with time it has improved. Building coping strategies has helped.

OP, are you noticing this just on the weekends? Is there a hobby you could get into that would distract you? Could you eat a little less throughout the week and save those calories for the weekend, so you still have a net deficit, but have the extra when you would like it?
  • janejellyroll
    Regarding the weekends: if I don't distract myself with hobbies and activities, I could easily eat all day long. The routine of working days is much easier. Not having the regular cues of the working day throws me off.

I just eat what I planned and drink extra water. I will "feel" hungry, but I know I'm fine.
  • star1407
    star1407 Posts: 588 Member
    Pregnant??
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Still waiting for basic stats.

OP sounds like she has a high activity level and I'd like to see her average calorie intake. This may be a matter of tending to eat too little and ending up binging because of it.
  • kiara1066
    kiara1066 Posts: 119 Member
    You should see a doctor and ask about why you feel the need to eat all day. I eat about 1200-1500 for the whole day.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Do you have coffee or anything with breakfast? A huge cup of a nice (low calorie?!) drink you sip on for minutes or hours may help extend that meal and keep you eating/drinking/full longer. Try to formulate meals consisting of items that are satisfying to you, so you feel like aaahhhh after a yummy meal and kind of savor it a little haha
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Hmm, how long have you been counting calories? The reason why I ask is because you said you're 5'1" and have a petite frame which I take to mean as you possibly being within a normal weight range but trying to lose a few vanity pounds. Is your weight loss goal too aggressive? If so, that could be a reason for the hunger also.

I'm 5'3.5" and 114 and you sound like me in mid-December. There was one week where no matter what I did I could not stop feeling hungry. I normally did fine on my daily allowance of 1600 to 2200 calories depending on my activity level, but that week hunger was just at the forefront of my life. I was eating 3000 to 3500 calories per day easily. I figured my body was telling me something so I went with it and ended up maintaining my weight for a week or two instead of gaining. Then the insatiable appetite just stopped. It went back to normal and now I'm losing weight at a slow and steady pace again.
  • johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member

Not nice that i say this i know. But look at your amount of food...just look at it. Do you really think it is normal to eat that much? Fight your "hunger" feeling.