Replies

• AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    Increasing butter sales, rising cholesterol and a 1/3 drop in CHD. :#

• AlabasterVerve
    Options
    RCT: "In the context of caloric restriction, there seems to be no additional beneficial impact of reduced red meat intake and increased fiber intake on the improvement in cardiometabolic risk parameters."

Source
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options
    This is a really good video with Eric Helms, PhD regarding building muscle and ketogenic.

https://youtu.be/xaAFKZ51Rw4
  • AlabasterVerve
    Options
    Jim Mann’s new study: are high fat diets really dangerous, or is soybean oil toxic?
    By George Henderson

Re: Effects of dietary fat on gut microbiota and faecal metabolites, and their relationship with cardiometabolic risk factors: a 6-month randomised controlled-feeding trial Source

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    It would be like claiming all carbs are dangerous when they feed someone a diet extremely high in refined and processed sugar and flours, and applying your results to diets high in fruits and vegetables.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    Lol

Saw this today:
    Effects of carbohydrate-restricted diets on low-density lipoprotein cholesterol levels in overweight and obese adults: a systematic review and meta-analysis

Carbohydrate-restricted diets showed no significant difference in low-density lipoprotein cholesterol after 6, 12, and 24 months. Although an overall pooled analysis statistically favored low-fat diets (0.07 mmol/L; 95% confidence interval [CI], 0.02–0.13; P = 0.009], this was clinically insignificant. High-density lipoprotein cholesterol and plasma triglycerides at 6 and 12 months favored carbohydrate-restricted diets (0.08 mmol/L; 95%CI, 0.06–0.11; P < 1 × 10−5 and −0.13 mmol/L; 95%CI, −0.19 to −0.08; P < 1 × 10−5, respectively). These favorable changes were more marked in the subgroup with very-low carbohydrate content (< 50 g/d; 0.12 mmol/L; 95%CI, 0.10–0.14; P < 1 × 10−5and −0.19 mmol/L; 95%CI, −0.26 to −0.12; P = 0.02, respectively).

https://academic.oup.com/nutritionreviews/article-abstract/77/3/161/5241079?redirectedFrom
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    I am becoming convinced I need to eat with my health enhancing gut microbes in mind instead of my taste buds.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Lol

Saw this today:
    Effects of carbohydrate-restricted diets on low-density lipoprotein cholesterol levels in overweight and obese adults: a systematic review and meta-analysis

Carbohydrate-restricted diets showed no significant difference in low-density lipoprotein cholesterol after 6, 12, and 24 months. Although an overall pooled analysis statistically favored low-fat diets (0.07 mmol/L; 95% confidence interval [CI], 0.02–0.13; P = 0.009], this was clinically insignificant. High-density lipoprotein cholesterol and plasma triglycerides at 6 and 12 months favored carbohydrate-restricted diets (0.08 mmol/L; 95%CI, 0.06–0.11; P < 1 × 10−5 and −0.13 mmol/L; 95%CI, −0.19 to −0.08; P < 1 × 10−5, respectively). These favorable changes were more marked in the subgroup with very-low carbohydrate content (< 50 g/d; 0.12 mmol/L; 95%CI, 0.10–0.14; P < 1 × 10−5and −0.19 mmol/L; 95%CI, −0.26 to −0.12; P = 0.02, respectively).

https://academic.oup.com/nutritionreviews/article-abstract/77/3/161/5241079?redirectedFrom

That follows my n=1. Previously, I was taking simvastatin for low HDL, but was able to improve without carbs. I no longer take simvastatin and my HDL still runs more than double what it was with carbs and medication.
  • AlabasterVerve
    Options
    New lower potassium and salt DRI's set -- no more robust then the last best guess but there you are.

Source
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking this article/study must be up-thread because I read it earlier but I'm not finding it now so am posting. I am interested in following this research.

https://www.acc.org/about-acc/press-releases/2019/03/06/10/29/low-carb-diet-tied-to-common-heart-rhythm-disorder
  • nvmomketo
    edited March 2019
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    I'm thinking this article/study must be up-thread because I read it earlier but I'm not finding it now so am posting. I am interested in following this research.

https://www.acc.org/about-acc/press-releases/2019/03/06/10/29/low-carb-diet-tied-to-common-heart-rhythm-disorder

Their definition of low carb is below 45%, which most would consider moderate or even up to high carb. Its moderate carb level is 45-52%, and high carb is 52+%. For someone like me who eats around 2000 kcal a day, their low carb level is upwards of 900 kcal of carbs or 225g a day. It's a shame they did not actually look at low carb, although to be fair, they might have some who ate less than 100-150g of carbs a day but their data is lost in the moderate carb data. :(

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

Their definition of low carb is below 45%, which most would consider moderate or even up to high carb. Its moderate carb level is 45-52%, and high carb is 52+%. For someone like me who eats around 2000 kcal a day, their low carb level is upwards of 900 kcal of carbs or 225g a day. It's a shame they did not actually look at low carb, although to be fair, they might have some who ate less than 100-150g of carbs a day but their data is lost in the moderate carb data. :(

I liken this to many studies on euglycemic DKA, where they use less than 250 mg/dl or 300 mg/dl as "normal" BG. Umm... not al all. A non-diabetic is not going to be anywhere near that. I have seen evidence that a typical non-diabetic peaks in the upper 100's (average 180 mg/dl) an hour after eating heavy carbs (oatmeal for that study), but not 250 and certainly not 300. This is why it is sometimes valuable to look at the data rather than trusting the labels and categories described in the abstract.
  • AlabasterVerve
    Options

It's BS. There's nothing to follow, IMO, but if anything comes of it - or if the study even gets published - I'll be sure to post if I see it. You might be interested in the follow up post:

• kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Never mind. Thanks for posting the study. I'm interested in following.
  • AlabasterVerve
    Options
    I'm sorry, kpk54. I didn't mean for my disdain for this study in my reply to dismiss your interest. But my response was sincere in that if the study gets published I'll be sure to post a link and if I see anything else in regards to low carb and afib I'll post regardless if I find it interesting or compelling myself.

I hope you have a nice weekend. :)