Walking is weird to people where I live -apparently

Options

Replies

• KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    here too, they think I am nuts, they all come out and stare at me, but I do not care, I am healthy and feeling good and they all sit inside all day and night and do nothing, I will go around the block walking, then running, then biking, then roller blading, I get asked all the time if I am training for a marathon, um, no,,, I like my exercise and feeling good.they are wackos.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Somewhere on MFP, someone is starting a thread about how they really really want to go run, but their neighbor has been pacing up and down their street for hours now, and its kind of freaking them out.

In that thread, people are advising calling the cops, pepper spray, and guns.
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    In the summer I was strolling round my neighbourhood and it was such a nice day that what was originally going to be a three mile walk turned into a six mile walk and then into a ten mile walk. A UPS driver stopped me and asked me how much further I was planning on going and did I know where I was, because he kept seeing me when he was doing his rounds and was concerned I was lost.

I love walking.
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Somewhere on MFP, someone is starting a thread about how they really really want to go run, but their neighbor has been pacing up and down their street for hours now, and its kind of freaking them out.

Ah but in that thread the protagonist was in a wheelchair and out at night, and therefore up to no good!
  • angelamichelle_xo
    angelamichelle_xo Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    they are the weird ones.

walking is awesome.
  • happymom221
    happymom221 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I live in a walkable neighborhood and we always walk to our charming little
    Downtown. I walked to the bank with my dog (always welcomed with a
    Dog treat) the clerk thought it was so weird and why wouldn't I just use the drive up machine. We love walking and doing our errands
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    The car park at my local gym is always full....
    Now that's weird.

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    here too, they think I am nuts, they all come out and stare at me, but I do not care, I am healthy and feeling good and they all sit inside all day and night and do nothing, I will go around the block walking, then running, then biking, then roller blading, I get asked all the time if I am training for a marathon, um, no,,, I like my exercise and feeling good.they are wackos.

Yeah, *they*'are the wackos. Meanwhile there's an entire world to explore but you're circling your block over and over like it's a Hot Wheels track
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

Ah but in that thread the protagonist was in a wheelchair and out at night, and therefore up to no good!

Antagonist. The protagonist believes that it's perfectly normal for her to be outside but that anyone else outside is obviously there because she is outside. She's the most interesting person in the world and everyone bases their actions on her movements
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »

Antagonist. The protagonist believes that it's perfectly normal for her to be outside but that anyone else outside is obviously there because she is outside. She's the most interesting person in the world and everyone bases their actions on her movements

Thanks! I knew it was wrong but couldn't think of a better word! I'm going through a thick day week time.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    I use walking as my main form of transportation (we own a car but live in a downtown core, so it's usually easier to not deal with parking, plus I have just about anything I could possibly need within a mile or two max. I pretty much only drive for a big grocery shop once a week to two weeks.) I walk to work, I walk to pick up a few things at the store, I walk to meet friends, etc etc etc. And I live in a place that has long, frigid winters but I have a great parka, boots, etc.

Everyone thinks I'm crazy, including my husband, friends, and coworkers, but I enjoy it, it's good for me (especially because I have an office job) and I don't think spending even an hour walking to get somewhere is a bad use of my time, mostly. I listen to audiobooks a lot and I find it relaxing, so I will continue to turn down rides home and continue showing up places with a change of shoes. People can deal with my weirdness.
  • fourterrys
    fourterrys Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    It's funny- when I'm out walking to "get exercise" people cheer me on, but when I tell someone I walked to the bank (1.5 miles) or to get my haircut (almost 2 miles). They tell me I'm weird. Why not combine the exercise with something I need to do? It's amazing how many places I walk to now that I used to drive to!
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    So when I walk, I put my earphones in, and I pretty much bring my imagination to the real world. I can envision myself in a complete alternate world.

I don't think I would share that part, then people will think you are crazy. ;)

I think we all go into our own heads when we walk. It's like showering. It lets your mind wander while you are doing a physical task that doesn't require much concentration. I have a friend in a small neighborhood that gets a lot of @#$ from her neighbors for doing what you do, basically covering the same ground multiple times. She does so for safety, the area outside the small neighborhood isn't pedestrian friendly. Amazing how walking got 'weird'.

I walk at lunch and coworkers who see me walking are like, 'wow, I can't believe you walked all the way down to x!' like it is super far. I only walk 3 miles a day, takes me about an hour, not that crazy!
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Sorry op but if I saw someone walking up and down my street for 2+ hours a day I would think it was weird and possibly suspicious. I walk and run but I don't just go up and down my street a million times
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »
    Osiris275 wrote: »
    I always get told from other dog owners that I walk my dogs too much. Usually from the people whose dogs get a wall once a week :/

someone told me that i shouldn't run my border collie mix. I laughed super hard

That's hilarious. Working dog breeds are notorious for having behavior issues when they don't get enough exercise.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    kar328 wrote: »
    I grew up in NY, lived in Manhattan as an adult where you walk most of the time. When I moved to California, I was told no one walked, you drive everywhere. For most things, yes, but the person was referring to the shopping center less than a mile away. I fell into the trap and all the pounds that NYC walking kept off, returned to me and brought friends.

I'm in NC now, where lots of people walk and run. My subdivision has a few lakes, so I walk around there. Part of them go through the 55+ section of the subdivision and I'm always happy to see how many of those neighbors are out walking daily, a lot when I'm on my way home from work in the morning. I hope to be doing it for exercise when I'm in that age range.

I walk laps around the hospital floor at work (20 laps = a mile), and have been for over two years since I got a Fitbit. Coworkers used to laugh and poke fun. Now a lot of them do it with their Fitbits. I like to think I started a trend.

Walking where I live would definitely burn off a few pounds on some people here. My street for example is nothing like the streets you have in the city. It's 2 miles long! Rural area. A single street. So yeah, I walk up and down it quite a few times. About 6 miles intentional walking. The rest of the time is mindless pacing

So it sounds like you only go up and down the 2 mile street about one to three times? Which I don't think is weird. I would think The neighbors would get used to it and even wonder where you are when you don't show up :)

And who's looking out their window all the time, anyway??
  • GUARDiAN_GUiLD
    GUARDiAN_GUiLD Posts: 163 Member
    Options

Screw those wackos. If you like to get around the block, more power to ya'!

(I'm sooooo sorry :D:D:D:D I swear I'm joking.)
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    I live in an area with everything within walking distance (1 mile or less). Naturally (well, to me, anyway), I walk to run errands, shop, drop kids at school and bus stop, etc. Apparently, I'm the krazzyy one. Been offered rides home from "concerned" neighbors I run into at the shops.

And seriously, my youngest child's bus stop is 1/4 mile from our house, middle child's is 1/2 mile. Our next door neighbors drive similar aged children to and from the stops. They think I'm "hard" on my kids for "forcing" them to walk with me. Sigh...

I'm not that old, but I do say in my mind, "back in my day, there was no bussing for kids that lived 2 miles from school, and we walked and biked EVERYWHERE. For FUN."

Lol and smh at the same time.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Which is why most of your neighbours probably look like...

9xq5shicb3jk.jpg

I've notice more runners in my neighbourhood over the last few years and I'll walk to the store if I'm only picking up a few small things (it's less than a mile each way) but most people still drive....and I try to ride my bike to work 2 or 3 times per week weather permitting.

If you're walking on the road (I know lots of neighbourhoods no longer have sidewalks) I'd probably lose the headphones just so i could hear oncoming cars, the birds singing etc....
  • GUARDiAN_GUiLD
    GUARDiAN_GUiLD Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Walking to the dog park right now and I accidentally threw the rubber ball into somebody's yard. I was thinking about jumping over the fence when the ball shot back out. I think my dog looked at me for like a second, perplexed, wondering what just happened.