40+yrs motivation group. We aren't getting any younger!

Replies

• hdatres
    hdatres Posts: 635 Member
    I'm 40 . 5'5" my goul is to loose 100 lbs in a year. My calorie intake is 1300 a day I've been at this for 45 days and haven't lost a pound!!!! Gerrr!!!!!
  • bbordner
    bbordner Posts: 59 Member
    Did my first weekly weigh-in on the new scale, down 1.4 lbs. So pretty much on track for one pound per week. Still working on rewiring my brain and body to what a proper portion is, but am sticking with it so far.
  • williammuney
    williammuney Posts: 2,895 Member
    Mentally I'm 22
  • BinaryFu
    BinaryFu Posts: 240 Member
    edited May 2016
    hdatres wrote: »
    I'm 40 . 5'5" my goul is to loose 100 lbs in a year. My calorie intake is 1300 a day I've been at this for 45 days and haven't lost a pound!!!! Gerrr!!!!!

There's lots of reasons why that could be - the most common ones are:
    1) You're measuring food, not weighing - that can cause major inaccuracies in what you're consuming.
    2) Your calorie goals are off.
    3) You're working out and the calories burned is being estimated too high by whatever you're using to record it.
    4) You're working out and losing fat but gaining muscle. Zero gain, zero loss, but inches will slowly be shed from your body - taking measurements may help.

CICO works unless you have a rare medical disorder. :wink:

Go through everything and make sure:

1) You use a food scale. I know, I know, it sounds like a bother, but it means *everything* when it comes to accurately knowing what you're putting in your body.
    2) Log *everything* you eat - there are no "free calories" in this lifestyle change. Lying is only going to hurt the one person you're doing this for - yourself.
    3) Make sure to be honest with your calorie goals. *I* would love to consider myself a Light or Moderate activity person. The reality of it is, I'm Sedentary. I don't stand on my feet all day long, I'm not walking long distances (and not recording it as exercise) so Sedentary is right for me.

I'm a firm believer everyone should be set up as Sedentary and then anything they do for exercise should be recorded - I feel it's a lot more accurate that way.

If you're still struggling after all of this, don't be afraid to ask for some friends to help out. We can check out your dairy (if you make sure it's open to friends) and we can have an honest heart to heart on what's going on.

We're all in this together.
  • KimF0715
    KimF0715 Posts: 114 Member
    Will be 45 in July and I am completely FRUSTRATED by my lack of will power and motivation. I used to WORK in the fitness industry as a trainer and nutrition consultant for Heaven's sake!!! Why is this so hard now? Why do I feel like I'd rather go to the electric chair than the treadmill???? When did curling up in bed at 8pm start to feel fantastic?

I've hit the wall. Here comes summer...with said birthday...and I look like hell.

Vent over.

• wrknonmedaily
    wrknonmedaily Posts: 203 Member
    I have falling off the wagon and need to get back on. 45 in September. Besides all my body pain is back. Feel like I really fell off a wagon. It's the bad junk food I eat that causes inflammation. Once I stopped
    the junk food I had NO pain so I am starting again.
  • williammuney
    williammuney Posts: 2,895 Member
    I will not allow my age to define my fitness level ... Period I don't care what it takes
  • paoh21
    paoh21 Posts: 1 Member
    I'm in.
  • bbordner
    Had some bumps over the weekend, though still logged even the disappointing days. Back on track now and just had a great session on the stationary bike at the gym.

How's everyone else doing so far this week?
  • hdatres
    hdatres Posts: 635 Member
    bbordner wrote: »
    Had some bumps over the weekend, though still logged even the disappointing days. Back on track now and just had a great session on the stationary bike at the gym.

I got off track with making homemade ham pot pie. Lots of calories! But hubby and I are planing a muddy nature hike/walk this Friday, which will be very interesting, because he's not really a nature person and he don't like to get dirty, but he's willing to do it for me, lol
  • RunningNeeNee69
    RunningNeeNee69 Posts: 37 Member
    I will be 47 in a few weeks got about 30/40 pds I need to lose..I need friends for motivation to keep going every day..I try and run at least 1-2 5ks every weekend...
  • tisdalla
    tisdalla Posts: 32 Member
    Hi all - haven't checked in here in a while. Hope everyone is doing well! I'm having a hard time with snacking due to a motivational slump in my meal planning. Any tips for getting excited about planning out meals & grocery shopping? I already cleaned and organized the fridge hoping that would help but no dice
  • bbordner
    For me sometimes it helps to remind myself of why I'm doing this and even look at the before picture to kick myself in the rear and re-energize that "never-again" drive.
  • scubakat67
    scubakat67 Posts: 485 Member
    Focus on something small @tisdalla. When I have trouble finding my "mo" I go back to making things simple and focus on something that is relatively easy to accomplish (usually for me, it's breakfast). I'm terrible with meal planning - have grand aspirations of doing it, but the reality is it just doesn't happen. If I keep things simple, it's easier to find and increase that will power because you don't have to think about your choices.

Just pick a few meals you're used to that are very simple and only pick up those items on your list. Before you know it, you'll be back in the groove. You can do it!
  • AndrewBerzak
    AndrewBerzak Posts: 5 Member
    Hello all. Im new to this world. Fitness eating proper and these message boards. Im looking to become a part of a wonderful supportive motivated group. I love to cook and am in my 40s.
  • Ant488
    Ant488 Posts: 372 Member
    True! Feel free to add me.
  • kelbels1
    kelbels1 Posts: 83 Member
    bbordner wrote: »

Like I could have done a lot better. Been trying to really motivate myself but I have been really tired this week. Company, daughter having surgery and another in the near future, watching 2 grand babies all week, last week of school for my 16 year old .... I feel like i need a win.

I feel like I need to start at the beginning and build my basics back.
  • KetoFairy
    KetoFairy Posts: 8 Member
    Hi there.... 53 in July, female, gradually correcting my health and metabolism. Currently at just under 85kg, heading for 60kg. I follow a low carbohydrate, moderate protein, moderate fat way of eating, supported by supplements and walking/zumba. Will be starting HIIT as soon as I have somewhere to put my stationary bike. Would love some new friends, feel free to reach out :smile:
  • bbordner
    Did my weight check-in today, down 3.4 lbs! Less than 10 lbs to my first intermediate goal of 175 lbs.
  • kelbels1
    kelbels1 Posts: 83 Member
    When I go on vacation or a weekend get away I find it so hard to log in my diary. I am eating good still but know I could better if I was logging. I think I get frustrated not being able to calculate accurately the calories and I go the "I will do this later" mode. Unfortunately later never comes. Any tips or trick that work for you guys. I have a lot of small trips this summer so I need to figure it out.