still hungry after 1500 calorie breakfast, what am i doing wrong?

Options

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    synacious wrote: »
    Hmm, how long have you been counting calories? The reason why I ask is because you said you're 5'1" and have a petite frame which I take to mean as you possibly being within a normal weight range but trying to lose a few vanity pounds. Is your weight loss goal too aggressive? If so, that could be a reason for the hunger also.

I'm 5'3.5" and 114 and you sound like me in mid-December. There was one week where no matter what I did I could not stop feeling hungry. I normally did fine on my daily allowance of 1600 to 2200 calories depending on my activity level, but that week hunger was just at the forefront of my life. I was eating 3000 to 3500 calories per day easily. I figured my body was telling me something so I went with it and ended up maintaining my weight for a week or two instead of gaining. Then the insatiable appetite just stopped. It went back to normal and now I'm losing weight at a slow and steady pace again.

Thank you. This is exactly what I'm getting at. Maybe your post can help the OP.
  • 0305bp
    0305bp Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Sometimes you need to just ignore "hunger", because it really is easy to confuse with other feelings, not just thurst, but sometimes when my stomach is very acidic or hurts it seems like hunger, as does general anxiousty. If you have eaten a reasonable amount of food, then it's probably not hunger that you are feeling and piling more on isn't likely to fix it.

If it really is just insatiable hunger I like to eat high protein brothy veggie/egg soups, drink lots of water (or a naturally sweet tea like the good earth tea if it's a sweet craving) or up my caffeine a bit with coffee which help suppress appetite.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Hmm, how long have you been counting calories? The reason why I ask is because you said you're 5'1" and have a petite frame which I take to mean as you possibly being within a normal weight range but trying to lose a few vanity pounds. Is your weight loss goal too aggressive? If so, that could be a reason for the hunger also.

I'm 5'3.5" and 114 and you sound like me in mid-December. There was one week where no matter what I did I could not stop feeling hungry. I normally did fine on my daily allowance of 1600 to 2200 calories depending on my activity level, but that week hunger was just at the forefront of my life. I was eating 3000 to 3500 calories per day easily. I figured my body was telling me something so I went with it and ended up maintaining my weight for a week or two instead of gaining. Then the insatiable appetite just stopped. It went back to normal and now I'm losing weight at a slow and steady pace again.

This is what I get every month before my period. I'm very active too though, so who knows.
  • ldowdesw
    ldowdesw Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I'm relatively new, so feel free to take my advice with a pinch of salt, however I don't see any drinks listed. When I get the feeling that my tummy will never be satisfied, I have learned that I could eat 6,000 calories and probably still keep going so I start drinking. I drink the kids sugar free squash because water isn't my favourite, and I also make myself 2 big cups of coffee, milky and loads of sweetener. It actually makes me feel like I'm drinking treacle by the end of it, but for around 40 calories it hits my tummy hard and fast. In fact it makes me not want to move which is perfect because I can't be bothered to walk to the fridge xx
  • acarpenter6
    acarpenter6 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    star1407 wrote: »
    Pregnant??

I didn't want to say it lol
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I had to learn to wait some time after a meal to figure out if I was actually hungry.

It was a bad habit to keep grazing on whatever I could find before letting my brain catch up to my stomach saying "no more." Then I'd be so full I'd feel ill.

Wait a bit after your planned meal.

That all said, if I have exercised extensively the previous day, hiking or when I was doing a lot of strength training, I'm ravenous. I still make myself wait between "courses (lol)" to make sure it is hunger and not habit or boredom.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Instead of doing 5 to 6 meals a day, why don' t you do 3 really big meals. When I eat small meals, I always have the need to eat and I am never full. Also, I would try to add more volume foods: instead of 3 eggs, have 1 eggs and 3 egg whites; eat more veggies, especially very low calorie ones like cucumber, carrots, dark leafy greens, etc....

• Miss_Krissy87
    Miss_Krissy87 Posts: 214 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    How much water do you drink? I try to drink a gallon of water a day. It keeps me from feeling hungry. Water is an important part of weight loss and just your overall health in general!!
  • 3AAnn3
    3AAnn3 Posts: 3,054 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

This is what I get every month before my period. I'm very active too though, so who knows.

On day 2 of my period, I eat all day long. I literally have hunger pains and it's near impossible to stop. It's one day a month and I know it's coming. I just go with it. I honestly think my body needs it. The next day, I'm back to normal.
  • Francl27
    Options
    3AAnn3 wrote: »

On day 2 of my period, I eat all day long. I literally have hunger pains and it's near impossible to stop. It's one day a month and I know it's coming. I just go with it. I honestly think my body needs it. The next day, I'm back to normal.

Yeah that's the worst day for me too, lol. Then it stops and I'm finally back to normal for a couple weeks!
  • chulipa
    chulipa Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    Eat high fiber and protien at each meal and i drink lots of liquid like diet soda or water it realy helps me stay full
  • Larissa_NY
    Larissa_NY Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Well I don't need to feel full but I felt hungry and I hate that feeling. Is it supposed to be like that? I was trying to let my natural body system guide me to eat until j was full if I am eating healthy and I Feel like I am doing something wrong

If you want to let your "natural body system" guide you, fine, but that means you have to let go of whatever emotional issues you have about feeling hungry. You ate 1400 calories for breakfast, with an enormous volume of food. Nobody physically needs to eat that much.

Being hungry is not some terrible thing. It's just another bodily sensation, like having to use the bathroom. No one exactly lives for bathroom time, but nobody's on the toilet every fifteen minutes to make sure they never have to feel like their bladder's full, either. If they were, you would probably think that was pretty odd behavior, and yet here you are eating 1400 calories at a time so you don't have to feel like your stomach might not be full. Whatever it is that's making you do that, that right there is what you're doing wrong.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    Your "natural body system" is a liar.

Of course you feel too sluggish to exercise...you ate a day-and-a-half worth of calories in a single sitting!

I think that you need to get real with yourself and exercise some discipline.

38829637f334e627c0ed5bb3fe020361.jpg
  • 3AAnn3
    3AAnn3 Posts: 3,054 Member
    Options

Of course you feel too sluggish to exercise...you ate a day-and-a-half worth of calories in a single sitting!

A day and a half worth? Are you suggesting she should eat 900 calories a day?
  • Linnaea27
    Linnaea27 Posts: 639 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Have you either been working on losing weight steadily for a while, or are you possibly recovering from an eating disorder? Both these things can sometimes make one desperately hungry and inclined to eat hugely. (on top of previous posters' suggestions of TOM hunger or possible pregnancy).

I believe in the case of a person recovering from an eating disorder, it is OK to eat like this for a short time to heal the body.
  • Francl27
    Options

How do you even know that she's bored and not hungry? Are you in her shoes?

It's so easy to judge when you have no idea what someone is actually going through. It amazes me how people are so fast to call OP a liar instead of even considering that *maybe* they are actually hungry.
  • JShailen
    JShailen Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    You aren't necessarily doing anything wrong. We all have hungry days. It's the context of the week/month that matters.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

How do you even know that she's bored and not hungry? Are you in her shoes?

It's so easy to judge when you have no idea what someone is actually going through. It amazes me how people are so fast to call OP a liar instead of even considering that *maybe* they are actually hungry.

Exactly. That post was unnecessary, honestly. On the first page, I posted that I went through something like this for one week back in December. So I was bored that week despite my normal active lifestyle on top of exercising six days per week? Yeah, sorry, I don't think so. Since 1500 is apparently a day and a half worth of calories (lol..no), I can't believe I actually maintained my weight when I consumed double that the one week I was very hungry. It couldn't possibly be that my TDEE is higher than I thought and my body was telling me I needed food.

OP could be binging/restricting which explains the hunger, but then they'll come back and see that post and the only thing they'll take away from this entire thread is "I'm not hungry. I'm just bored. Just gotta keep sipping water" and they'll end up putting themselves in the hospital because they have an unhealthy relationship with food.
  • jnunez1963
    jnunez1963 Posts: 35 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Well, /applause to those who already said it! I agree, your weekly goals may be too restrictive, you may be going through a hormonal surge, you may just need a day of indulgence. Were you craving something in particular, so you ate your daily usual food trying to avoid it? So many good responses already.

When I was growing up, Sunday breakfast was a big thing. My mother would fry a whole pound of bacon, mix up waffle batter, setting the egg whites aside, stick the glass container of Log Cabin syrup into a pot of boiling water (there were no microwaves!), pour the bacon grease into the batter and mix, then beat the egg whites into peaks and gently fold them into the batter with a spatula. Then she would crumble the bacon, and when the metal waffle iron heated up, take a cube of butter with the paper partially pulled down and rub the griddles, then sprinkle crumbled bacon on the bottom griddle and slowly ladle the batter as not to displace it. When the waffles were crisp, she served us each a hot waffle, butter melted on top, liberally drenched in piping hot syrup, with a sunnyside fried egg on top. With a glass of ice cold whole milk.

Not being quite that industrious, I sometimes whip up a modified butter free buckwheat batter and make 2 pancakes, 2 slices of bacon, and use real syrup as a treat on Sundays. The breakfast I make is about 550 calories but it really fends off the craving, and subsequent overindulgence.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    Nobody *actually* needs a 1500 calorie breakfast. That is insane unless you are doing an ultramarathon or similar.

The OP is tiny. She would probably be more than fine on 1000-1200 calories/day if she were eating in a reasonable way.

I am nearly a foot taller, very active, and I often eat in that range--without feeling hungry at all.

Some people are just gluttons and it is purely a mental health issue. Maybe the solution is to get out of the house, stop thinking about food and DO something productive that doesn't involve eating.