Grass fed vs. commercially raised

Options
123457»

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options

Or, it's getting better. While the USDA has stopped certifying grass fed, the AGA (American Grassfed Assoc) is still certifying, and it's standards are higher and more in line with what a lot of people think of when they think grassfed.

http://www.americangrassfed.org/about-us/our-standards/
    Diet — Animals are fed only grass and forage from weaning until harvest.
    Confinement — Animals are raised on pasture without confinement to feedlots.
    Antibiotics and hormones — Animals are never treated with antibiotics or growth hormones.
    Origin — All animals are born and raised on American family farms.

The USDA certified the first in that list only.

Side note, I get a kick out of A&W in Canada trumpeting the fact that it's meat is raised without hormones. Anyone with any clue knows that Canada does not allow beef cattle to be raised with hormone treatments. I noticed they avoided saying without non-medical antibiotic use however. I believe the guidelines you site still allow for medical use of antibiotics.

Actually, medical antibiotics are not allowed. From the AGA link above:
    ANIMAL HEALTH AND WELFARE
    Mineral and vitamin supplements may be provided free choice to adjust the animals’ nutrient intake and to correct deficiencies in the total diet energy source. The feeding of animal by-products is prohibited, and no antibiotics, ionophores, or hormones of any type may be administered. Any animal in need of medical attention must be treated to relieve its symptoms. If prohibited medication or antibiotics are required for treatment, the animal must be tagged, identified, and removed from the certified grassfed program. Producers will develop and maintain a written record of all vaccines, medications, and/or other substances used in their animal health care program.

You see similar labels re: hormones on chicken and pork in the US all the time, even though hormones are prohibited for use on poultry and pork here.

Interesting that is so strict on use of antibiotics, but I imagine that's more for marketing or to prevent lying about the reason for use than it is for any reason of taint or quality. I don't think hormones are particularly an issue for me but antibiotic use for growth enhancement purposes is insane and should be illegal since it's destroying our ability to fend off diseases.

Agree on both points.
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Grain fed does taste better! And a cupcake tastes better than a small apple. Fries taste better than half a plain baked potato. Soda tastes better than water. Taste isn't every, folks. Learn to love the food that loves you back.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    cbelc2 wrote: »
    Grain fed does taste better! And a cupcake tastes better than a small apple. Fries taste better than half a plain baked potato. Soda tastes better than water. Taste isn't every, folks. Learn to love the food that loves you back.

What tastes better will vary from person to person. I prefer the taste of grain fed beef, though I'm down with the more humane growing practices of the AGA. I've also had many cupcakes that I'd gladly trade for a good tart apple. And I don't like soda at all.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

What tastes better will vary from person to person.

Yes.
  • hopeandtheabsurd
    hopeandtheabsurd Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Yes.

It occurs to me that I've never really tried grass vs. grain fed in a side by side test. I went to grassfed for ethical and health reasons, and worried that it would be terrible because many places tout "grain fed" as a selling point for their beef so I assumed that meant better. Thankfully, I was pleasantly surprised (though at first I did have to add a bit more garlic, which is my go-to when things seem weird). I've been served many cupcakes and fries that were gross enough that I just threw them away (store bought cupcakes and any fries more than 5 minutes old I'm looking at you!), and nothing worse than soda on a long hike (found that out the hard way, blech). I agree that it is worth some effort to try to learn to like food that (g)you feel would make (g)your diet healthier, some people would rather just not eat beef, or it doesn't really matter to them enough to warrant a change.
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Yes.

It occurs to me that I've never really tried grass vs. grain fed in a side by side test. I went to grassfed for ethical and health reasons, and worried that it would be terrible because many places tout "grain fed" as a selling point for their beef so I assumed that meant better. Thankfully, I was pleasantly surprised (though at first I did have to add a bit more garlic, which is my go-to when things seem weird). I've been served many cupcakes and fries that were gross enough that I just threw them away (store bought cupcakes and any fries more than 5 minutes old I'm looking at you!), and nothing worse than soda on a long hike (found that out the hard way, blech). I agree that it is worth some effort to try to learn to like food that (g)you feel would make (g)your diet healthier, some people would rather just not eat beef, or it doesn't really matter to them enough to warrant a change.

I've compared grain-fed ground sirloin to grass-fed ground sirloin before several times. Honestly, the grain-fed sirloin tastes like pennies to me. And it's chewy. I hate it. Grass-fed tastes like actual meat and is more tender.