Good calories vs bad calories

Options

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Tomk652015 wrote: »
    I would expect the OP would want to opt for a diet higher in proteins and carbs from fruit and vegetables. Every one would most likely agree that the less processed foods the better for weight "healthy" weight loss.

I tend to agree with the gentlemen who indicated that if the OP ate a calorie deficit of junk food he/she or anyone for that matter would end up a skinny "fat" person. Yes a calorie is a calorie and a deficit is a deficit but a low calorie diet of calorie loaded unhealthy foods would be one where a trip to McDonald's could use up half or more of your calorie goal. Because that unhealthy food will soon be gone and has done little to nothing to provide your body with its needed nutrition, you are now faced with the balance of the day with a low amount of calories to eat and no ability to get proper nutrition.

As you lose the weight if you can stick with it which I trust you will, you won't be happy IMO with how your body responds to a diet of "empty" calories....especially at a deficit.

Wish you the best, this is NOT an easy transition to make. Maybe an approach is lessening the junk food to once a day or something and easing your way towards healthy choices which your body will love you for.

"disclaimer" :D This is just my opinion and is not meant to elicit a firestorm of people telling me how stupid I am :wink:

I wouldn't agree. Some processed foods fit very well into a weight loss plan. I ate canned tomatoes, frozen broccoli, tofu, seitan, protein powder, rolled oats, roasted nuts, and dried beans regularly when I was losing weight. I don't agree that I would have been healthier or lost weight faster if I had eliminated these items. I know I'm not the only person who has experienced successful weight loss while including many processed foods in my diet.

I don't know if anybody is going to tell you that you're stupid -- I do think that dividing foods into "processed - bad" and "unprocessed -- good" is an over-simplification and one that isn't very useful for weight loss purposes.

Seems like you might be mixing the apples with the oranges. The post was about junk/unhealthy food and only once used the term processed food. I doubt many people would put "canned tomatoes, frozen broccoli, tofu, seitan, protein powder, rolled oats, roasted nuts, and dried beans" in the category of junk food or unhealthy food.

I was responding to this statement: "Every one would most likely agree that the less processed foods the better for weight 'healthy' weight loss."

I don't agree the less processed foods the better for healthy weight loss. I think processed foods can be a great advantage for those trying to lose weight and maintain or regain health.

I agree that most people wouldn't put the foods I mentioned in the category of junk food or unhealthy food, which is why it doesn't make sense to demonize processed food or say that we should eat less of it if we want to be healthy or lose weight.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I would expect the OP would want to opt for a diet higher in proteins and carbs from fruit and vegetables. Every one would most likely agree that the less processed foods the better for weight "healthy" weight loss.

I tend to agree with the gentlemen who indicated that if the OP ate a calorie deficit of junk food he/she or anyone for that matter would end up a skinny "fat" person. Yes a calorie is a calorie and a deficit is a deficit but a low calorie diet of calorie loaded unhealthy foods would be one where a trip to McDonald's could use up half or more of your calorie goal. Because that unhealthy food will soon be gone and has done little to nothing to provide your body with its needed nutrition, you are now faced with the balance of the day with a low amount of calories to eat and no ability to get proper nutrition.

As you lose the weight if you can stick with it which I trust you will, you won't be happy IMO with how your body responds to a diet of "empty" calories....especially at a deficit.

Wish you the best, this is NOT an easy transition to make. Maybe an approach is lessening the junk food to once a day or something and easing your way towards healthy choices which your body will love you for.

"disclaimer" :D This is just my opinion and is not meant to elicit a firestorm of people telling me how stupid I am :wink:

I wouldn't agree. Some processed foods fit very well into a weight loss plan. I ate canned tomatoes, frozen broccoli, tofu, seitan, protein powder, rolled oats, roasted nuts, and dried beans regularly when I was losing weight. I don't agree that I would have been healthier or lost weight faster if I had eliminated these items. I know I'm not the only person who has experienced successful weight loss while including many processed foods in my diet.

I don't know if anybody is going to tell you that you're stupid -- I do think that dividing foods into "processed - bad" and "unprocessed -- good" is an over-simplification and one that isn't very useful for weight loss purposes.

Seems like you might be mixing the apples with the oranges. The post was about junk/unhealthy food and only once used the term processed food. I doubt many people would put "canned tomatoes, frozen broccoli, tofu, seitan, protein powder, rolled oats, roasted nuts, and dried beans" in the category of junk food or unhealthy food.

I was responding to this statement: "Every one would most likely agree that the less processed foods the better for weight 'healthy' weight loss."

I don't agree the less processed foods the better for healthy weight loss. I think processed foods can be a great advantage for those trying to lose weight and maintain or regain health.

I agree that most people wouldn't put the foods I mentioned in the category of junk food or unhealthy food, which is why it doesn't make sense to demonize processed food or say that we should eat less of it if we want to be healthy or lose weight.

Do you think that's what the post was doing? Demonizing nuts and beans and protein powder?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    Omg I officially dislike this app and the poor advice that people on here give. There is more to weight loss than just the number on the scale. Body composition is only determined by the foods you eat. You can lose weight by a calorie deficit but you will not be toned, shredded etc. You will be skinny fat if you eat crap food. Please refer to this link to better understand why what you eat is just as important as how much you eat. You have to be in deficit to lose weight, but you have to have a well balanced diet to lose fat instead of muscle.

http://comfortpit.com/the-truth-about-calories/
    Not everybody wants to be a shredded bodybuilder. Broscience isn't strong on this site. Getbig and bodybuilding.com................yes.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    I officially dislike your advice which consistently seems to imply that protein is all you need to preserve LBM in defecit in exclusion of any progressive resistance programme

protein is a wonderful macro

most here talk about hitting nutritional goals

Please refer to the article I posted and stop trying to argue with me. I'm only trying to help people and steer them away from misinformation.
    With broscience. Makes sense.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• janejellyroll
    edited January 2016
    Options

Do you think that's what the post was doing? Demonizing nuts and beans and protein powder?

When someone says "the less processed foods the better," I assume they are saying the less processed foods one eats, the better off one will be. If that wasn't what was meant, then there is an opportunity for better communication.

I disagree with that statement, for the reasons that I mentioned. I don't agree the less dried beans I eat, the better off I'll be. I don't agree the less frozen broccoli I eat, the better I'll be. I don't agree the less miso I eat, the better off I'll be.

• ninerbuff
    Options
    Omg I officially dislike this app and the poor advice that people on here give. There is more to weight loss than just the number on the scale. Body composition is only determined by the foods you eat. You can lose weight by a calorie deficit but you will not be toned, shredded etc. You will be skinny fat if you eat crap food. Please refer to this link to better understand why what you eat is just as important as how much you eat. You have to be in deficit to lose weight, but you have to have a well balanced diet to lose fat instead of muscle.

http://comfortpit.com/the-truth-about-calories/

Body composition is not only determined by the foods you eat. Have you seen a 5% bf bodybuilder who never did any training?
    Kevin Levrone? :D

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options

There is no such thing as "unhealthy" food. There is food that's either nutrient dense or not. If one is meeting their macro/micro profiles, they aren't making themselves "unhealthy" by involving a candy bar in their daily diet if it doesn't exceed their calorie intake.
    Personally I have junk food at least 2 times a week and maybe more. I'd NOT be viewed as a skinny fat person.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options
    I officially dislike your advice which consistently seems to imply that protein is all you need to preserve LBM in defecit in exclusion of any progressive resistance programme

protein is a wonderful macro

most here talk about hitting nutritional goals

Please refer to the article I posted and stop trying to argue with me. I'm only trying to help people and steer them away from misinformation.

I'm not trying to argue with you - I'm pointing out the fallacy in your claim that a macro will preserve muscle tissue in isolation

and heck no .. I gave up reading derp blogs when I found scholar.google.com
    Lol, actually there's not much to argue about.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• HeidiThe9
    HeidiThe9 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Here is how I think about this scenario.

Lets say on a 1200 calorie diet you eat nothing but snickers bars. Yes you would most likely weigh less, but you would feel like crap. And eating nothing but 4.8 candy bars a day would most likely leave you still hungry, and make you more likely to binge on even more crap, which makes you feel bad about yourself, so you eat even more crap food to cheer yourself up. A vicious cycle.

Now on that same 1200 calories, you eat nothing but boiled chicken breast and steamed broccoli. That's close to a pound of lean protein, and around 4 pounds of plant based nutrients. You will be much more satisfied and energized. Bored to tears, but not hungry.

So yes, a calorie is a calorie. But don't be an idiot. Your diet is your diet for life. Choose to fuel your body in a sustainable and responsible manner and it will treat you well.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    HeidiThe9 wrote: »

Lets say on a 1200 calorie diet you eat nothing but snickers bars. Yes you would most likely weigh less, but you would feel like crap. And eating nothing but 4.8 candy bars a day would most likely leave you still hungry, and make you more likely to binge on even more crap, which makes you feel bad about yourself, so you eat even more crap food to cheer yourself up. A vicious cycle.

Now on that same 1200 calories, you eat nothing but boiled chicken breast and steamed broccoli. That's close to a pound of lean protein, and around 4 pounds of plant based nutrients. You will be much more satisfied and energized. Bored to tears, but not hungry.

So yes, a calorie is a calorie. But don't be an idiot. Your diet is your diet for life. Choose to fuel your body in a sustainable and responsible manner and it will treat you well.

To be honest, neither of those plans (only Snickers or only boiled chicken and steamed broccoli) sounds very sustainable.

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

To be honest, neither of those plans (only Snickers or only boiled chicken and steamed broccoli) sounds very sustainable.

Agreed.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

And of course people are definitely eating nothing but Snickers bars for their diet. :/
    The point being that "a" Snickers bar can be PART of a diet plan and weight loss can still occur.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• HeidiThe9
    HeidiThe9 Posts: 48 Member
    Options

I was just using these as simple examples to make the math easier. Bad food tends to be very calorie dense and not filling, good food tends to have a very low calorie to mass ratio. Feel free to sub in any lean protein, plant matter, and complex carbs you wish.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

I was just using these as simple examples to make the math easier. Bad food tends to be very calorie dense and not filling, good food tends to have a very low calorie to mass ratio. Feel free to sub in any lean protein, plant matter, and complex carbs you wish.

How about a diet that's varied and not just 1-2 things all day every day?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

When someone says "the less processed foods the better," I assume they are saying the less processed foods one eats, the better off one will be. If that wasn't what was meant, then there is an opportunity for better communication.

I disagree with that statement, for the reasons that I mentioned. I don't agree the less dried beans I eat, the better off I'll be. I don't agree the less frozen broccoli I eat, the better I'll be. I don't agree the less miso I eat, the better off I'll be.

I can't tell if you are being purposely obtuse, didn't read past the first sentence before responding or are serious. I don't see how anyone could read that whole post about "unhealthy" "junk" food and McD and think it had anything to do with broccoli and beans. I think you jest.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

"Bad food" tends to be very calorie dense and not filling? Do you mean there are "bad foods" that aren't calorie dense? Or that are filling?

I'm not sure what you mean by "bad food," but I think I disagree that chocolate is an example of it.

Calorie to mass ratio is one valuable piece of data to consider when planning our diets. But I think using it as a tool to determine "goodness" or "badness" of a food can lead us to some weird places.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

How about a diet that's varied and not just 1-2 things all day every day?

You must be new here. ;)
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

It's never that simple though. Nuts, for example, have a high calorie to mass ratio but are still a good healthy addition to most diets. Balance is the key. A little junk isn't going to ruin my diet or health.
  • T0M_K
    T0M_K Posts: 7,526 Member
    Options
    Well i'm new here and I guess some people just want to argue and post rebuttals on sentences instead of the post as a whole so with that....I bow out...with only saying that I stand behind what I said above as it was it considerate advice that I believe is in the best overall interest of anyone on a path towards better health. I'll take the high road and allow those to each have their opinions and let the OP to weed though for their own on their road to a healthier leaner person.

Best wishes. :)
  • janejellyroll
    edited January 2016
    Options

I can't tell if you are being purposely obtuse, didn't read past the first sentence before responding or are serious. I don't see how anyone could read that whole post about "unhealthy" "junk" food and McD and think it had anything to do with broccoli and beans. I think you jest.

I read the entire post and I indicated the part that I was responding to. Do you agree the less processed foods the better? If you do, we can just agree to disagree. If you agree with me -- that processed foods can be a valuable part of a healthy diet -- I'm not quite sure what you're wanting to discuss.

Sometimes when responding to a longer post, someone will pull out a specific part they agree or disagree with to discuss. It's a fairly standard part of online communication. Because a specific part is pulled out, going back over sections that aren't called out may not be particularly useful. Since I mentioned the specific part of the post that I disagreed with (the part about processed food), I'm not sure what the rest of the post has to do with it.

So let me be clearer: When I wrote "I was responding to this statement" and then quoted a specific part of the statement, I meant that I was responding to that statement. If you want to discuss the rest of the post, maybe you could find someone who is interested in doing that. I am interested in discussing the statement that we will be better off the less processed food we eat.

You think I'm mixing apples with oranges, but I think that is what I believe the person I am responding to is doing by using "processed" as a way to identify foods that should be targeted for elimination or reduction in the diet. What I'm saying is that the fact that a food is processed is an irrelevant data point when determining whether or not one should eat it. When a category includes frozen broccoli, miso, PopTarts, protein powder, hot sauce, dried beans, heavy cream, Oreos, canned tomatoes, skim milk, raspberry jam, and olive oil, it's not a useful category to decide what -- if anything -- should be eliminated or reduced from the diet.