Walking is weird to people where I live -apparently

Options
124»

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    Walking to the dog park right now and I accidentally threw the rubber ball into somebody's yard. I was thinking about jumping over the fence when the ball shot back out. I think my dog looked at me for like a second, perplexed, wondering what just happened.

BHAHAHAAAAAAAA i can so see my dog getting that look on her face!

(keep in mind i live out in the country) yesterday or the day before (dont remember which) i was out jogging with my dog and a truck pulls up next to me with an old guy in it (i know him). He leans over and asks me if i need a ride somewhere, then looks closer (i guess LOL) and goes ... ' oh youre out getting yer exercise thar' .... all i could do was laugh and say 'yes sir..... '

gotta love the south ;)
  • ZRx4
    ZRx4 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Haha! I love to walk too! I walk my kids a mile to school a couple times a day. One goes in the morning and the other in the afternoon, once my afternoon drop off is done, I'll get a 4 miler in and sometimes walk to target or the grocery store for bananas or whatever, and back to the school for pickup. people think I'm weird too. It's teaching my kids good habits tho... And good for the environment.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I get in over 20,000 steps every day without leaving my street. I did explain to my neighbours that I'm not some crazy lady pacing around my yard/culdesac. They're all used to it now, and even inspired a couple of them to get a fitbit :lol:
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I get in over 20,000 steps every day without leaving my street. I did explain to my neighbours that I'm not some crazy lady pacing around my yard/culdesac. They're all used to it now, and even inspired a couple of them to get a fitbit :lol:

Saying it doesn't necessarily make it true.

:wink:
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I lived out in the country for awhile and we hopped into the car to go EVERYWHERE. Things seemed farther away and it was kind of strange to walk through a stretch of country before getting to the store. I'm pretty sure 95% of the town was over weight.

Now I live in NYC and if I drove to the store or even work people would think I was crazy.
  • courtneylykins5
    courtneylykins5 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Your walking isn't crazy. Each to their own. I would be concerned that you are so unaware of your surroundings. Personally I save the headphones for the gym. When I'm out in my neighborhood I want to hear if cars, or people, or dogs (there is a toy poodle who jumps on my leg every day) are coming up behind me or if one of the neighbors calls a hello from the porch.
  • QueenofHearts023
    QueenofHearts023 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Your walking isn't crazy. Each to their own. I would be concerned that you are so unaware of your surroundings. Personally I save the headphones for the gym. When I'm out in my neighborhood I want to hear if cars, or people, or dogs (there is a toy poodle who jumps on my leg every day) are coming up behind me or if one of the neighbors calls a hello from the porch.

Yeah, that's why I tend to stick to the same street hahaha.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »

HaHa , the truth is I couldn't care less what my neighbours think, I'm doing this for me!
    I hate walking out on the roads, with the traffic, and every man and his dog gawking at you as if they've never seen a woman before :rage: I used to do miles around the neighbourhoods, but 9 times out of 10 I used to get home peeved off and annoyed, and it put me off going out again..
  • Erfw7471
    Erfw7471 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »
    Osiris275 wrote: »
    I always get told from other dog owners that I walk my dogs too much. Usually from the people whose dogs get a wall once a week :/

someone told me that i shouldn't run my border collie mix. I laughed super hard

Haha, do what now? My 6yo Aussie shep/ border collie mix can easily do minimum 3 miles a day plus extra play time. If it weren't for her I wouldn't be out as much as I am - but if I don't she's such a brat.
  • myfelinepal
    myfelinepal Posts: 13,000 Member
    Options

HaHa , the truth is I couldn't care less what my neighbours think, I'm doing this for me!
    I hate walking out on the roads, with the traffic, and every man and his dog gawking at you as if they've never seen a woman before :rage: I used to do miles around the neighbourhoods, but 9 times out of 10 I used to get home peeved off and annoyed, and it put me off going out again..

Sometimes we have issues in life that we need to look internally at ourselves rather than externally at others.
  • Christine_72
    Options

Sometimes we have issues in life that we need to look internally at ourselves rather than externally at others.

yeah, I don't know what it is. But I hate being stared at by strange men. It's rude and creepy. Zero trauma or problems in my past. Anyway this is veering waaay off topic.

• doosalily15
    doosalily15 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    https://youtu.be/BWNQTqMkezc

This is what I do.

I sometimes dance while walking if the music is good... I get stares on those days. :lol:

Same here or sing & when my favorite part of song begins I dance or stretch out my arms &sometimes like I'm a band director LMBO!
  • QueenofHearts023
    QueenofHearts023 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    https://youtu.be/BWNQTqMkezc

This is what I do.

I sometimes dance while walking if the music is good... I get stares on those days. :lol:

Same here or sing & when my favorite part of song begins I dance or stretch out my arms &sometimes like I'm a band director LMBO!

We should all find ways to make our workouts more enjoyable, increases the chances of sticking to them long term. :)
  • doosalily15
    doosalily15 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Hi there hope u all r still walking
  • huntersvonnegut
    huntersvonnegut Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    I walk around my neighborhood everyday. I expect there are people who drive by and shake their heads but the only people who have ever said anything to me are people who've complimented me or to tell me I'm their motivation. To the OP, pay those who think you're weird no never minds.
  • baoyaoren
    baoyaoren Posts: 11 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    The last times I visited my father's old village, I realized something: Before, I'd taken my relatives' word for it that it was so isolated and that you needed a car to get around. Bus sercive twice a day.
    But when I was there last ... I realized that the next train station is not even 5km from the centre of the village; a distance many people easily walk or cycle in my hometown (and said train station is served by regional trains several times per hour). A distance I easily walk home to relax a bit after work or school. Of course, things are different if you have limited mobility, be it because of age, physical condition or having children to tend to ... but able-bodied adults? It seemed ... like they had a built an invisible wall.
  • Go_Deskercise
    Go_Deskercise Posts: 1,630 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    My coworkers think I'm weird because I walk around the perimeter of the parking lot :D (sometimes multiple laps)
    It's a small building with no stairs and although the parking lot isn't very big either, it gets be outside and away from my cubicle for a couple mins