40+yrs motivation group. We aren't getting any younger!

Replies

• Valpinglow
    Valpinglow Posts: 31 Member
    Hi. Just turned 42 here. Been doing MFP intermittently for several years. After a couple injuries, I now find myself at my heaviest weight ever. I'm in graduate school so I'm not sure how much I can commit to this thread but I sent a few friend requests out to those of you who seem similar to me. I think just having some people with similar goals show up on my feed will help. I've been thinking of joining up with a Fitocracy Coach too.
  • plumppork
    plumppork Posts: 22 Member
    edited February 2016
    I'm 53. Fell off the Fit Pal wagon for a while and trying to get back on track. To be honest my weakness is chips.
    Trying to get back into working out and eating healthy. Could use some junk food craving.. gave that up for veggies friends.
  • sparklyglitterbomb
    sparklyglitterbomb Posts: 458 Member
    My people! :)
  • kelbels1
    kelbels1 Posts: 83 Member
    In my facebook timeline MyFitnessPal is asking the question "what is the best piece of advice of health advice you have received" here is my answer.

Weight loss is 80% diet and 20% exercise. My doctor, is a sports medicine doctor for a well known sports organization told me this. When I stopped thinking I could exercise away the extra calories the weight finally came off. The exercise is helpings be stronger, keep it off, feel better, and look better with the weight loss.
  • fabulousmo
    fabulousmo Posts: 41 Member
    Yes! Please accept my membership application! Turned 44 in December. I am 5'5" and weigh 155 lbs. My first goal is to get down to 140 lbs. Main form of exercise is walking with trips to the gym 2 - 3 times a week for (surprise!) more walking (treadmill) plus a circuit of 9 weight machines. I am relying on the 1200 calorie a day diet that MFP has arranged for me to lose the weight, as I've never been a gym fanatic, but have always been lightly active. Let's do this!
  • jenf040315
    jenf040315 Posts: 2 Member
    Hi everyone! Just turned 41 and after battling thyroid issues, finally down 8 lbs. My goal was 10 with a side goal of 15; which I never even entertained. I'm only 2 lbs from my goal and it's only February so my side goal is a possibility! I am a C25K drop out, so I started using the Zombies, Run! 5k app and another app on Google Play called Seven (12 workouts in 7 minutes). I have to say it is totally different than couch to 5k and I'm in love with it! I'll be finishing my 1st week today. I'm currently on Garmin Connect under jenf040315 if anyone wants to link. Good luck!!
  • petersonma
    petersonma Posts: 30 Member
    Hi everyone. I'm 40 and on a slow weight loss journey at the moment. Technically less than 5 lbs from "healthy" weight. I'd feel healthier if I lost more, but am more motivated to become more active. Feel free to add me as a friend of you'd like.
  • Lee_Fitnesspla
    Lee_Fitnesspla Posts: 29 Member
    Thank you for starting this thread. I'm a 41 year old struggling with weight loss plateau. So far am getting great ideas from those others who have posted on this thread.
  • kelbels1
    kelbels1 Posts: 83 Member
    jenf040315 wrote: »
    Hi everyone! Just turned 41 and after battling thyroid issues, finally down 8 lbs. My goal was 10 with a side goal of 15; which I never even entertained. I'm only 2 lbs from my goal and it's only February so my side goal is a possibility! I am a C25K drop out, so I started using the Zombies, Run! 5k app and another app on Google Play called Seven (12 workouts in 7 minutes). I have to say it is totally different than couch to 5k and I'm in love with it! I'll be finishing my 1st week today. I'm currently on Garmin Connect under jenf040315 if anyone wants to link. Good luck!!

I am going to check out the Google app. I am also on Garmin connect as kelbels.
  • jasonmears75
    jasonmears75 Posts: 120 Member
    I'm 40, and boy is it so much harder now then when I was 35 to get those extra pounds off. Muscle gain is easy, love handles on the other hand is a different story.
  • scubakat67
    scubakat67 Posts: 485 Member
    Hi everyone! I'm 48, or am I 49? (I don't dwell too much on the number). I've been on MFP for a long time ... lose a few, gain a few, lose more, they (and their friends) find me again! I'm reinvigorating my motivation to finally lose these pounds for good! I'm hoping to tap into more community support to keep that motivation fire stoked. Feel free to friend me - I am better at keeping up with the newsfeed than I am checking the message boards.
  • Guns63
    Guns63 Posts: 23 Member
    Add me if you like. I'm 49. Lost 52lbs so far and another 45lbs or so
    to go.
  • BeckyV
    BeckyV Posts: 18 Member
    Hi all - I'm Becky. I live in Texas. I'm 44, married with 4 kiddos ranging from 9 - 24. I also have 3 beautiful grandbabies - 3 years, 1 year and 7 months. I'm not new to MFP but I am new to the boards and am at a point where I really need some motivating friends.
    228301.png
  • pittdan77
    pittdan77 Posts: 98 Member
    I'm Dan. 46 from PA. I've lost over 120 pounds and am happy to support anyone who is serious.
  • amyw423
    amyw423 Posts: 4 Member
    Hi. I'm Amy, 41 from GA. I have been on and off with eating healthy and exercising over the years. I gained the most weight over the last few years, during the time I met my husband. We were married in May. I started logging my calories on 2/15 and began exercising again. I have finally found some motivation in myself that I really needed.

5891209.png
  • Paulina1230
    Paulina1230 Posts: 215 Member
    Hi..Im 53 and had a bad health scare in August. Was diagnosed with cirrhosis of the liver and told that if I didnt lose weight and start exercising I would be looking at a liver transplant soon in my future. Since August I am down 73 pounds with 49 to go and my liver is much, much happier. No more pain and I dont feel like I have a softball in my stomach anymore. I wish it was all CICO for me, but I have had to completely eliminate certain things from my diet. No fats, no sugars, almost all meat and NO alcohol. Started out by walking everyday and running almost a minute at a time, now I walk miles and I can run a mile at a time. Cant believe its me doing this. I dont want to die because I cant give up eating junk....its not worth it. I want to be around to see my granddaughter grow up. Its been hard to realize that food almost killed me, but the right foods are healing me. I feel so lucky that Ive been given a second chance and Im not going to blow it this time. Feel free to add me as a friend if you'd like some encouragement. This site has literally been a life saver for me and I'd love to help anyone who needs it. It can be done.
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    I'm 40, and boy is it so much harder now then when I was 35 to get those extra pounds off. Muscle gain is easy, love handles on the other hand is a different story.

Funny...I find that I am able to lose weight easier now that I am in my 40's (should have put more effort into it before now) as I find that I am able to be satiated on far less food. The idea of only eating one burger and being full when I was 35 was laughable at the time...today, not an issue.
  • TriciaSmith2015
    TriciaSmith2015 Posts: 66 Member
    I'm 42 years-old, and have been on MFP since August. I'm pretty active here, and would love to have more support from 40 something MFP members!
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    46. 2nd time on the weight loss train. I lost almost 80 pounds on weight watchers 15 years ago and had kept most of it off (even though quitting smoking) till the last 2 years where medication has caused me to gain back. I've lost 15 pounds since July and about 20 inches around my body following a low carb high protein/fat diet and daily exercise with the help of a dr and nutritionist. It's so much harder to lose in my 40s than it was in my 30s, plus the whole peri menopause is here wreaking havoc on my body...feel free to add me, I'm very active on here, supportive and try to be motivating. Females only please.
  • swtvagal66
    swtvagal66 Posts: 3 Member
    I'll hit the big 50 in July. Needing to get back on the wagon after falling off of it once again!!! About a year ago I lost 25lbs. using this app, but have managed to put it all back on in the past nine months. Thinking that my hormones are on a roller coaster ride and having alot of the symptoms of peri-menopause. Just looking for encouragement and motivation to get myself back to losing weight again, Thanks!