Walking is weird to people where I live -apparently

Options

Replies

• QueenofHearts023
    QueenofHearts023 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty proud of my walking today. I walked 156minutes. (That I could remember and log, probably more than that.) It's a life saver. I overate today, and I pretty much walked myself from a few hundred calories over maintenance back into a deficit.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    Maybe they just think it's weird that you consider it a hobby. If you're happy and it's working for you then let them think you're weird. I have weird neighbors and I think they're awesome.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I do think it's kind of odd to walk up and down the same street all day long when there's another street available. It seems kind of boring. But you're not hurting anybody so who cares. I walk on a treadmill facing a cinder block wall for 45 minutes at a time on many days. That's weird.
  • QueenofHearts023
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I do think it's kind of odd to walk up and down the same street all day long when there's another street available. It seems kind of boring. But you're not hurting anybody so who cares. I walk on a treadmill facing a cinder block wall for 45 minutes at a time on many days. That's weird.

I guess I'm so captivated by everything going on in my imagination when I walk that I don't notice the street anymore.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    Osiris275 wrote: »
    I always get told from other dog owners that I walk my dogs too much. Usually from the people whose dogs get a wall once a week :/

someone told me that i shouldn't run my border collie mix. I laughed super hard
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Celebrate the weirdness fellow walker!
  • carmkizzle
    carmkizzle Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    They don't think it's odd, they react that way because they don't have the ambition to do it and are trying to take you don't a few notches to make themselves feel better. I get comments like that all the time about the time I spend at the gym. People feel inferior so they try to justify their laziness by putting down or shaming those of us who work our *kitten* off.

Right.
  • GUARDiAN_GUiLD
    GUARDiAN_GUiLD Posts: 163 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I'm walking with my dogs right now. I got my shirt off and I'm pushing a stroller with a Tyrion Lannister wax figure sitting in it.

So far no complaints. B)
  • aerochic42
    aerochic42 Posts: 822 Member
    Options
    I've had numerous people ask if I wanted a ride somewhere when walking to the gym. I ride into work with my husband and he sometimes has a longer day than me so I walk just over a mile to the gym and then do my real workout mostly to kill time. I just figure I can use it as my warm-up. Yea I have a backpack, but nobody asks the cyclists or the runners if they need or want a ride. I will grant that over a short portion there is no shoulder, bike path or sidewalk but still.

Actually thinking about it, I've had people ask if I need a ride when walking at lunch without my bag. So yes I guess it is weird in my area.
  • Rachel0778
    Rachel0778 Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »
    I always get told from other dog owners that I walk my dogs too much. Usually from the people whose dogs get a wall once a week :/

I'm glad I'm not the only one! I got told my 2 year old pit bull's hips were going to go out since he gets so much exercise. Yeah...an hour a day is only going to strengthen his body, not degrade it.
  • QueenofHearts023
    Options
    Rachel0778 wrote: »

I'm glad I'm not the only one! I got told my 2 year old pit bull's hips were going to go out since he gets so much exercise. Yeah...an hour a day is only going to strengthen his body, not degrade it.
    aerochic42 wrote: »
    I've had numerous people ask if I wanted a ride somewhere when walking to the gym. I ride into work with my husband and he sometimes has a longer day than me so I walk just over a mile to the gym and then do my real workout mostly to kill time. I just figure I can use it as my warm-up. Yea I have a backpack, but nobody asks the cyclists or the runners if they need or want a ride. I will grant that over a short portion there is no shoulder, bike path or sidewalk but still.

Actually thinking about it, I've had people ask if I need a ride when walking at lunch without my bag. So yes I guess it is weird in my area.

I wish my cats would walk with me...but they would probably keel over from exhaustion :lol:
  • GUARDiAN_GUiLD
    GUARDiAN_GUiLD Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I just did pull ups on one of the street signs. Cars didn't seem to slow down nor care.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    Boy, wait til they find out about the lady who started the "prancing" movement. Now that's weird!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options

mine has done HM with me and still wants to play later. and she's six.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

I mean, it's not like their body was built for walking/traveling/running...or anything like that AMIRITE!

:laugh: :wink:
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Walking stimulates creativity! :) Just tell 'em you're thinking.

http://news.stanford.edu/news/2014/april/walking-vs-sitting-042414.html
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    People are strange. Be strange back.

Tell them you decided to start a neighborhood watch, and that after some of the things you see going on, you can't stand to not be out walking and watching. When they ask what you saw, just tell them you don't have time and have to remain vigilant or it might happen again.
  • minniestar55
    minniestar55 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I like Nordic walking as one of my ways to work out; sometimes I don't have time to go out to the rural & beach paths so do a 3-4 mile circuit around local park. I get people slowing down in cars staring, taking photos, etc...like I'm a Martian!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I'm walking with my dogs right now. I got my shirt off and I'm pushing a stroller with a Tyrion Lannister wax figure sitting in it.

So far no complaints. B)

That's so random

I love that @GUARDiAN_GUiLD
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I'd take that as someone just politely passing the time of day, but then I react badly if I ask someone "how are you?" and they actually tell me ;-)