Options

Replies

• T0M_K
    T0M_K Posts: 7,526 Member
    Options
    Tomk652015 wrote: »
    Grass fed i would think has to be cheaper for the farmer and what...costs more in the store? win win not that i'd begrudge income to the farmers of the world.

I doubt many farmers make more money from grass fed. The grain feed usually comes after the cattle are sold. It would limit what the farmer can feed the cattle though. Not sure if increases cost for them or not.

There is a lot of labor and equipment to raise adequate grain to feed a herd of cattle. throwing one in the front lawn next to the chickens seems cheaper :)

If only that was how it worked. Many cattle ranchers have to grow or buy something like hay to supplement grass. Cows need a lot of room to graze.

i was almost gonna stop and buy one on my way home tonight. *sigh*

Pick up chickens instead.

I do eat cage free eggs...."ponders"...."googles for chicken farmers close by"
  • T0M_K
    Options
    Grass fed i would think has to be cheaper for the farmer and what...costs more in the store? win win not that i'd begrudge income to the farmers of the world.

I doubt many farmers make more money from grass fed. The grain feed usually comes after the cattle are sold. It would limit what the farmer can feed the cattle though. Not sure if increases cost for them or not.

There is a lot of labor and equipment to raise adequate grain to feed a herd of cattle. throwing one in the front lawn next to the chickens seems cheaper :)

If only that was how it worked. Many cattle ranchers have to grow or buy something like hay to supplement grass. Cows need a lot of room to graze.

well...i eat eggs from cage free chickens to be more precise.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options

I hate to see poor eggs caged up. :cry:
  • T0M_K
    Options

I hate to see poor eggs caged up. :cry:

they'd be hard to handle in the grocery store if not caged up together.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    srecupid wrote: »
    Just watched cowspiracy on netflix. It may taste different but, you should really see how much land would be needed for the entire world to eat grass fed beef. In fact its' kinda scary about meat and feeding the entire population in general.

Chickens take far less space!

chickens eat grass?

Absolutely they do. Not only, but yes.

They are omnivores like most birds but industrial farming has really perverted their diets just like cattle shouldn't be eating grains as their primary source of nutrition. Oh, fun fact, apparently chickens are the closest living relatives of the T-Rex, who knew? :)
  • T0M_K
    Options
    well duh! :smiley:
  • mean_and_lean
    mean_and_lean Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Honestly I always think people who say grass fed tastes better are just buying into marketing or the idea that it's better for me so I should like it better.

Actually it does taste better. My husband and I went in on a quarter cow last year. Grass fed, no antibiotics, no hormones and it is hands down the best beef I have ever tasted. It even smells different. We got ground beef for burgers and have had friends and family eat them and even they agree that the burgers were like nothing they ever had. The meat tastes so much better than what you get at a store -- even the beef labeled "grass fed".
  • mean_and_lean
    mean_and_lean Posts: 164 Member
    Options

If you're getting them from the store they're not exactly "cage free". Sure they might be able to wander around a little bit but if you're thinking that they're running around a yard willy-nilly, free as a bird, then you're mistaken.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    Just watched cowspiracy on netflix. It may taste different but, you should really see how much land would be needed for the entire world to eat grass fed beef. In fact its' kinda scary about meat and feeding the entire population in general.

chickens eat grass?

They are omnivores like most birds but industrial farming has really perverted their diets just like cattle shouldn't be eating grains as their primary source of nutrition. Oh, fun fact, apparently chickens are the closest living relatives of the T-Rex, who knew? :)

Yes, I guess I should have said they will eat grass. Not all chickens do, unfortunately.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    Honestly I always think people who say grass fed tastes better are just buying into marketing or the idea that it's better for me so I should like it better.

Actually it does taste better. My husband and I went in on a quarter cow last year. Grass fed, no antibiotics, no hormones and it is hands down the best beef I have ever tasted. It even smells different. We got ground beef for burgers and have had friends and family eat them and even they agree that the burgers were like nothing they ever had. The meat tastes so much better than what you get at a store -- even the beef labeled "grass fed".

It does taste and smell different. Better is an opinion.

But it sounds like you are talking about the difference between fresh vs. store bought. That is a different subject.
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options

chickens eat grass?

Yes, I guess I should have said they will eat grass. Not all chickens do, unfortunately.

Chickens and turkeys are awesome to watch. Very inquisitive animals. It is not uncommon for a turkey to wander up beside me in the garden and stand there waiting for me to drop a tomato or they just tip their heads to the side and watch as if they are learning something new. Ours free range so I am likely to have to look for them a free times a week. The eat: my garden(primarily I think some days), all sorts of bugs(they will actually line up around the outside of my house and catch spiders and crickets trying to get in), peelings from our veggies and lots of other scraps but they hate citrus, they will steal dog food and run as if their lives depend on it(our dogs do not chase chickens), they eat seeds of all kinds, rocks if I have not filled up their oyster shell bowl in time, they actually catch and fight over garden snakes, if they find something dead they will pick at it, and when they are bored of scouring the yard for yummy things they go back to the barn and eat their feed. They will even eat their own eggs. Usually this happens when they are lacking something in their diets or stressed. That is why I change up the mix often, but corn, flax, barley, wheat, oats, rye, and chicken vitamins all get rotated into the mix and out of the mix depending on time of year and how much they seem to be laying or how fast I assess their growth for the meat birds and turkeys.

Just FYI for anyone wondering about what chicken like.
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I try to buy grassfed and pastured meat. I've always heard that grassfed meat has a higher CLA content and a higher omega 3 : omega 6 ratio. Plus, I think it tastes better and the animals are much more likely to have been humanely raised and killed. I use every part of the meat I buy (even down to boiling the bones for stock,) so I like to make sure that the animals weren't given any antibiotics or growth hormones, and grassfed/pastured animals usually aren't administered any of either.
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    a lot of the time grass fed means they get to graze/be outside more the other cows so I like that. I also like whole foods step program that lets you know the quality of care the animals gey from like horrible to pasture raised. Luckily here in San Diego we have local organic pasture chicken and cows. so we are spoiled. My mom buys a whole organic cow and basicall lives off of it forever lol.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    edited January 2016
    Options

Or, it's getting better. While the USDA has stopped certifying grass fed, the AGA (American Grassfed Assoc) is still certifying, and it's standards are higher and more in line with what a lot of people think of when they think grassfed.

http://www.americangrassfed.org/about-us/our-standards/
    Diet — Animals are fed only grass and forage from weaning until harvest.
    Confinement — Animals are raised on pasture without confinement to feedlots.
    Antibiotics and hormones — Animals are never treated with antibiotics or growth hormones.
    Origin — All animals are born and raised on American family farms.

The USDA certified the first in that list only.
  • Wheelhouse15
    edited January 2016
    Options

Or, it's getting better. While the USDA has stopped certifying grass fed, the AGA (American Grassfed Assoc) is still certifying, and it's standards are higher and more in line with what a lot of people think of when they think grassfed.

Antibiotics and hormones — Animals are never treated with antibiotics or growth hormones.

Side note, I get a kick out of A&W in Canada trumpeting the fact that it's meat is raised without hormones. Anyone with any clue knows that Canada does not allow beef cattle to be raised with hormone treatments. I noticed they avoided saying without non-medical antibiotic use however. I believe the guidelines you site still allow for medical use of antibiotics.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

chickens eat grass?

Chickens and turkeys are awesome to watch. Very inquisitive animals. It is not uncommon for a turkey to wander up beside me in the garden and stand there waiting for me to drop a tomato or they just tip their heads to the side and watch as if they are learning something new. Ours free range so I am likely to have to look for them a free times a week. The eat: my garden(primarily I think some days), all sorts of bugs(they will actually line up around the outside of my house and catch spiders and crickets trying to get in), peelings from our veggies and lots of other scraps but they hate citrus, they will steal dog food and run as if their lives depend on it(our dogs do not chase chickens), they eat seeds of all kinds, rocks if I have not filled up their oyster shell bowl in time, they actually catch and fight over garden snakes, if they find something dead they will pick at it, and when they are bored of scouring the yard for yummy things they go back to the barn and eat their feed. They will even eat their own eggs. Usually this happens when they are lacking something in their diets or stressed. That is why I change up the mix often, but corn, flax, barley, wheat, oats, rye, and chicken vitamins all get rotated into the mix and out of the mix depending on time of year and how much they seem to be laying or how fast I assess their growth for the meat birds and turkeys.

Just FYI for anyone wondering about what chicken like.

Chickens are a lot like hogs in that they will eat just about anything that doesn't try to eat them first.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

Side note, I get a kick out of A&W in Canada trumpeting the fact that it's meat is raised without hormones. Anyone with any clue knows that Canada does not allow beef cattle to be raised with hormone treatments. I noticed they avoided saying without non-medical antibiotic use however. I believe the guidelines you site still allow for medical use of antibiotics.

Actually, medical antibiotics are not allowed. From the AGA link above:
    ANIMAL HEALTH AND WELFARE
    Mineral and vitamin supplements may be provided free choice to adjust the animals’ nutrient intake and to correct deficiencies in the total diet energy source. The feeding of animal by-products is prohibited, and no antibiotics, ionophores, or hormones of any type may be administered. Any animal in need of medical attention must be treated to relieve its symptoms. If prohibited medication or antibiotics are required for treatment, the animal must be tagged, identified, and removed from the certified grassfed program. Producers will develop and maintain a written record of all vaccines, medications, and/or other substances used in their animal health care program.

You see similar labels re: hormones on chicken and pork in the US all the time, even though hormones are prohibited for use on poultry and pork here.
  • Wheelhouse15
    edited January 2016
    Options

Actually, medical antibiotics are not allowed. From the AGA link above:
    ANIMAL HEALTH AND WELFARE
    Mineral and vitamin supplements may be provided free choice to adjust the animals’ nutrient intake and to correct deficiencies in the total diet energy source. The feeding of animal by-products is prohibited, and no antibiotics, ionophores, or hormones of any type may be administered. Any animal in need of medical attention must be treated to relieve its symptoms. If prohibited medication or antibiotics are required for treatment, the animal must be tagged, identified, and removed from the certified grassfed program. Producers will develop and maintain a written record of all vaccines, medications, and/or other substances used in their animal health care program.

You see similar labels re: hormones on chicken and pork in the US all the time, even though hormones are prohibited for use on poultry and pork here.

Interesting that is so strict on use of antibiotics, but I imagine that's more for marketing or to prevent lying about the reason for use than it is for any reason of taint or qualilty. I don't think hormones are particularly an issue for me but antibiotic use for growth enhancement purposes is insane and should be illegal since it's destroying our ability to fend off diseases.