Walking is weird to people where I live -apparently

Options
So this legit just happened to me. I was walking along (keep in mind I walk the streets everyday, and all of my neighbours are pretty used to seeing me walking around), minding my own business, when a neighbour stopped by me and it went like this:

Neighbour: "Hey! You shouldn't walk so much, your legs will fall off!"
Me: "Oh no, I love to walk. It's my hobby."
Neighbour: "What was that?"
Me: "Walking is my hobby."
Neighbour: **blank stare**
Me: **looks away awkwardly**
Neighbour: "Yeah, I'd rather drive."

Is it so weird that it's a hobby for me? I guess I should have explained its not so much the walking that's the hobby, the walking is just a "mindless exercise", but it does encourage the actual hobby. I have a very active and clear imagination. A certain type of music encourages my imagination to get going, and walking makes it so clear and vibrant.

So when I walk, I put my earphones in, and I pretty much bring my imagination to the real world. I can envision myself in a complete alternate world. It's literally one of those "Watch out for that rock!" things...I am completely oblivious to everything that's actually happening around me at that point. It's one of my stress-relievers.

Anyway, it was just a really awkward situation I wanted to post. I found it weird that someone thought I was weird because I have a weird habit of walking. :lol:

Replies

• GUARDiAN_GUiLD
    GUARDiAN_GUiLD Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    https://youtu.be/BWNQTqMkezc

This is what I do.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    You will note that the vast majority these days do very little in the way of any kind of deliberate exercise...which one of the reasons everyone is friggin' fat.

I ride all the time and hit the gym 3x per week...most of my non-fitness friends think it's bizarre...they're also friggin' fat and un-fit as hell.
  • QueenofHearts023
    QueenofHearts023 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    https://youtu.be/BWNQTqMkezc

This is what I do.

I sometimes dance while walking if the music is good... I get stares on those days. :lol:
  • QueenofHearts023
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    You will note that the vast majority these days do very little in the way of any kind of deliberate exercise...which one of the reasons everyone is friggin' fat.

I ride all the time and hit the gym 3x per week...most of my non-fitness friends think it's bizarre...they're also friggin' fat and un-fit as hell.

Yeah and I think especially its weird because I am literally one of those people that mindlessly pace around. And I can walk for like 2-3 hours straight. The street is only so long... and I walk by their houses multiple times a day.. so yeah. They probably think I'm some sort of stalker haha.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    People think it's odd that I'll comfortably go for a run for 2-3 hours or go out on my road bike for a few hours to clear my head.

It's not so much walking, as directed exercise.

That said, I do see why people would think randomly walking around your neighbourhood for a few hours is a bit unusual.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Looks like you can start a new trend! Don't let it get you down. You're going great!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    People think it's odd that I'll comfortably go for a run for 2-3 hours or go out on my road bike for a few hours to clear my head.

That said, I do see why people would think randomly walking around your neighbourhood for a few hours is a bit unusual.

Yeah...if you were just pacing up and down my street, I'd probably think you were a weirdo...not because you're walking but because you're just pacing up and down the same street...and I'd probably think you were casing the neighborhood.

Why do you just pace up and down your own street? There have to be all kinds of places to walk.
  • Osiris275
    Osiris275 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I always get told from other dog owners that I walk my dogs too much. Usually from the people whose dogs get a wall once a week :/
  • QueenofHearts023
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Looks like you can start a new trend! Don't let it get you down. You're going great!

Gosh no not in my neighbourhood. It's full of overweight middle aged and old people. Mostly farmers. They're all overweight because they don't do anything they just act as managers. And they drive EVERYWHERE. The farmer that's working my dad's land, I doubt he gets even 5000 steps a day.

I do have one friend of 68, we go walking frequently together. She doesn't walk as much as me, but she's much more active than most of them.

I'm so used to walking I don't notice I'm doing it anymore. Like I literary forget I'm walking. I walk around and around the house without noticing, until people tell me "Sit down! You're making me nervous!"
  • QueenofHearts023
    Options

Yeah...if you were just pacing up and down my street, I'd probably think you were a weirdo...not because you're walking but because you're just pacing up and down the same street...and I'd probably think you were casing the neighborhood.

Why do you just pace up and down your own street? There have to be all kinds of places to walk.

I used to walk really far, but some of my neighbours are worried about my safety because I walk alone. It's not an area where there is a lot of people so yeah. Good intensions. Most neighbours are used to it, these are new people that moved here that made the comment.
  • time2cutnow
    time2cutnow Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    They don't think it's odd, they react that way because they don't have the ambition to do it and are trying to take you don't a few notches to make themselves feel better. I get comments like that all the time about the time I spend at the gym. People feel inferior so they try to justify their laziness by putting down or shaming those of us who work our *kitten* off.
  • QueenofHearts023
    Options
    kar328 wrote: »
    I grew up in NY, lived in Manhattan as an adult where you walk most of the time. When I moved to California, I was told no one walked, you drive everywhere. For most things, yes, but the person was referring to the shopping center less than a mile away. I fell into the trap and all the pounds that NYC walking kept off, returned to me and brought friends.

I'm in NC now, where lots of people walk and run. My subdivision has a few lakes, so I walk around there. Part of them go through the 55+ section of the subdivision and I'm always happy to see how many of those neighbors are out walking daily, a lot when I'm on my way home from work in the morning. I hope to be doing it for exercise when I'm in that age range.

I walk laps around the hospital floor at work (20 laps = a mile), and have been for over two years since I got a Fitbit. Coworkers used to laugh and poke fun. Now a lot of them do it with their Fitbits. I like to think I started a trend.

Walking where I live would definitely burn off a few pounds on some people here. My street for example is nothing like the streets you have in the city. It's 2 miles long! Rural area. A single street. So yeah, I walk up and down it quite a few times. About 6 miles intentional walking. The rest of the time is mindless pacing
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

Yeah and I think especially its weird because I am literally one of those people that mindlessly pace around. And I can walk for like 2-3 hours straight. The street is only so long... and I walk by their houses multiple times a day.. so yeah. They probably think I'm some sort of stalker haha.

Yeah, that's weird.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    You won't see a cop walkin' on the beat
    You only see 'em drivin' cars out on the street
    You won't see a kid walkin' home from school
    Their mothers pick 'em up in a car pool

Nobody walks in LA
  • QueenofHearts023
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »

Yeah, that's weird.

Ah well weird is good for my weight loss :lol:
  • DYELB
    DYELB Posts: 7,407 Member
    Options
    maxresdefault.jpg
  • QueenofHearts023
    Options
    DYELB wrote: »
    maxresdefault.jpg

Guard against the weird walking lady :joy:
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Yeah, that's weird.

Can you go elsewhere besides that one street?
  • QueenofHearts023
    Options
    PikaKnight wrote: »

Yeah, that's weird.

Can you go elsewhere besides that one street?

I could I suppose.